Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

Nineteen Minutes (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Jodi Picoult

7,845309426 ()219
Member:citoyenne
Title:Nineteen Minutes
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Washington Square Press (2008), Edition: 1ST, Paperback, 480 pages
Collections:Read in 2012

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult (2007)

We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (bnbookgirl, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these novels are about school shootings and the alienated teenage boys responsible for them. 'We need to talk about Kevin' depicts the complex relationships within the shooter's family, whereas 'Nineteen minutes' focuses on the larger community affected by the event.… (more)
    Columbine by Dave Cullen (jhedlund)
    Hate list by Jennifer Brown (Anonymous user)
    The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb (bnbookgirl)
    Der Abituriententag by Franz Werfel (viktoriaofbavaria)

English (295)  German (7)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (308)
Very intense book. I enjoyed the building of the characters from different angles. Each main character got a chance to give their view of the unfolding of the story. Although it doesn't have a happy ending, it is a worthwhile read and gives one pause about how society conditions and changes people. ( )
  AMKee | Jan 27, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Nataliec7 | Jan 5, 2015 |
I finished this book on a beach and bawled my eyes out, not caring who watched. I was angry and heartbroken, and knew it was exactly as it was supposed to be. ( )
  TFHetrick | Jan 2, 2015 |
The newest superior court judge, Alex Cormier, is assigned to preside over the case of the alleged Sterling High School shooter. Lawyer Jordan McAfee represents Peter - the boy who, on the day of the shooting, was found in the corner of the gymnasium holding a gun to his head with a shaky hand. Detective Patrick Ducharme has one star witness, but her story keeps changing. And there's one thing that could prove a problem for them all: that star witness is Judge Alex Cormier's daughter. ( )
  jepeters333 | Dec 28, 2014 |
Deeply disturbing and amazingly addictive. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
PART ONE: "If we don't change the direction we are headed, we will end up where we are going".
Chinese Proverb
For Emily Bestler, the finest editor and fiercest champion a girl could ask for, who makes sure I put my best foot forward, every time. Thanks for your keen eye, your cheerleading, and most of all, your friendship.
In nineteen minutes, you can mow the front lawn, color your hair, watch a third of a hockey game. In nineteen minutes, you can bake scones or get a tooth filled by a dentist; you can fold laundry for a family of five. Nineteen minutes is how long it took the Tennessee Titans to sell out of tickets to the play-offs. It's the length of a sitcom, minus the commercials. It's the driving distance from the Vermont border to the town of Sterling New Hampshire. In nineteen minutes you can order a pizza and get it delivered. You can read a story to a child or have your oil changed. You can walk a mile. You can sew a hem. In nineteen minutes, you can stop the world or just jump off it. In nineteen minutes, you can get revenge.

Sterling is an ordinary New Hampshire town where nothing ever happens-until the day its complacency is shattered by an act of violence. Josie Cormier, the daughter of the judge sitting on the case, should be the state's best witness, but she can't remember what happend before her very own eye's-or can she? As the trial progresses, fault lines between the high school and the adult community begin to show-destroying the closest of friendships and families. Nineteen minutes asks what it means to be different in our society, who the the right to jude someone else, and whether anyone is every really who they seem to be. (-back of book)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743496736, Paperback)

Best known for tackling controversial issues through richly told fictional accounts, Jodi Picoult's 14th novel, Nineteen Minutes, deals with the truth and consequences of a smalltown high-school shooting. Set in Sterling, New Hampshire, Picoult offers reads a glimpse of what would cause a 17-year-old to wake up one day, load his backpack with four guns, and kill nine students and one teacher in the span of nineteen minutes. As with any Picoult novel, the answers are never black and white, and it is her exceptional ability to blur the lines between right and wrong that make this author such a captivating storyteller.

On Peter Houghton's first day of kindergarten, he watched helplessly as an older boy ripped his lunch box out of his hands and threw it out the window. From that day on, his life was a series of humiliations, from having his pants pulled down in the cafeteria, to being called a freak at every turn. But can endless bullying justify murder? As Picoult attempts to answer this question, she shows us all sides of the equation, from the ruthless jock who loses his ability to speak after being shot in the head, to the mother who both blames and pities herself for producing what most would call a monster. Surrounding Peter's story is that of Josie Cormier, a former friend whose acceptance into the popular crowd hangs on a string that makes it impossible for her to reconcile her beliefs with her actions.

At times, Nineteen Minutes can seem tediously stereotypical-- jocks versus nerds, parent versus child, teacher versus student. Part of Picoult's gift is showing us the subtleties of these common dynamics, and the startling effects they often have on the moral landscape. As Peter's mother says at the end of this spellbinding novel, "Everyone would remember Peter for nineteen minutes of his life, but what about the other nine million?" --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:31 -0400)

The daughter of a judge in a New Hampshire school shooting case witnessed the events, but cannot remember the last several minutes of the attack.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,692,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible