Neighbor Law: Fences, Tress, Boundaries &…

Neighbor Law: Fences, Tress, Boundaries & Noise

by Cora Jordan

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A useful reference that could have been crucial for me had I owned it a few years back, when disagreements among a three-unit condominium were driving me half crazy. Now I like my neighbors and they like me, so this sits quietly on the shelf...
  kimsbooks | Feb 18, 2012 |
For adults who are just starting home ownership, or about to move into their first neighborhood, this is a good book to introduce you to the legal aspects of being a neighbor. While some of the book looks at dealing with issues, it also talks about resolution and responsibility. ( )
  chsbellboy | Jan 23, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Very good book for non-local-specific info about what is legal / illegal, and what you might be able to do about it. Definitely recommend investigating local laws before taking any action. Lots of 'glad that's not me!' reactions. Well-organized.
  masterdeski | Sep 18, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Very good book! I'm fortunate that I really haven't had any of the issues described in the book to any great degree, but I did always wonder about some things - like, what happens when the truck of the tree expands onto my property, do I have a right to that view I paid so much money for, and what about a noisy neighbor?

There are chapters on each of these issue and more, like injured/damaged trees, encroachment of roots, who owns the fruit/nuts, fences and trespassing/access issues.

This useful book is set up with an introduction describing the common steps you should take to address most of these problems, and then each specific chapter talks about various state and local laws, and any interesting precedents. It includes many sample letters and some very helpful appendices describing state laws for various issues.

A very useful book! ( )
  LisaMorr | Jun 21, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My neighborhood is diverse in many, many ways. One is in how people respond to problems or possible problems. Some can watch a person being beaten and not call 911, but call the police because five 10-year- olds are riding bikes on an empty street. A neighbor will call code enforcement to report that a neighbor left her garbage bin out overnight while he himself leaves his on the curb 24/7. My advice is, talk with the neighbor first – by phone or in person – in a civil, friendly tone. Don’t jump to calling city departments right away. And better than anything, I hope you’ve tried to build a friendly relationship long ago before you ever got to know each other’s personalities.

People and situations not being perfect, NEIGHBOR LAW: Fences, Trees, Boundaries & Noise, by Attorneys Cora Jordan and Emily Doskow, offers real solutions to common problems. The substance of the book doesn’t become stifled or diluted because of varying state or city laws. Doskow and Jordan offer common sense, step by step advice in logical sequence with practical, easily applied examples of letters and conversations. The appendixes and Index provide state and legal resources, with a web site for updates. If friendly dialogue and attempted resolution doesn’t work, the reader is taken to the next level with suggestions of what statutes, laws, or legal contacts or actions might help.

I serve on the board of my district community council board, and attend the monthly community meetings where residents bring problems that range from noise, disintegrating retaining walls, and junk cars, to meth labs, guns, and vandalized vacant houses. Very few attempted resolutions seem to have started with a civil conversation. I realize that sometimes fear is an uninvited guest, and all too often, it’s not clear in some neighborhoods who actually lives, owns, or is responsible for a house, especially a rental which a German bank owns.

Given all that, I very highly recommend Neighbor Law as a reference handbook for any community group, neighborhood mediator, or just easy, helpful reading to be a more informed, understanding, and proactive resident.

State statutes, general laws, common sense guidelines and reasonable use guidelines are offered for various situations and disputes , including unclear boundary lines, overhanging trees, animal issues, ‘attractive’ nuisances, fences, and noisy neighbors. When things go too far, there is a section on restoring relations. Whether you live in a bungalow on Primrose Lane, a McMansion in Andover, a farm in Forest Lake, or you are one of 300 apartment units on McKnight, you are someone’s neighbor - buy the book and first read the tips on building community.

Now, please excuse me, I really need to read the section on secondhand smoke.

Thank you, Cora Jordan and Emily Doskow, for helping maintain a higher quality of neighborhood life!
sh 6/11/11 ( )
  walkonmyearth | Jun 11, 2011 |

Anyone who lives next door to, across the street from, below, or above another person — on a city street or in a suburban subdivision governed by a homeowners' association — is likely to face a challenging neighbor situation at some point.

Neighbor Law helps homeowners resolve conflicts and ease the stress and even sleepless nights that can go along with them. It explains how to deal with long-term tensions or difficult neighbors while understanding whose side the law is on. Homeowners also learn how to avoid troubles by being good neighbors themselves.

From blocked views to boundary issues to ceaseless noise from a neighboring business to property that's hazardous to children, Neighbor Law shows homeowners how to deal with difficult situations and keep their home lives peaceful.

The 7th edition contains new sample letters for engaging with a neighbor over a dispute, plus new material on how to build community and prevent disputes.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0873376501, Paperback)

The world is full of barking dogs and trespassing trees, spite fences and 2 a.m. rock fests, but your neighbor's lack of consideration needn't be your lifelong headache. The Nolo Press guide to Neighbor Law, eruditely and accessibly written by attorney Cora Jordan, explains all the laws relevant to noise, obstructed views, and invading branches and roots, boundary lines, fences, and attractions that might be dangerous to children (such as an open swimming pool), otherwise known as "attractive nuisances." But it's not enough to merely know the legal facts. Jordan also delves into how to research local laws, how to approach the offending neighbor, and how, if it comes to this, to explore mediation or the final justice of the small-claims court. In today's world, it takes more than a good fence to make a good neighbor; thoughtfulness and tact would be nice, but as they are often in short supply, knowledge of the law is a necessary first step toward solving your neighborly disputes. --Stephanie Gold

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:10 -0400)

"Shows homeowners how to deal with neighbor disputes while explaining whose side the law is on. The 7th edition contains new sample letters for engaging with a neighbor over a dispute, plus new material on how to build community and prevent disputes"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Cora Jordan's book Neighbor Law was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Nolo

2 editions of this book were published by Nolo.

Editions: 1413307515, 1413313205

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,506,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible