Animal farm: A fairy story by George Orwell

Animal farm: A fairy story (original 1945; edition 1951)

by George Orwell

George Orwell's classic satire of the Russian Revolution is an intimate part of our contemporary culture. Animal farm has been read and reread and quoted so often that we tend to forget who wrote the original words. It is an account of the bold struggle that transforms Mr. Jones' Manor Farm into Animal Farm--a wholly democratic society built on the credo that All Animals Are Created Equal. Out of their cleverness, the pigs Napoleon, Squealer and Snowball emerge as leaders of the new community in a subtle evolution that bears an insidious familiarity. The climax is the brutal betrayal of the faithful horse Boxer, when totalitarian rule is re-established with the bloodstained postscript to the founding slogan: But Some Animals Are More Equal Than Others ... Orwell's succinct, frightening words have been heard since 1946 as unsparingly descriptive of the fate of those who suffer totalitarian regimes. This audio edition of the masterpiece reminds us of Orwell's genius.… (more)
Member:GregsBookCell
Title:Animal farm: A fairy story
Authors:George Orwell
Info:Penguin Books (1951), Edition: First Penguin Edition, Paperback, 120 pages
Tags:story, allegory

Animal Farm by George Orwell (1945)

1984 by George Orwell (Phr33k, haraldo)
    Phr33k: The theory behind the two books is the same, and if you enjoyed Animal Farm, you should read Nineteen Eighty-four
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (mikeg2, sturlington)
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: Whilst this book follows one day in the life of a Soviet prisoner in a gulag as opposed to merely a worker, this is still a stunning indictment of the revolution's disregard of human life.
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (chrisharpe)
    The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (mariamreza)
    mariamreza: Another great use of allegory.
    Red Plenty: Industry! Progress! Abundance! Inside the Fifties Soviet Dream by Francis Spufford (lewbs)
    lewbs: Both books look at the shortcomings and hypocrisies of communism with some fine humor.
    The Descendants of Cain (UNESCO Collection of Representative Works: European) by Sun-Won Hwang (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Portrait of the mechanics and effect of Soviet-style communist takeover.
    Fifteen Dogs: An Apologue by André Alexis (vancouverdeb)
    vancouverdeb: Both books use animals to illustrate human shortcomings and a base nature, animals gain human consciousness,both are allegories , and dystopian novels.
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return by Marjane Satrapi (weener)
    weener: A good real-life example of what a repressive government can do.
    Snowball's Chance by John Reed (infiniteletters)
    Utopian Tales From Weimar by Jack Zipes (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Some of the stories in this anthology are earlier allegories with animals forming governments. The politics is just as sharp as Orwell's.
    The Road to Serfdom: Fiftieth Anniversary Edition by F. A. Hayek (sirparsifal)
    Mort(e) by Robert Repino (ShelfMonkey)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (SqueakyChu)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (kaledrina)
    Utopia by Thomas More (luzestrella)
    luzestrella: marvelous!! definitively worth reading
    The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin (PaperbackPirate)
    The Revolution: A Manifesto by Ron Paul (ChrisSlavens)

1940s (1)
Read (41)
2014 (3)
(1)

English (629)  Spanish (12)  Italian (6)  Dutch (5)  French (5)  Portuguese (4)  Swedish (2)  Hebrew (2)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (670)
This sounds so much like Escape from Camp 14 that I wonder if that book heavily borrowed from this, or maybe the horror written in this one has come to life, and nobody has noticed.

In our world today, it seems that a lot of people have accepted their fate of work, pain and struggle. But it's more like we were forced to surrender our apparently worthless lives to an unseen but obvious enemy. A revolution needs to happen for us to be truly free, but I also wonder if a rebellion against society would make us like the pigs in the end, indistinguishable from the wicked people who lorded over us like they were our own creators. Is there really no hope? Also, is George Orwell from the future because the accuracy in his stories is too much too chilling. ( )
  astrobleme | Dec 23, 2019 |
Really changes your viewpoint before going to the petting zoo with kids.

I like this book the exact same amount as I did before when I read it for school. The ranking has always been 4 stars, although I heard rumors that Snowball snuck in at night and stole a star to spread Fake News. Believe me, I give the best ratings. People often talk about how great my ratings are. ( )
1 vote nmorse | Dec 3, 2019 |
Mr Jones is a lazy son of a bitch, and his farm animals are quite done with him. A rebellion chases him and his no good family off the farm under the leadership of Napoleon and Snowball. They are finally free - no more tyranny, no more humans, no more abuse. Or at least, that's the idea. But as lovely as the peace and freedom is, it isn't very long lasting...

This is a real classic, and it's been on my reading list for years. I recieved it as a present from Noura a few years ago, but I've been waiting for the right time. But as we all know, there is no right time. But there's always a good time, if the book's good. And man, was it good. It's a great satire on both capitalism and communism - especially the way Karl Marx's original communist ideas are used to be a cheap cover for the real greed and corruption.

It's great, but it's also scary how relevant this book still is - you always wish satires won't be this relevant so many decades later, but alas... ( )
  autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |
This is an extremely odd and unusual story about animals on a farm revolting against and overthrowing the farmer. From the start the pigs are in charge because they are the most intelligent. As time progresses, the animals work towards their ideal self-sufficient farm. They even made their own version of a constitution, which included their main rule was that they never act like humans. However, unbeknownst to the rest of the animals, the pigs, led by Napoleon, are manipulating the other animals. They do this until the pigs are indistinguishable from humans.In my opinion, the plot of this story, although captivating, was too creepy. I was able to get through it, but I didn’t particularly enjoy it.
  sarahgoldman | Nov 8, 2019 |
Animal farm is a simple yet very complicated book with a deeper politcal meaning. I love how the book can almost be a children's book, yet at the same time can be difficult for adults to comprehend. The book shows how absolute power can corrupt- the big had many morals and many take-aways to give the reader. ( )
  Lucaj163 | Nov 7, 2019 |

Woodldridge, IanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Mr. Jones, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the popholes.
For once Benjamin consented to break his rule, and he read out to her what was written on the wall. There was nothing there now except a single Commandment. It ran:
ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS
These people don't see that if you encourage totalitarian methods, the time may come when they will be used against you instead of for you. [from preface]
Make a habit of imprisoning Fascists without trial, and perhaps the process won't stop at Fascists. [from preface]
To exchange one orthodoxy for another is not necessarily an advance. [from preface]
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. [from preface]

Orwell's allegory of the Soviet revolution remains as lucid and compelling as ever. In beautifully clear prose, he gives us a vivid gallery of characters and a fable that conveys the truth about how we are manipulated through language and the impossibility of finding heaven on earth.
"The old king is dead!
"The farm overflows with good things."
"We'll let you know."

(one-horse.library)
"Wake, Boxer, with cause!"
Friends offer snake-sly wisdom.
The wheel turns, grates on.

(one-horse.library)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182709, 0141036133, 014139305X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,656,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible