Animal Farm (Penguin Modern Classics) by…

Animal Farm (Penguin Modern Classics) (original 1945; edition 2007)

by George Orwell, Malcolm Bradbury (Introduction)

Member:Aloys
Title:Animal Farm (Penguin Modern Classics)
Authors:George Orwell
Other authors:Malcolm Bradbury (Introduction)
Info:Penguin Books, Limited (UK) (2007), Paperback, 120 pages

Animal Farm by George Orwell (1945)

1984 by George Orwell (Phr33k, haraldo)
    Phr33k: The theory behind the two books is the same, and if you enjoyed Animal Farm, you should read Nineteen Eighty-four
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (mikeg2)
    One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: Whilst this book follows one day in the life of a Soviet prisoner in a gulag as opposed to merely a worker, this is still a stunning indictment of the revolution's disregard of human life.
    The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka (mariamreza)
    mariamreza: Another great use of allegory.
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (chrisharpe)
    Watership Down by Richard Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Snowball's Chance by John Reed (infiniteletters)
    The Accusation: Forbidden Stories from Inside North Korea by Bandi (Anonymous user)
    Fifteen Dogs by André Alexis (vancouverdeb)
    vancouverdeb: Both books use animals to illustrate human shortcomings and a base nature, animals gain human consciousness,both are allegories , and dystopian novels.
    Red Plenty: Industry! Progress! Abundance! Inside the Fifties Soviet Dream by Francis Spufford (lewbs)
    lewbs: Both books look at the shortcomings and hypocrisies of communism with some fine humor.
    Mort(e) by Robert Repino (ShelfMonkey)
    The Descendants of Cain (UNESCO Collection of Representative Works: European) by Sun-Won Hwang (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Portrait of the mechanics and effect of Soviet-style communist takeover.
    Utopian Tales From Weimar by Jack Zipes (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Some of the stories in this anthology are earlier allegories with animals forming governments. The politics is just as sharp as Orwell's.
    Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return by Marjane Satrapi (weener)
    weener: A good real-life example of what a repressive government can do.
    Feed by M. T. Anderson (SqueakyChu)
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (kaledrina)
    The Road to Serfdom by F. A. Hayek (sirparsifal)
    Utopia by Thomas More (luzestrella)
    luzestrella: marvelous!! definitively worth reading
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin (PaperbackPirate)

1940s (1)
Satire (1)
Read (41)
2014 (3)
(1)
Unread books (1,028)

English (598)  Spanish (12)  Italian (6)  Dutch (6)  Portuguese (4)  French (4)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hebrew (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (638)
I've heard that this book is about the negative aspects of socialism, but really I think it's more about how easy it is to dominate a country that is either not educated or "selectively" educated, meaning their information is filtered. To me it doesn't really illustrate how socialism is wrong. This book didn't move me on a personal level, so I probably would've given it a 3 star, but I gave it an extra star because it reminds me of North Korea and it was written before North Korea got to be the way it is now. ( )
  rnmdfrd | Sep 19, 2018 |
Science Fiction, Classic, British Literature, Communism, Dystopia, Fable Fantasy, Political, Satire, Socialism, Totalitarianism
  jperry13 | Sep 4, 2018 |
The history of the soviet union is loosely translated into a childish code.

1/4 (Bad).

I stopped after half the book. I just can't think of anything I could possibly get out of finishing it. ( )
  comfypants | Aug 30, 2018 |
So I really never understood how good of a book this was when I read it in High School. The depth of George Orwell and the thought that went into this book is seriously amazing. The characters and the parallels that Orwell creates is amazing. I love that he took regular farm animals and was able to describe humans/government so well. I mean how well does Napoleon really represent Stalin. I daresay this is one of the best novels written, not only with how well it is written but also how well it depicts people in history and times in history ( )
  nicolemeier111 | Aug 29, 2018 |
I'm not actually going to write a review, as such. What could I say about this peerless book that hasn't been said before? As a satirical allegory and analysis of human power structures it is the most perfect book I've read. I first did so when I was thirteen or so and didn't really understand the historical/political context but I was still gripped by the power of the storytelling, reading it in a single sitting, and have revisited it numerous times since. You couldn't change a single word to improve it.

So why bother to add words to the 40,000 Goodreads reviews? Because I noticed that it's Goodreads rating is under four-stars. 3.89. What? How is that even possible? A quick comparison - 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' (4.62), 'A Storm of Swords' (4.54), 'The Hunger Games' (4.33), 'American Gods' and 'Kafka on the Shore' (4.14)... I despair for the future of the book... ( )
  PZR | Jul 28, 2018 |

Woodldridge, IanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Mr. Jones, of the Manor Farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the popholes.
For once Benjamin consented to break his rule, and he read out to her what was written on the wall. There was nothing there now except a single Commandment. It ran:
ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS
These people don't see that if you encourage totalitarian methods, the time may come when they will be used against you instead of for you. [from preface]
Make a habit of imprisoning Fascists without trial, and perhaps the process won't stop at Fascists. [from preface]
To exchange one orthodoxy for another is not necessarily an advance. [from preface]
If liberty means anything at all it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. [from preface]
Op een dag wordt boer Jansen van zijn erf verdreven en nemen de dieren de macht op de boerderij over. Wat de dageraad van een nieuwe tijd had moeten worden eindigt in een afschuwelijke nachtmerrie. De slimste dieren, de varkens, vestigen een bloedige politiestaat en de overige dieren van de boerderij treft een triester lot dan voorheen.
Gli animali di una fattoria, stanchi dei continui soprusi degli esseri umani, decidono di ribellarsi e, dopo avere cacciato il proprietario, tentano di creare un nuovo ordine fondato su un concetto utopistico di uguaglianza. Ben presto, tuttavia, emerge tra loro una nuova classe di burocrati, i maiali, che con l'astuzia, la cupidigia e l'egoismo che li contraddistinguono si impongono in modo prepotente e tirannico sugli altri animali più docili e semplici d'animo. L'acuta satira orwelliana verso il totalitarismo è unita in questo apologo a una felicità inventiva e a un'energia stilistica che pongono "La fattoria degli animali" tra le opere più celebri della narrativa del Novecento.
(piopas)
Can your experts write my college essay?
Our college essay writing studio has been assisting the students in performing assignments of any complexity.
"The old king is dead!
"The farm overflows with good things."
"We'll let you know."

(one-horse.library)
"Wake, Boxer, with cause!"
Friends offer snake-sly wisdom.
The wheel turns, grates on.

(one-horse.library)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451526341, Mass Market Paperback)

Since its publication in 1946, George Orwell's fable of a workers' revolution gone wrong has rivaled Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea as the Shortest Serious Novel It's OK to Write a Book Report About. (The latter is three pages longer and less fun to read.) Fueled by Orwell's intense disillusionment with Soviet Communism, Animal Farm is a nearly perfect piece of writing, both an engaging story and an allegory that actually works. When the downtrodden beasts of Manor Farm oust their drunken human master and take over management of the land, all are awash in collectivist zeal. Everyone willingly works overtime, productivity soars, and for one brief, glorious season, every belly is full. The animals' Seven Commandment credo is painted in big white letters on the barn. All animals are equal. No animal shall drink alcohol, wear clothes, sleep in a bed, or kill a fellow four-footed creature. Those that go upon four legs or wings are friends and the two-legged are, by definition, the enemy. Too soon, however, the pigs, who have styled themselves leaders by virtue of their intelligence, succumb to the temptations of privilege and power. "We pigs are brainworkers. The whole management and organisation of the farm depend on us. Day and night, we are watching over your welfare. It is for your sake that we drink that milk and eat those apples." While this swinish brotherhood sells out the revolution, cynically editing the Seven Commandments to excuse their violence and greed, the common animals are once again left hungry and exhausted, no better off than in the days when humans ran the farm. Satire Animal Farm may be, but it's a stony reader who remains unmoved when the stalwart workhorse, Boxer, having given his all to his comrades, is sold to the glue factory to buy booze for the pigs. Orwell's view of Communism is bleak indeed, but given the history of the Russian people since 1917, his pessimism has an air of prophecy. --Joyce Thompson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:41 -0400)

A satire on totalitarianism in which farm animals overthrow their human owner and set up their own government.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182709, 0141036133, 014139305X

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,984,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible