Animal Farm by George Orwell

Animal Farm (original 1945; edition 2008)

by George Orwell

Member:Deejaymil
Title:Animal Farm
Authors:George Orwell
Info:Penguin Books (2008), Paperback, 112 pages
Tags:Dystopia, Animals, Classics, Depressing as Reichenbach

Animal Farm by George Orwell (1945)

1984 by George Orwell (Phr33k, haraldo)
    Phr33k: The theory behind the two books is the same, and if you enjoyed Animal Farm, you should read Nineteen Eighty-four
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (mikeg2)
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: Whilst this book follows one day in the life of a Soviet prisoner in a gulag as opposed to merely a worker, this is still a stunning indictment of the revolution's disregard of human life.
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (chrisharpe)
    The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (mariamreza)
    mariamreza: Another great use of allegory.
    Snowball's Chance by John Reed (infiniteletters)
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Fifteen Dogs by André Alexis (vancouverdeb)
    vancouverdeb: Both books use animals to illustrate human shortcomings and a base nature, animals gain human consciousness,both are allegories , and dystopian novels.
    The Descendants of Cain (UNESCO Collection of Representative Works: European) by Sun-Won Hwang (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Portrait of the mechanics and effect of Soviet-style communist takeover.
    Red Plenty: Industry! Progress! Abundance! Inside the Fifties Soviet Dream by Francis Spufford (lewbs)
    lewbs: Both books look at the shortcomings and hypocrisies of communism with some fine humor.
    Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return by Marjane Satrapi (weener)
    weener: A good real-life example of what a repressive government can do.
    Utopian Tales From Weimar by Jack Zipes (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Some of the stories in this anthology are earlier allegories with animals forming governments. The politics is just as sharp as Orwell's.
    Mort(e) by Robert Repino (ShelfMonkey)
    The Accusation: Forbidden Stories from Inside North Korea by Bandi (Anonymous user)
    4 by Pelevin by Viktor Pelevin (Guanhumara)
    Guanhumara: Animals used to satirize human political behavior.
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (kaledrina)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (SqueakyChu)
    The Road to Serfdom by F. A. Hayek (sirparsifal)
    Utopia by Thomas More (luzestrella)
    luzestrella: marvelous!! definitively worth reading
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)

1940s (1)
Satire (1)
Read (41)
2014 (3)
(1)
Unread books (1,049)

English (560)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (5)  Portuguese (4)  Italian (4)  French (4)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  All (1)  All (596)
I have read Orwell's '1984', and 'Animal Farm' is not as great a read. The latter is almost a masterpiece, though, and it is largely due to the exemplary writing. The narration, true to Orwell's style, is remarkably paced, but that doesn't make it boring at any point. Like in case of 1984, I did not really want to put my Kindle away, and I completed in only one more sitting (Total no. of sittings: 2). In Animal Farm, Orwell does not depend upon specific anecdotes/flashbacks for character introduction/development. Instead, he completely fuses it with the main story arc, and that is what, I think, make his works such a treat to read. ( )
  lumographer | Jul 25, 2017 |
Mycket bra. ( )
  andreasclaeson | Jul 24, 2017 |
I haven't read it since high school, but I still like it. It is one of the few books that I can easily see what the subject of the satire is. In the end I feel badly for the animals. The pigs Napoleon takes old Major's wonderful idea and twists it and makes life worse for them than when the humans were running the place. It's a great story that holds up a mirror and makes us look at what is reflected. ( )
  pirogoeth | Jul 11, 2017 |
I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
This is my third time trying to read this book, and I can proudly say that I have finally finished it, but I nearly lost interest halfway through. Sure, I appreciate the story, but the writing style is not for me, and I simply never cared about what was going to happen. I read it to see what all the fuss was about, and to be honest I'm quite disappointed. Oops. Just not my cup of tea. ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |

Woodldridge, IanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Mr. Jones, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the popholes.
For once Benjamin consented to break his rule, and he read out to her what was written on the wall. There was nothing there now except a single Commandment. It ran:
ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS
These people don't see that if you encourage totalitarian methods, the time may come when they will be used against you instead of for you. [from preface]
Make a habit of imprisoning Fascists without trial, and perhaps the process won't stop at Fascists. [from preface]
To exchange one orthodoxy for another is not necessarily an advance. [from preface]
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. [from preface]
Op een dag wordt boer Jansen van zijn erf verdreven en nemen de dieren de macht op de boerderij over. Wat de dageraad van een nieuwe tijd had moeten worden eindigt in een afschuwelijke nachtmerrie. De slimste dieren, de varkens, vestigen een bloedige politiestaat en de overige dieren van de boerderij treft een triester lot dan voorheen.
Gli animali di una fattoria, stanchi dei continui soprusi degli esseri umani, decidono di ribellarsi e, dopo avere cacciato il proprietario, tentano di creare un nuovo ordine fondato su un concetto utopistico di uguaglianza. Ben presto, tuttavia, emerge tra loro una nuova classe di burocrati, i maiali, che con l'astuzia, la cupidigia e l'egoismo che li contraddistinguono si impongono in modo prepotente e tirannico sugli altri animali più docili e semplici d'animo. L'acuta satira orwelliana verso il totalitarismo è unita in questo apologo a una felicità inventiva e a un'energia stilistica che pongono "La fattoria degli animali" tra le opere più celebri della narrativa del Novecento.
(piopas)
"The old king is dead!
"The farm overflows with good things."
"We'll let you know."

(one-horse.library)
"Wake, Boxer, with cause!"
Friends offer snake-sly wisdom.
The wheel turns, grates on.

(one-horse.library)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451526341, Mass Market Paperback)

Since its publication in 1946, George Orwell's fable of a workers' revolution gone wrong has rivaled Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea as the Shortest Serious Novel It's OK to Write a Book Report About. (The latter is three pages longer and less fun to read.) Fueled by Orwell's intense disillusionment with Soviet Communism, Animal Farm is a nearly perfect piece of writing, both an engaging story and an allegory that actually works. When the downtrodden beasts of Manor Farm oust their drunken human master and take over management of the land, all are awash in collectivist zeal. Everyone willingly works overtime, productivity soars, and for one brief, glorious season, every belly is full. The animals' Seven Commandment credo is painted in big white letters on the barn. All animals are equal. No animal shall drink alcohol, wear clothes, sleep in a bed, or kill a fellow four-footed creature. Those that go upon four legs or wings are friends and the two-legged are, by definition, the enemy. Too soon, however, the pigs, who have styled themselves leaders by virtue of their intelligence, succumb to the temptations of privilege and power. "We pigs are brainworkers. The whole management and organisation of the farm depend on us. Day and night, we are watching over your welfare. It is for your sake that we drink that milk and eat those apples." While this swinish brotherhood sells out the revolution, cynically editing the Seven Commandments to excuse their violence and greed, the common animals are once again left hungry and exhausted, no better off than in the days when humans ran the farm. Satire Animal Farm may be, but it's a stony reader who remains unmoved when the stalwart workhorse, Boxer, having given his all to his comrades, is sold to the glue factory to buy booze for the pigs. Orwell's view of Communism is bleak indeed, but given the history of the Russian people since 1917, his pessimism has an air of prophecy. --Joyce Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:41 -0400)

A satire on totalitarianism in which farm animals overthrow their human owner and set up their own government.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182709, 0141036133, 014139305X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,192,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible