Animal farm : a fairy story by George Orwell

Animal farm : a fairy story (original 1945; edition 2008)

by George Orwell, Peter Davison

Member:fosku
Title:Animal farm : a fairy story
Authors:George Orwell
Other authors:Peter Davison
Info:London : Penguin Books, 2008.
Rating:****1/2
Tags:dystopia, satire, politics, animals, allegory

Animal Farm by George Orwell (1945)

1001 (118) 20th century (355) allegory (701) animals (411) British (262) British literature (270) classic (1,154) classics (843) communism (680) dystopia (789) dystopian (135) English (156) English literature (269) fable (125) fantasy (273) fiction (3,687) George Orwell (162) literature (706) novel (558) Orwell (199) own (143) political (208) politics (845) read (591) satire (1,013) science fiction (255) social commentary (141) socialism (170) to-read (214) totalitarianism (304)
1940s (1)
Unread books (1,039)
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (Phr33k, haraldo)
    Phr33k: The theory behind the two books is the same, and if you enjoyed Animal Farm, you should read Nineteen Eighty-four
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (mikeg2)
    The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (mariamreza)
    mariamreza: Another great use of allegory.
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: Whilst this book follows one day in the life of a Soviet prisoner in a gulag as opposed to merely a worker, this is still a stunning indictment of the revolution's disregard of human life.
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (chrisharpe)
    Persepolis II: The Story of a Return by Marjane Satrapi (weener)
    weener: A good real-life example of what a repressive government can do.
    Snowball's Chance by John Reed (infiniteletters)
    Red Plenty: Industry! Progress! Abundance! Inside the Fifties Soviet Dream by Francis Spufford (lewbs)
    lewbs: Both books look at the shortcomings and hypocrisies of communism with some fine humor.
    The Descendants of Cain (UNESCO Collection of Representative Works: European) by Sun-Won Hwang (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Portrait of the mechanics and effect of Soviet-style communist takeover.
    The Road to Serfdom by F. A. Hayek (sirparsifal)
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (SqueakyChu)
    Utopian Tales from Weimar by Jack Zipes (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Some of the stories in this anthology are earlier allegories with animals forming governments. The politics is just as sharp as Orwell's.
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (kaledrina)
    Utopia by Thomas More (luzestrella)
    luzestrella: marvelous!! definitively worth reading
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin (PaperbackPirate)
    The Revolution: A Manifesto by Ron Paul (ChrisSlavens)

English (427)  Spanish (9)  Italian (4)  Portuguese (4)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (457)
Oh, I'd read this as a teenager, and remembered it as 'good story about anthropomorphic animals' and 'heavy handed analogy about communism'. But I'd entirely forgotten how unremittingly bleak and miserable it is. Everyone starts with such high hopes, and by the end all that we loved and supported has been crushed. A valuable book about greed in power, which is heartbreaking (and leaves one twitching that actually one is one of the pigs...) ( )
  atreic | Jul 21, 2014 |
Tags: Fantasy, Leaders, Animals

Summary: Wow, talk about a flash back into time for me! I was about 12 or 13 years old when i first cracked this book open to read it and write a few different reports off of the reading I had done on it. All begins with a speech given by none other than a 'piggy' named Old Major. Book has a lot to do with leadership, communism, race, and mot of all slavery.

Personal Reactions: The last 'real' good book I believe I read the rest of my middle school years. I was a strange person growing up, I liked reading about history, world powers, issues, life and most importantly government. I took this book to heart as today we still find ourselves dealing with these same issues, but masked under different terms, sayings, groups, etc.

Extension Ideas: For a select group of students who want to understand what it was like back then, what people went through in order to make it day inane day out and try for a better outcome. ( )
  armyflyingguy | Jul 18, 2014 |
Quotable quotes:
- “The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”
- “Man is the only creature that consumes without producing. He does not give milk, he does not lay eggs, he is too weak to pull the plough, he cannot run fast enough to catch rabbits. Yet he is lord of all the animals. He sets them to work, he gives back to them the bare minimum that will prevent them from starving, and the rest he keeps for himself.”
- “Several of them would have protested if they could have found the right arguments.”
- “Let's face it: our lives are miserable, laborious, and short.”
- “Man serves the interests of no creature except himself.”

It's been roughly half my lifetime, 14 years, since I last read this book, and it still carries a lot of weight. The reason I re-read this book was because I've always heard that the meaning of a book is unique to the person reading it and at what point in their life when they are/were reading it. When I first read it, I was pretty amazed at the concept of both allegory and microcosm. This book so clearly illustrates the two concepts, that I believe I may have looked past the utter brutality of Napoleon and his actions. When I read the novel at 27 I was more so taken back by everything Napoleon had accomplished in his time as "leader" of Animal/Manor Farm.

Anyways, thanks for reading. ( )
  michplunkett | Jul 14, 2014 |
Still relevant today, even with the fall of the Soviet Union. Maybe it applies to democracies in general. Some pigs are more equal than other pigs. A great read that every adult should revisit. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
Animal Farm is certainly a classic, and you have to read it to understand why.
The basic plot is that the animals on Manor Farm, as a result of a speech given by a pig named Old Major, rebel against the farm's owner, Mr. Jones, and drive out all the humans. The animals gain control of the farm and rename it to Animal Farm. Looks like good times ahead for the animals, finally free from their slavery. But as time passes, the pigs, led by Napoleon, gain more and more power, and the situation of the other animals goes from bad to worse.
It's quite a straightforward book, and while I knew beforehand about it being an allegory of communism gone bad, with a powerful few living in luxury at the cost of the masses. What I wasn't prepared for was how emotional I would get at the suffering of the animals. The character of the horse, Boxer, is especially tragic. He had a motto - "I will work hearder", which was his solution to all problems. All his youth he worked as hard as he could, for the good of the farm, never once thinking about his hardships. And his reward? Sold to be slaughtered when he becomes injured and old.
Over time, the pigs adopt all the habits of humans that they first denounced - drinking alcohol, sleeping in beds, and even wearing clothes.
The book ends with the animals no longer able to distinguish between the pigs and the humans.

Animal farm raises a lot of issues related to communism, but that is not what makes it what it is. The reason I found it deeply moving, and recommend it to everyone, is how with its simply language and story, it still managed to connect at an emotional level. Yes, I wish it ended with a more positive outlook, but then the ability to make one feel so strongly for it's animal, is what makes Animal Farm so amazing. ( )
  hoodakaushal | Jun 25, 2014 |
This little book, about as long as Candide, may fairly be compared with it as a searching commentary on the dominant philosophy of the age.
added by Sylak | editPunch

Animal Farm is a very politcal novel that tells a story about a farm and the way it's run but the story of the animals the way the run the farm represents the 2nd world war and the politics behind it, this technique is known as an allegory. Old Major (a wise old pig) gives the animals a lecture about how unfairly they're treated by the humans. the animals do all the work and don't get any profit, everyone works so hard and don't even get enough food to satisfy their hunger each day, they've had enough. the animals decide to stand up to their rights, and run the farm in a way that is progressive and to shut down the humans and agree that all the animals should be treated fairly. this does not last long when the pigs start to take control of things. they assume that because they're smarter they should have more rites. The start to take advantage of their intelligence by giving themselves more rites and modifying the laws that the animals agreed to live by. while this happens alot more events occur, the animals complete the windmill but then it gets knocked down during war, this reoccurs a number of times, the farm has lost animals due to war but one of the most significate loss' was the death of Boxer who sadly gets taken away then killed by humans. alot of other major events occur that all contribute to the main theme of the novel. Animal Farm was unique from any novel i've read but I did not enjoy it but using an allegory to represent an event that is a big part of history did impress me and they way George Orwell executed it was fantastic.
added by mgranotz | editschool

With an unusually piercing blare of trumpets from the Book-of-the-Month Club, whose co-selection for September it is, and with a resounding ruffle of publicity drums, an odd little book is published today.. There is nothing so startlingly brilliant about this quite elementary fable, it seems to me, to justify a tempest in anything larger than a teacup.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times, Orville Prescott (pay site) (Aug 26, 1946)

'Animal Farm' may be taken as the most compact and witty expression of the left-wing British reaction to Soviet Communism... [Orwell] writes absolutely without coyness or whimsicality and with such gravity and charm that 'Animal Farm' becomes an independent creation, standing quite apart from the object of its comment. The qualities of pathos in the tale of the betrayal of the animals -- in the account, for example, of Boxer, the faithful horse -- would compel the attention of persons who never heard of the Russian Revolution.''

George Orwell, a talented leftist writer, has emerged as one of Britain's best satirists. Britons, chuckling at his new book, Animal Farm, a 92-page laugh-and thought-provoking satire on Communism and the Soviet Union, are calling its author the most brilliant political satirist since Swift.
added by Shortride | editTime (Feb 4, 1946)

George Orwellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tasso, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tournaire, J.-P.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tucker, GeraldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodhouse, C. M.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mr. Jones, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the popholes.
For once Benjamin consented to break his rule, and he read out to her what was written on the wall. There was nothing there now except a single Commandment. It ran:
ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS
These people don't see that if you encourage totalitarian methods, the time may come when they will be used against you instead of for you. [from preface]
Make a habit of imprisoning Fascists without trial, and perhaps the process won't stop at Fascists. [from preface]
To exchange one orthodoxy for another is not necessarily an advance. [from preface]
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. [from preface]
Animal Farm is by George Orwell, not H.G. Wells.

Op een dag wordt boer Jansen van zijn erf verdreven en nemen de dieren de macht op de boerderij over. Wat de dageraad van een nieuwe tijd had moeten worden eindigt in een afschuwelijke nachtmerrie. De slimste dieren, de varkens, vestigen een bloedige politiestaat en de overige dieren van de boerderij treft een triester lot dan voorheen.
"The old king is dead!
"The farm overflows with good things."
"We'll let you know."

(one-horse.library)
"Wake, Boxer, with cause!"
Friends offer snake-sly wisdom.
The wheel turns, grates on.

(one-horse.library)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451526341, Mass Market Paperback)

Since its publication in 1946, George Orwell's fable of a workers' revolution gone wrong has rivaled Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea as the Shortest Serious Novel It's OK to Write a Book Report About. (The latter is three pages longer and less fun to read.) Fueled by Orwell's intense disillusionment with Soviet Communism, Animal Farm is a nearly perfect piece of writing, both an engaging story and an allegory that actually works. When the downtrodden beasts of Manor Farm oust their drunken human master and take over management of the land, all are awash in collectivist zeal. Everyone willingly works overtime, productivity soars, and for one brief, glorious season, every belly is full. The animals' Seven Commandment credo is painted in big white letters on the barn. All animals are equal. No animal shall drink alcohol, wear clothes, sleep in a bed, or kill a fellow four-footed creature. Those that go upon four legs or wings are friends and the two-legged are, by definition, the enemy. Too soon, however, the pigs, who have styled themselves leaders by virtue of their intelligence, succumb to the temptations of privilege and power. "We pigs are brainworkers. The whole management and organisation of the farm depend on us. Day and night, we are watching over your welfare. It is for your sake that we drink that milk and eat those apples." While this swinish brotherhood sells out the revolution, cynically editing the Seven Commandments to excuse their violence and greed, the common animals are once again left hungry and exhausted, no better off than in the days when humans ran the farm. Satire Animal Farm may be, but it's a stony reader who remains unmoved when the stalwart workhorse, Boxer, having given his all to his comrades, is sold to the glue factory to buy booze for the pigs. Orwell's view of Communism is bleak indeed, but given the history of the Russian people since 1917, his pessimism has an air of prophecy. --Joyce Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:02 -0400)

A satire on totalitarianism in which farm animals overthrow their human owner and set up their own government.

Legacy Library: George Orwell

George Orwell has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See George Orwell's legacy profile.

See George Orwell's author page.

3 1936

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182709, 0141036133, 014139305X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,494,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible