Nineteen Minutes: A Novel by Jodi Picoult

Nineteen Minutes: A Novel (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Jodi Picoult

Member:tglong
Title:Nineteen Minutes: A Novel
Authors:Jodi Picoult
Info:Atria Books (2007), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 464 pages
Rating:***

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult (2007)

We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (bnbookgirl, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Both of these novels are about school shootings and the alienated teenage boys responsible for them. 'We need to talk about Kevin' depicts the complex relationships within the shooter's family, whereas 'Nineteen minutes' focuses on the larger community affected by the event.… (more)
    Columbine by Dave Cullen (jhedlund)
    Hate list by Jennifer Brown (Anonymous user)
    The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb (bnbookgirl)
    Der Abituriententag by Franz Werfel (viktoriaofbavaria)

English (298)  German (7)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (311)
As a parent of a teenager, I was hesitant to read this book. I read [b:The Sweet Hereafter|26924|The Sweet Hereafter|Russell Banks|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1167856529s/26924.jpg|1446] when my oldest was a baby and I barely made it through that book. Picoult brings to life all sides of a delicate and immediate issue in today's world -- school shootings. Just about the only people I didn't empathize in the book were the bullies. Picoult provided a sympathetic and realistic pov for the shooter, some of the victims, and their parents.

Stembie3 | Jun 14, 2015 |
Riveting, heartbreaking, one you can't put down!! ( )
  gail616 | May 27, 2015 |
After reading the first chapter of Picoult’s Nineteen Minutes, I was completely captivated and engrossed in the book and found it impossible to put down. However, that pretty much lasted to about half way.

The story follows Peter Houghton who after years of being bullied and harassed, comes to school one morning where he shoots his tormenters and others in nineteen minutes. The book starts with the shooting and then delves into the events leading up to and following the tragic incident.

I really enjoyed exploring this controversial and complex issue of being pushed to the limit. At first I despised Peter for what he did but as I continued reading from different perspectives, particularly Peter’s, I discovered that the situation is not as black and white as it may seem. Let me tell you, in no way do I commend Peter for what he did but it was interesting exploring a person’s reaction when they’re backed into a corner and enough is enough.

Nineteen minutes certainly left an impression on me as it had an uncanny ability to take me on such an emotional rollercoaster where I didn’t know who to blame or be mad at or who to feel sorry for or sympathise with. Then we reach the half way mark. I’ve come to realise that this is a pattern in Picoult’s work but the plot tends to become too dramatic and unrealistic. We get a romance, a pregnancy and an eye rolling twist thrown at us that just left me feeling annoyed and shaking my head. Perhaps Jodi should take the advice of the following words – less is more.

I applaud Jodi Picoult on taking on such a thought provoking subject matter however am disappointed by the unnecessary drama and character stereotypes that tainted the overall subject. ( )
  Veronika-ania | Mar 19, 2015 |
Very intense book. I enjoyed the building of the characters from different angles. Each main character got a chance to give their view of the unfolding of the story. Although it doesn't have a happy ending, it is a worthwhile read and gives one pause about how society conditions and changes people. ( )
  AMKee | Jan 27, 2015 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Nataliec7 | Jan 5, 2015 |
PART ONE: "If we don't change the direction we are headed, we will end up where we are going".
Chinese Proverb
For Emily Bestler, the finest editor and fiercest champion a girl could ask for, who makes sure I put my best foot forward, every time. Thanks for your keen eye, your cheerleading, and most of all, your friendship.
In nineteen minutes, you can mow the front lawn, color your hair, watch a third of a hockey game. In nineteen minutes, you can bake scones or get a tooth filled by a dentist; you can fold laundry for a family of five. Nineteen minutes is how long it took the Tennessee Titans to sell out of tickets to the play-offs. It's the length of a sitcom, minus the commercials. It's the driving distance from the Vermont border to the town of Sterling New Hampshire. In nineteen minutes you can order a pizza and get it delivered. You can read a story to a child or have your oil changed. You can walk a mile. You can sew a hem. In nineteen minutes, you can stop the world or just jump off it. In nineteen minutes, you can get revenge.

Sterling is an ordinary New Hampshire town where nothing ever happens-until the day its complacency is shattered by an act of violence. Josie Cormier, the daughter of the judge sitting on the case, should be the state's best witness, but she can't remember what happend before her very own eye's-or can she? As the trial progresses, fault lines between the high school and the adult community begin to show-destroying the closest of friendships and families. Nineteen minutes asks what it means to be different in our society, who the the right to jude someone else, and whether anyone is every really who they seem to be. (-back of book)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743496736, Paperback)

Best known for tackling controversial issues through richly told fictional accounts, Jodi Picoult's 14th novel, Nineteen Minutes, deals with the truth and consequences of a smalltown high-school shooting. Set in Sterling, New Hampshire, Picoult offers reads a glimpse of what would cause a 17-year-old to wake up one day, load his backpack with four guns, and kill nine students and one teacher in the span of nineteen minutes. As with any Picoult novel, the answers are never black and white, and it is her exceptional ability to blur the lines between right and wrong that make this author such a captivating storyteller.

On Peter Houghton's first day of kindergarten, he watched helplessly as an older boy ripped his lunch box out of his hands and threw it out the window. From that day on, his life was a series of humiliations, from having his pants pulled down in the cafeteria, to being called a freak at every turn. But can endless bullying justify murder? As Picoult attempts to answer this question, she shows us all sides of the equation, from the ruthless jock who loses his ability to speak after being shot in the head, to the mother who both blames and pities herself for producing what most would call a monster. Surrounding Peter's story is that of Josie Cormier, a former friend whose acceptance into the popular crowd hangs on a string that makes it impossible for her to reconcile her beliefs with her actions.

At times, Nineteen Minutes can seem tediously stereotypical-- jocks versus nerds, parent versus child, teacher versus student. Part of Picoult's gift is showing us the subtleties of these common dynamics, and the startling effects they often have on the moral landscape. As Peter's mother says at the end of this spellbinding novel, "Everyone would remember Peter for nineteen minutes of his life, but what about the other nine million?" --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:08 -0400)

The daughter of a judge in a New Hampshire school shooting case witnessed the events, but cannot remember the last several minutes of the attack.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,927,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible