They Loved to Laugh by Kathryn Worth

They Loved to Laugh (1942)

by Kathryn Worth

Eight Cousins; Or, The Aunt-Hill by Louisa May Alcott (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: similar situation of an orphan girl being raised in a family of boys

I remembered this book so well from reading it years ago. I remember my worry about the two boys that loved her and how could that turn out well? I loved Martitia's hard work to become worthy of being a Gardner daughter. It reminded me some of Understood Betsy. I was also glad that the talents she learned from her mother were useful in the end. Talents Ruth had looked down on. It was good that the two girls were able to finally become friends. Shannon Gordon remembered this one from her childhood. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
They Loved to Laugh - 9781883937164
I originally read this book a long time ago. I lost track of it and, although I looked for years to find it, had no success. What a joy to discover it back in print again. Rereading may prove a letdown, but, when I recall how many time I took it off the library shelves, I doubt it. A coming of age book, this tells the story of an orphaned girl (sound familiar, Anne readers?) who goes to live with a family which already has five sons and one disapproving daughter. The heroine struggles to overcome her sorrow and her difficulty in fitting in with this large family.
  JaySroka | Oct 8, 2013 |
Sweet book about Quaker family. ( )
  PleasantHome | Jul 19, 2013 |
"Over the next hill is the house, Martitia.

Sixteen-year-old orphan Martitia Howland has been transplanted into a Quaker farm family of five intimidating sons and one disapproving daughter. As Martitia runs their gauntlet, she suffers their teasing but finally begins to bloom. Valiantly she acquires the skills they expect of her, and discovers other gifts all her own. Her achievements earn respect in the end and more, her heart's true love.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,988,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible