Animal Farm: Centennial Edition by George…

Animal Farm: Centennial Edition (original 1945; edition 2003)

by George Orwell

Member:sugarbear67
Title:Animal Farm: Centennial Edition
Authors:George Orwell
Info:Plume (2003), Edition: Centennial, Paperback, 128 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

Animal Farm by George Orwell (Author) (1945)

1984 by George Orwell (Phr33k, haraldo)
    Phr33k: The theory behind the two books is the same, and if you enjoyed Animal Farm, you should read Nineteen Eighty-four
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (mikeg2)
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: Whilst this book follows one day in the life of a Soviet prisoner in a gulag as opposed to merely a worker, this is still a stunning indictment of the revolution's disregard of human life.
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (chrisharpe)
    The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (mariamreza)
    mariamreza: Another great use of allegory.
    Snowball's Chance by John Reed (infiniteletters)
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    The Accusation: Forbidden Stories from Inside North Korea by Bandi (Anonymous user)
    Fifteen Dogs by André Alexis (vancouverdeb)
    vancouverdeb: Both books use animals to illustrate human shortcomings and a base nature, animals gain human consciousness,both are allegories , and dystopian novels.
    Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return by Marjane Satrapi (weener)
    weener: A good real-life example of what a repressive government can do.
    The Descendants of Cain (UNESCO Collection of Representative Works: European) by Sun-Won Hwang (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Portrait of the mechanics and effect of Soviet-style communist takeover.
    Red Plenty: Industry! Progress! Abundance! Inside the Fifties Soviet Dream by Francis Spufford (lewbs)
    lewbs: Both books look at the shortcomings and hypocrisies of communism with some fine humor.
    The Road to Serfdom: Fiftieth Anniversary Edition by F. A. Hayek (sirparsifal)
    Mort(e) by Robert Repino (ShelfMonkey)
    Utopian Tales From Weimar by Jack Zipes (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Some of the stories in this anthology are earlier allegories with animals forming governments. The politics is just as sharp as Orwell's.
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (SqueakyChu)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (kaledrina)
    Utopia by Thomas More (luzestrella)
    luzestrella: marvelous!! definitively worth reading
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin (PaperbackPirate)

1940s (1)
Satire (1)
Read (41)
2014 (3)
(1)

English (613)  Spanish (12)  Italian (6)  Dutch (5)  French (5)  Portuguese (4)  Swedish (2)  Hebrew (2)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (654)
I cannot rate this book, right now, because I recall reading it many years ago and not being especially impressed by the book, partly because it hit too close to home and to my current situation. Perhaps, as with other books, now that I am no longer worrying about dividing long enough to get out of high school and whether or not I will be able to find enough scholarships to get to college, I can read this book in the spirit in which it was intended.
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
What can be said about "Animal Farm" that hasn't been said before? Subjectively, then, it's an enjoyable but sobering read that no doubt reveals more with each reading - not about the novel itself, but about the human nature it depicts.
I know every generation says "It's more relevant than ever", but in this administration specifically (2019)... it's more relevant than ever. ( )
  amandrake | Feb 28, 2019 |
The animals of Manor Farm revolt and take over, led by the pigs, to establish their utopian Animal Farm. But the purity of their original aim is quickly corrupted by internal power struggles and deceit. ( )
  AccyP | Feb 24, 2019 |
When I first started in the human services, way back while still at Uni, I was schedulled to work overnights for a while at a group home. I read this novel my first night. There are more symbols than I'd like to admit in my subsequent career. I've read three times since and remain amazed. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
I'm a little upset that I'm just now getting around to reading this book. It was never assigned to be read in middle school/high school/college. After watching so many people talk about this book in their T5W Required Reading videos, I thought I should get it read. I loved it!!! ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |

Woodldridge, IanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Mr. Jones, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the popholes.
For once Benjamin consented to break his rule, and he read out to her what was written on the wall. There was nothing there now except a single Commandment. It ran:
ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS
These people don't see that if you encourage totalitarian methods, the time may come when they will be used against you instead of for you. [from preface]
Make a habit of imprisoning Fascists without trial, and perhaps the process won't stop at Fascists. [from preface]
To exchange one orthodoxy for another is not necessarily an advance. [from preface]
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. [from preface]
Orwell's allegory of the Soviet revolution remains as lucid and compelling as ever. In beautifully clear prose, he gives us a vivid gallery of characters and a fable that conveys the truth about how we are manipulated through language and the impossibility of finding heaven on earth.
"The old king is dead!
"The farm overflows with good things."
"We'll let you know."

(one-horse.library)
"Wake, Boxer, with cause!"
Friends offer snake-sly wisdom.
The wheel turns, grates on.

(one-horse.library)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451526341, Mass Market Paperback)

Since its publication in 1946, George Orwell's fable of a workers' revolution gone wrong has rivaled Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea as the Shortest Serious Novel It's OK to Write a Book Report About. (The latter is three pages longer and less fun to read.) Fueled by Orwell's intense disillusionment with Soviet Communism, Animal Farm is a nearly perfect piece of writing, both an engaging story and an allegory that actually works. When the downtrodden beasts of Manor Farm oust their drunken human master and take over management of the land, all are awash in collectivist zeal. Everyone willingly works overtime, productivity soars, and for one brief, glorious season, every belly is full. The animals' Seven Commandment credo is painted in big white letters on the barn. All animals are equal. No animal shall drink alcohol, wear clothes, sleep in a bed, or kill a fellow four-footed creature. Those that go upon four legs or wings are friends and the two-legged are, by definition, the enemy. Too soon, however, the pigs, who have styled themselves leaders by virtue of their intelligence, succumb to the temptations of privilege and power. "We pigs are brainworkers. The whole management and organisation of the farm depend on us. Day and night, we are watching over your welfare. It is for your sake that we drink that milk and eat those apples." While this swinish brotherhood sells out the revolution, cynically editing the Seven Commandments to excuse their violence and greed, the common animals are once again left hungry and exhausted, no better off than in the days when humans ran the farm. Satire Animal Farm may be, but it's a stony reader who remains unmoved when the stalwart workhorse, Boxer, having given his all to his comrades, is sold to the glue factory to buy booze for the pigs. Orwell's view of Communism is bleak indeed, but given the history of the Russian people since 1917, his pessimism has an air of prophecy. --Joyce Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:41 -0400)

A satire on totalitarianism in which farm animals overthrow their human owner and set up their own government.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182709, 0141036133, 014139305X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible