The Silkworm (A Cormoran Strike Novel) by…

The Silkworm (A Cormoran Strike Novel) (edition 2015)

by Robert Galbraith (Author)

Member:elbakerone
Title:The Silkworm (A Cormoran Strike Novel)
Authors:Robert Galbraith (Author)
Info:Mulholland Books (2015), Edition: Reprint, 464 pages
Tags:fiction, mystery, finished in 2016

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

Case Histories: A Novel by Kate Atkinson (keywestnan)
    keywestnan: Like Robert Galbraith, aka J.K. Rowling, Kate Atkinson excels at creating interesting, complex but believable characters in her series of novels about Jackson Brodie, a cop-turned-private detective. Case Histories is the first in the series -- not my absolute favorite but they're all really good and I think you should start at the beginning.… (more)
    The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (Eowyn1)

English (248)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (253)
Cormoran Strike gets hired by Leonora Quine to find her missing husband Owen Quine. He is an author that has a tendency to disappear from time to time. But Strike soon learns that there is more to Quine's disappear when he finds out that he has written a book where he pretty much insult everyone around him.

This book was so much better than the first book. The story in this book; the case was much more interesting and I didn't know in the end was the culprit. The only thing I can think of that bothered me with the book felt a bit long sometimes, not that I was bored by it, but I felt sometimes it could be a bit long-winded and my interest dropped a bit because of all the characters that Strike had to investigate and all the past history between them that Strike needed to figure out. But it could be because I really wanted to know who did it!

Strike and Robin are such a great team and I'm looking forward to reading more books with them. (without Matthew of course) ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Very good read, not unputdownable, but very enjoyable with a nice twist. ( )
  djstocko | May 9, 2019 |
In this, the second of the series, private investigator Cormoran Strike returns, this time pulled in to locate missing author Owen Quine. It seems that Quine has written a yet-unpublished manuscript which features characters based on many of those within his own life, none of them portrayed in a very favoring light. When it's learned that several copies of the manuscript have circulated amongst these acquaintances, it's anyone's guess who may be responsible for Quine's disappearance.

I felt that this follow-up was perhaps a little better than Galbraith's first in the series, partially because the subject matter tended to pull me in a little more, but also because I'm learning more about the characters and starting to become more invested in them. There were some red herrings along the way and honestly, some of the plot near the end felt a little unrealistic, but that tends to be a quality with a lot of crime fiction, I think. With this novel, I feel like Galbraith (aka Rowling) has really staked her claim in this genre, and I'll continue to read the series. I've already got Career of Evil ready to go in my reading queue. ( )
  indygo88 | May 4, 2019 |
I thought Rowling's first book as Robert Galbraith was very good, but I think this one is better. The mystery is complex and not easily solvable - though I did solve this one & I didn't in the first book. Still, the characters continue to develop and Strike and his assistant, Robin, are becoming more complex and growing in depth. The plot is complex enough to keep even good armchair sleuths attentive and sharp and turning the pages. It is well written and there is a poetry to both the prose and the justice as the book draws to its conclusion. Again in this one as the first, there are plenty of sharp turns and surprises even if you manage to solve the mystery before Strike and his writer. Looking forward to the next one! ( )
  Al-G | May 4, 2019 |
A literary who-done-it.
I have never read any Harry Potter and would probably not have read this if I hadn't been given the unabridged audio CDs by a friend. Happily it turned out to be an unexpected combination of good narration and mystery and kept my attention to the end.

Private investigator, Cormoran Strike, is visited by Eleanor Quine when her author husband can't be found. Owen Quine is known for his dramatic disappearances, so the alarm bells are slow to ring, but when Owen is found dead, Strike is the only person who believes that Eleanor is not guilty.

The character of Strike, a veteran of Afghanistan (where he lost half of one leg), is brought to life by the narration of Robert Glenister, as he attempts to make sense of the disappearance of the author. Just before he vanished, Quine released the manuscript of his new novel, full of insults and innuendos about the publishing community. Many people are angry and insulted and a whole host of possible murder suspects is produced.

Whilst I enjoyed the interaction between Strike and his assistant Robin, I was less convinced by Matthew, Robin's fiance, who objects to Robin's irregular hours and resents her devotion to her job. I hope the two of them make a go of it in subsequent books, because it seems just too obvious that they are heading for a split.

I was also not keen on the quotes at the beginning of every chapter. If you're reading, it's easy to skip these, but if you're listening they can become quite irritating. I've never understood why some authors feel that they are necessary at all.

I hadn't realised that I had started with book 2 of the series, not sure now, whether to go back to book 1 or move on to book 3. ( )
  DubaiReader | May 2, 2019 |
In the case of “The Silkworm,” it’s clear that two narrow genres of literature have been the source of inspiration: the old-fashioned detective story with its careful parsing of evidence; and the Jacobean play, renowned for its biting satire and dark fascination with betrayal and revenge, death and cruelty and corruption.

Galbraith, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stjernfelt, Agnete DorphTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, SianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wunder, DietmarErzählersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...blood and vengeance the scene, death the story,
a sword imbrued with blood, the pen that writes,
and the poet a terrible buskined tragical fellow,
with a wreath about his head of burning match instead of bays.

The Noble Spanish Soldier
Thomas Dekker
To Jenkins, without whom... he knows the rest
QUESTION
What dost thou feed on?
ANSWER
Broken sleep.
Thomas Dekker, The Noble Spanish Soldier
'Someone bloody famous,' said the hoarse voice on the end of the line, 'better've died, Strike.'

A missing author
turns up murdered – Cormoran
Strike investigates.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316206873, Hardcover)

When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first, Mrs. Quine just thinks her husband has gone off by himself for a few days-as he has done before-and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home.

But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine's disappearance than his wife realizes. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were to be published, it would ruin lives-meaning that there are a lot of people who might want him silenced.

When Quine is found brutally murdered under bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a ruthless killer, a killer unlike any Strike has encountered before... A compulsively readable crime novel with twists at every turn, THE SILKWORM is the second in the highly acclaimed series featuring Cormoran Strike and his determined young assistant, Robin Ellacott.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:37 -0400)

When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first, Mrs. Quine just thinks her husband has gone off by himself for a few days--as he has done before--and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home. But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine's disappearance than his wife realizes. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were to be published, it would ruin lives--meaning that there are a lot of people who might want him silenced. When Quine is found brutally murdered under bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a ruthless killer, a killer unlike any Strike has encountered before.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,865,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible