Animal Farm by George Orwell

Animal Farm (original 1945; edition 2004)

by George Orwell

35,55546717 (4)717
Member:jsmileytigg
Title:Animal Farm
Authors:George Orwell
Info:1st World Library - Literary Society (2004), Paperback, 116 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Animal Farm by George Orwell (1945)

1940s (1)
Unread books (1,039)
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (Phr33k, haraldo)
    Phr33k: The theory behind the two books is the same, and if you enjoyed Animal Farm, you should read Nineteen Eighty-four
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (mikeg2)
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (chrisharpe)
    The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (mariamreza)
    mariamreza: Another great use of allegory.
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: Whilst this book follows one day in the life of a Soviet prisoner in a gulag as opposed to merely a worker, this is still a stunning indictment of the revolution's disregard of human life.
    Persepolis II: The Story of a Return by Marjane Satrapi (weener)
    weener: A good real-life example of what a repressive government can do.
    Snowball's Chance by John Reed (infiniteletters)
    Red Plenty: Industry! Progress! Abundance! Inside the Fifties Soviet Dream by Francis Spufford (lewbs)
    lewbs: Both books look at the shortcomings and hypocrisies of communism with some fine humor.
    The Descendants of Cain (UNESCO Collection of Representative Works: European) by Sun-Won Hwang (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Portrait of the mechanics and effect of Soviet-style communist takeover.
    The Road to Serfdom by F. A. Hayek (sirparsifal)
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (SqueakyChu)
    Utopian Tales from Weimar by Jack Zipes (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Some of the stories in this anthology are earlier allegories with animals forming governments. The politics is just as sharp as Orwell's.
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (kaledrina)
    Utopia by Thomas More (luzestrella)
    luzestrella: marvelous!! definitively worth reading
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin (PaperbackPirate)
    The Revolution: A Manifesto by Ron Paul (ChrisSlavens)

English (435)  Spanish (9)  Portuguese (4)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (466)
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
Whoever tells me this book isn't something, surely hasn't understood the moral supposed to be taken out of these words.
Animal Farm is, of course, situated in an Animal Farm on which the animals take over the administration of the farm. You get a 'communist' farm, where all animals work as equals (but then again you'll find out they really don't). The farm stands on 7 basic commandments, which, in a sum mention: humans are enemies, w/ wings or 4 legs is a friend, animals can't wear clothes/sleep in a bed/drink alcohol/kill other animals and all animals are equal.
The thing is, along the storyline you manage to percieve a will from the pigs, who originally rule the farm, to become more like humans. They shape the rules to fit their prefered life style, and years after, pigs are more like humans than the humans.

This is a terrifying story, I must admit. Read it all in one sitting while bored at a bookstore and, despite some dull parts, it managed to keep me hooked. The thing is, you must think. It truly does make you think. I will sound dumb, probably, but I don't know much about politics. I have seen reviews on this very website comparing Animal Farm to happenings in our world's history but unfortunatelly I didn't really percieve. However, I still enjoyed this book.
Because you really notice where greed and prejudice and get you. It is a hell of a book, even if a short one. ( )
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
Writing: 5.0; great writing
Theme: 5.0; animals take over a farm; Orwell uses animalism to show the evils of Communism, but I believe he succeeds in showing the evil of Socialism and Communism
Content: 5.0; understanding that Orwell's goal was to glorify his socialistic ideas, however, he does a wonderful job of show the evil of both types of these dictatorial systems
Language: 5.0; nothing objectionable

Overall: 5.0; great illustration of why by Socialism and Communism are evil and do not work; capitalism is the best economic system in the world

***September 12, 2014*** ( )
  jntjesussaves | Sep 12, 2014 |
I read Animal Farm the first time in high school (cough, a few years ago). It arrived in the mail a few days ago as part of my son's summer reading assignment for his history class. (I've been having fun re-reading some of his required reading books and discovering some I hadn't read, like The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros.)

So I picked his copy up. It's a pretty quick read, maybe three hours or so. George Orwell writes really well; his writing flows. It's written as a fairy tale -- a cautionary one at that -- warning about the evils of totalitarianism/socialism/communism; about how absolute power corrupts absolutely. It was interesting reading it in hindsight, post Cold War, post collapse of the Soviet Union. He wrote it in 1943 and it was published in 1945. It's a little eerie to realize how accurate his predictions were, and I can understand why it remains on high school reading lists. This and 1984 give the reader something to think about -- what happens when the rights of the individual citizens are taken away. Food for thought. ( )
  mclesh | Sep 2, 2014 |
This was actually a depressing novel. It seems a little extravagant, but I have to remind myself that the book was written just after the Second World War ended and that really puts it into perspective. For me, the book is about the way power corrupts and how power and propaganda can be used to lead citizens into actions they would not have volunteered for under normal circumstances, basically brainwashing for an intended effect. This has been seen in history over and over again. The problem really, is education. Not enough people are educated or educated well. And another problem is that many people define equality differently. It’s an interesting book. And also very very popular. In that regard, I am glad I finally got to reading it. ( )
  Kassilem | Aug 25, 2014 |
This little book, about as long as Candide, may fairly be compared with it as a searching commentary on the dominant philosophy of the age.
added by Sylak | editPunch

Animal Farm is a very politcal novel that tells a story about a farm and the way it's run but the story of the animals the way the run the farm represents the 2nd world war and the politics behind it, this technique is known as an allegory. Old Major (a wise old pig) gives the animals a lecture about how unfairly they're treated by the humans. the animals do all the work and don't get any profit, everyone works so hard and don't even get enough food to satisfy their hunger each day, they've had enough. the animals decide to stand up to their rights, and run the farm in a way that is progressive and to shut down the humans and agree that all the animals should be treated fairly. this does not last long when the pigs start to take control of things. they assume that because they're smarter they should have more rites. The start to take advantage of their intelligence by giving themselves more rites and modifying the laws that the animals agreed to live by. while this happens alot more events occur, the animals complete the windmill but then it gets knocked down during war, this reoccurs a number of times, the farm has lost animals due to war but one of the most significate loss' was the death of Boxer who sadly gets taken away then killed by humans. alot of other major events occur that all contribute to the main theme of the novel. Animal Farm was unique from any novel i've read but I did not enjoy it but using an allegory to represent an event that is a big part of history did impress me and they way George Orwell executed it was fantastic.
added by mgranotz | editschool

With an unusually piercing blare of trumpets from the Book-of-the-Month Club, whose co-selection for September it is, and with a resounding ruffle of publicity drums, an odd little book is published today.. There is nothing so startlingly brilliant about this quite elementary fable, it seems to me, to justify a tempest in anything larger than a teacup.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Orville Prescott (pay site) (Aug 26, 1946)

'Animal Farm' may be taken as the most compact and witty expression of the left-wing British reaction to Soviet Communism... [Orwell] writes absolutely without coyness or whimsicality and with such gravity and charm that 'Animal Farm' becomes an independent creation, standing quite apart from the object of its comment. The qualities of pathos in the tale of the betrayal of the animals -- in the account, for example, of Boxer, the faithful horse -- would compel the attention of persons who never heard of the Russian Revolution.''

George Orwell, a talented leftist writer, has emerged as one of Britain's best satirists. Britons, chuckling at his new book, Animal Farm, a 92-page laugh-and thought-provoking satire on Communism and the Soviet Union, are calling its author the most brilliant political satirist since Swift.
added by Shortride | editTime (Feb 4, 1946)

George Orwellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tasso, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tournaire, J.-P.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tucker, GeraldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodhouse, C. M.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mr. Jones, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the popholes.
For once Benjamin consented to break his rule, and he read out to her what was written on the wall. There was nothing there now except a single Commandment. It ran:
ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS
These people don't see that if you encourage totalitarian methods, the time may come when they will be used against you instead of for you. [from preface]
Make a habit of imprisoning Fascists without trial, and perhaps the process won't stop at Fascists. [from preface]
To exchange one orthodoxy for another is not necessarily an advance. [from preface]
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. [from preface]
Animal Farm is by George Orwell, not H.G. Wells.

Op een dag wordt boer Jansen van zijn erf verdreven en nemen de dieren de macht op de boerderij over. Wat de dageraad van een nieuwe tijd had moeten worden eindigt in een afschuwelijke nachtmerrie. De slimste dieren, de varkens, vestigen een bloedige politiestaat en de overige dieren van de boerderij treft een triester lot dan voorheen.
"The old king is dead!
"The farm overflows with good things."
"We'll let you know."

(one-horse.library)
"Wake, Boxer, with cause!"
Friends offer snake-sly wisdom.
The wheel turns, grates on.

(one-horse.library)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451526341, Mass Market Paperback)

Since its publication in 1946, George Orwell's fable of a workers' revolution gone wrong has rivaled Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea as the Shortest Serious Novel It's OK to Write a Book Report About. (The latter is three pages longer and less fun to read.) Fueled by Orwell's intense disillusionment with Soviet Communism, Animal Farm is a nearly perfect piece of writing, both an engaging story and an allegory that actually works. When the downtrodden beasts of Manor Farm oust their drunken human master and take over management of the land, all are awash in collectivist zeal. Everyone willingly works overtime, productivity soars, and for one brief, glorious season, every belly is full. The animals' Seven Commandment credo is painted in big white letters on the barn. All animals are equal. No animal shall drink alcohol, wear clothes, sleep in a bed, or kill a fellow four-footed creature. Those that go upon four legs or wings are friends and the two-legged are, by definition, the enemy. Too soon, however, the pigs, who have styled themselves leaders by virtue of their intelligence, succumb to the temptations of privilege and power. "We pigs are brainworkers. The whole management and organisation of the farm depend on us. Day and night, we are watching over your welfare. It is for your sake that we drink that milk and eat those apples." While this swinish brotherhood sells out the revolution, cynically editing the Seven Commandments to excuse their violence and greed, the common animals are once again left hungry and exhausted, no better off than in the days when humans ran the farm. Satire Animal Farm may be, but it's a stony reader who remains unmoved when the stalwart workhorse, Boxer, having given his all to his comrades, is sold to the glue factory to buy booze for the pigs. Orwell's view of Communism is bleak indeed, but given the history of the Russian people since 1917, his pessimism has an air of prophecy. --Joyce Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:02 -0400)

A satire on totalitarianism in which farm animals overthrow their human owner and set up their own government.

Legacy Library: George Orwell

George Orwell has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See George Orwell's legacy profile.

See George Orwell's author page.

3 1974

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182709, 0141036133, 014139305X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,716,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible