Animal Farm by George Orwell

Animal Farm (original 1945; edition 2009)

by George Orwell

35,75747117 (4)734
Member:walkernot
Title:Animal Farm
Authors:George Orwell
Info:

Animal Farm by George Orwell (1945)

1940s (1)
Unread books (1,051)
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (Phr33k, haraldo)
    Phr33k: The theory behind the two books is the same, and if you enjoyed Animal Farm, you should read Nineteen Eighty-four
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (mikeg2)
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (chrisharpe)
    The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (mariamreza)
    mariamreza: Another great use of allegory.
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: Whilst this book follows one day in the life of a Soviet prisoner in a gulag as opposed to merely a worker, this is still a stunning indictment of the revolution's disregard of human life.
    Persepolis II: The Story of a Return by Marjane Satrapi (weener)
    weener: A good real-life example of what a repressive government can do.
    Snowball's Chance by John Reed (infiniteletters)
    Red Plenty: Industry! Progress! Abundance! Inside the Fifties Soviet Dream by Francis Spufford (lewbs)
    lewbs: Both books look at the shortcomings and hypocrisies of communism with some fine humor.
    The Descendants of Cain (UNESCO Collection of Representative Works: European) by Sun-Won Hwang (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Portrait of the mechanics and effect of Soviet-style communist takeover.
    The Road to Serfdom by F. A. Hayek (sirparsifal)
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (SqueakyChu)
    Utopian Tales from Weimar by Jack Zipes (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Some of the stories in this anthology are earlier allegories with animals forming governments. The politics is just as sharp as Orwell's.
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (kaledrina)
    Utopia by Thomas More (luzestrella)
    luzestrella: marvelous!! definitively worth reading
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin (PaperbackPirate)
    The Revolution: A Manifesto by Ron Paul (ChrisSlavens)

English (440)  Spanish (9)  Portuguese (4)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (471)
George Orwell’s allegory uses all the animals besides the pigs to represent the people of Russia. The pigs of the farm represent the Soviet Union. At the beginning, the animals at Manor Farm are under Mr. Jones’s rule. After quite some time of living under his command the animals finally decide that rebelling against the drunk farmer who doesn’t care about them, isn’t so crazy after all.The animals rebel and the pigs start running what is now called, Animal Farm.The workload is fair, and the seven commandment that the pigs created are followed with great respect during the first year. When the pigs start to disobey the rules, they try to convince the rest of the the farm that everyone is equal like the seventh commandment reads. As the animals age, the workload increases, other farms are befriended and then become enemies. The pigs start to believe that not all humans are as bad as they think .They change the commandments so that they benefit the commandment benefit them, as well as hide their mistakes. In the end, when the pigs invite some farmers over, the animals watch them have a party and realize that it is hard to see the difference between the pigs and farmers.
I say this book was well written, but I didn’t find that it appealed to me. I feel that this book has a lot going on in it, but I personally didn’t like it that much. I thought it was a little boring. I think that he made a lot of good points in the book and a learned a few life lessons. He is a great author ,but I don’t think that this is a book I would highly recommend to anyone. Mr. Orwell has great ideas and painted a picture for me. ( )
  kateh.g1 | Oct 23, 2014 |
Can you not understand that liberty is worth more than just ribbons?

Man, that Orwell sure knows how to write.

This is a fantastic book, and one that I think is well worth reading to and with kids to spark discussion, which is, I understand, a way in which it is often used. The metaphors in this book are simple but elegant, in a way that is all too often lost from dystopian/utopian fiction aimed at children and teenagers (I'm looking at you Lord of the Flies and The Giver). There's no language in here that would bother a bright child but at the same time it doesn't ever feel patronising or “dumbed-down” (a phrase I've come to loathe). It just is what it is – a story that has resonant themes to which we can all relate, in some ways now more than ever.

Again, this is a story where everyone knows the plot, so I won't really touch on that. This story is clever, and witty, and apt, and surely needs no recommendation from the likes of me to encourage people to read it. It is stimulating, even as an adult, and is the perfect gateway drug into the likes of 1984, Catch 22, Fahrenheit 451, and many other highly esteemed novels of a more adult bent.

PS. I came across this in, of all things, an abridged version (which, I might add, is very nearly as long as the thing itself but with all the nice turns of phrase removed). So don't read that. The original is not terribly difficult, after all!
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
I don't know if it's because I knew it was coming or I've grown more jaded, but Boxer's death didn't make me cry this time. Orwell's skeptical socialism only appeals to me more as the years go by. ( )
  Brendan.H | Oct 6, 2014 |
A fantastic allegory on communism, and interesting as well. It's not easy to do that in a political fantasy.

Written at a time when Socialism was thought to be vastly different from communism, it illustrates the folly of such collectivist notions. I think if Orwell were paying attention or maybe lived a little longer he would have seen the same problems with socialism, of which he was a big fan.

Writing: Well done
Message: Instructive
Worth a read?: Fo sho
A little philosophically blind: perhaps. ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
It took me by surprise how much I loved this classic and how eerily relevant and applicable it is considering today's politics, Britain's in particular. The Arab Spring is also a good example of a modern day Animal Farm.

I highlighted this one to death. In pencil, of course. I'm not a barbarian. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
This little book, about as long as Candide, may fairly be compared with it as a searching commentary on the dominant philosophy of the age.
added by Sylak | editPunch

Animal Farm is a very politcal novel that tells a story about a farm and the way it's run but the story of the animals the way the run the farm represents the 2nd world war and the politics behind it, this technique is known as an allegory. Old Major (a wise old pig) gives the animals a lecture about how unfairly they're treated by the humans. the animals do all the work and don't get any profit, everyone works so hard and don't even get enough food to satisfy their hunger each day, they've had enough. the animals decide to stand up to their rights, and run the farm in a way that is progressive and to shut down the humans and agree that all the animals should be treated fairly. this does not last long when the pigs start to take control of things. they assume that because they're smarter they should have more rites. The start to take advantage of their intelligence by giving themselves more rites and modifying the laws that the animals agreed to live by. while this happens alot more events occur, the animals complete the windmill but then it gets knocked down during war, this reoccurs a number of times, the farm has lost animals due to war but one of the most significate loss' was the death of Boxer who sadly gets taken away then killed by humans. alot of other major events occur that all contribute to the main theme of the novel. Animal Farm was unique from any novel i've read but I did not enjoy it but using an allegory to represent an event that is a big part of history did impress me and they way George Orwell executed it was fantastic.
added by mgranotz | editschool

With an unusually piercing blare of trumpets from the Book-of-the-Month Club, whose co-selection for September it is, and with a resounding ruffle of publicity drums, an odd little book is published today.. There is nothing so startlingly brilliant about this quite elementary fable, it seems to me, to justify a tempest in anything larger than a teacup.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Orville Prescott (pay site) (Aug 26, 1946)

'Animal Farm' may be taken as the most compact and witty expression of the left-wing British reaction to Soviet Communism... [Orwell] writes absolutely without coyness or whimsicality and with such gravity and charm that 'Animal Farm' becomes an independent creation, standing quite apart from the object of its comment. The qualities of pathos in the tale of the betrayal of the animals -- in the account, for example, of Boxer, the faithful horse -- would compel the attention of persons who never heard of the Russian Revolution.''

George Orwell, a talented leftist writer, has emerged as one of Britain's best satirists. Britons, chuckling at his new book, Animal Farm, a 92-page laugh-and thought-provoking satire on Communism and the Soviet Union, are calling its author the most brilliant political satirist since Swift.
added by Shortride | editTime (Feb 4, 1946)

George Orwellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tasso, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tournaire, J.-P.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tucker, GeraldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodhouse, C. M.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mr. Jones, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the popholes.
For once Benjamin consented to break his rule, and he read out to her what was written on the wall. There was nothing there now except a single Commandment. It ran:
ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS
These people don't see that if you encourage totalitarian methods, the time may come when they will be used against you instead of for you. [from preface]
Make a habit of imprisoning Fascists without trial, and perhaps the process won't stop at Fascists. [from preface]
To exchange one orthodoxy for another is not necessarily an advance. [from preface]
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. [from preface]
Animal Farm is by George Orwell, not H.G. Wells.

Op een dag wordt boer Jansen van zijn erf verdreven en nemen de dieren de macht op de boerderij over. Wat de dageraad van een nieuwe tijd had moeten worden eindigt in een afschuwelijke nachtmerrie. De slimste dieren, de varkens, vestigen een bloedige politiestaat en de overige dieren van de boerderij treft een triester lot dan voorheen.
"The old king is dead!
"The farm overflows with good things."
"We'll let you know."

(one-horse.library)
"Wake, Boxer, with cause!"
Friends offer snake-sly wisdom.
The wheel turns, grates on.

(one-horse.library)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451526341, Mass Market Paperback)

Since its publication in 1946, George Orwell's fable of a workers' revolution gone wrong has rivaled Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea as the Shortest Serious Novel It's OK to Write a Book Report About. (The latter is three pages longer and less fun to read.) Fueled by Orwell's intense disillusionment with Soviet Communism, Animal Farm is a nearly perfect piece of writing, both an engaging story and an allegory that actually works. When the downtrodden beasts of Manor Farm oust their drunken human master and take over management of the land, all are awash in collectivist zeal. Everyone willingly works overtime, productivity soars, and for one brief, glorious season, every belly is full. The animals' Seven Commandment credo is painted in big white letters on the barn. All animals are equal. No animal shall drink alcohol, wear clothes, sleep in a bed, or kill a fellow four-footed creature. Those that go upon four legs or wings are friends and the two-legged are, by definition, the enemy. Too soon, however, the pigs, who have styled themselves leaders by virtue of their intelligence, succumb to the temptations of privilege and power. "We pigs are brainworkers. The whole management and organisation of the farm depend on us. Day and night, we are watching over your welfare. It is for your sake that we drink that milk and eat those apples." While this swinish brotherhood sells out the revolution, cynically editing the Seven Commandments to excuse their violence and greed, the common animals are once again left hungry and exhausted, no better off than in the days when humans ran the farm. Satire Animal Farm may be, but it's a stony reader who remains unmoved when the stalwart workhorse, Boxer, having given his all to his comrades, is sold to the glue factory to buy booze for the pigs. Orwell's view of Communism is bleak indeed, but given the history of the Russian people since 1917, his pessimism has an air of prophecy. --Joyce Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:02 -0400)

A satire on totalitarianism in which farm animals overthrow their human owner and set up their own government.

Legacy Library: George Orwell

George Orwell has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See George Orwell's legacy profile.

See George Orwell's author page.

3 1994

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182709, 0141036133, 014139305X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,422,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible