The Book of Occult by Simon W. Clark

The Book of Occult (edition 2013)

by Simon W. Clark (Author)

Member:LesliePoston
Title:The Book of Occult
Authors:Simon W. Clark (Author)
Info:Itoh Press (2013), 328 pages
Tags:to-read

The Book of Occult by Simon W. Clark

Superb Story-telling:

I'm a big fan of fictional adventures this author had my attention from the very start. The combination of the occult and history was exciting and original. There was many layers to the plot and the action goes along at the right speed to keep you keen. I found the blend of dialogue and narrative mostly good and the different countries a great backdrop.

I look forward to more from this talented storyteller. ( )
  J_L1937 | Mar 14, 2014 |
History, suspense, and a phenomenal story line- Oh My! Every now and then I will find the diamond in the rough- a book that is right up my genre alley that is actually well written and compelling. Well here it is.
After an unseeingly mishap with the workings of operating an occult ritual, a ready to be world traveler embarks on a journey to find any clues or answers to what could be one of the most mysterious findings to date.
Without giving too much away, I must say the author knows how to capture his readers and make them beg for the main characters mercy. This novel will definitely be loved by many and I look forward to seeing more from this author in the future! ( )
  NikkiNine | Mar 9, 2014 |
To be honest, before reading this book, I knew next to nothing about anything occult (meaning more than anything). I was pleasantly surprised by the engaging nature of this genre. I really enjoyed the suspenseful nature of the book's subject matter. The mixture of historical along with fictional items added to the realism of the story for me. The writing style was great, which keeps the reader engaged throughout the book. The character development and plot were great as well. I hope to read some more in this genre, and will be following Clark after my first experience here. ( )
  darrinlowe | Mar 7, 2014 |
Simon Clark’s ‘The Book of Occult’ will drop your jaws—the last time a novel surprised me in this way was when I read Umberto Eco’s ‘Foucault’s Pendulum twelve years ago. Now Clark, with his masterful blending of fact and fiction, ups the ante with this book. Clark’s book is like a better-written Dan Brown novel—it has all the fun elements of a great, compelling page-turner, and you won’t squirm uncomfortably in your seat from the awkward passages. ’The Book of Occult’ is top-notch writing from an obviously seasoned author.

At its heart, ‘the Book of Occult’s’ premise is interesting at the get-go: how the occult may play an unseen hand in global events. Peter Ashton has always been intrigued by the old French manuscript he owns. On a lark, he decides to understand the scribblings so he flies to Paris to consult an expert on 19th century occult, Dr. Roux. There he learns of the manuscript’s value and significance. Meanwhile, a wealthy LA-based acquaintance persuades Peter to take part in what seems a grandiose scheme to solve the world’s problems through solutions offered by the occult. But that’s only for starters—the author actually blends a dizzying array of plots and subplots (criss-crossing the globe from France to the US to Iraq) and, quite masterfully, succeeds in tying them all up in the end to arrive at a powerful, jaws-dropping climax.

Simon Clark knows which buttons to push and how—for example, Tarry’s sudden death in the prologue is touché and demonstrates the kind of reading experience you’re about to enjoy: a gripping edge-of-your-seat thrill ride. Simon succeeds in the big things and the small things—his literary ability to penetrate the small moments is uncanny and makes ‘The Book of Occult’ much more than just another number in the genre.

Overall, I love this book and highly recommend it to fans of the genre, or even those who just want a book that won’t let them down as far as full reading enjoyment is concerned. Simon Clark is an author worth watching out for: I’ll snatch up his next book when it comes out. Five stars for this one. ( )
  jblazarte | Mar 3, 2014 |
Read this recently and really enjoyed it.

Fast paced story containing real historical figures blended with a fictional modern story. One of the best thrillers I have read in a long time.
The main character Peter Ashton searchs for the author of an old occult book. He encounters danger and foul play as his quest intensifies. I felt Mr Clark really brings the reader along in his very imaginative style and lets you decide how you feel about the characters. The plots are expertly spun to keep you guessing right until the last pages.
Creative work from an author on his debut novel. Definitely worth reading if you like thrillers and even if you just like imaginative stories. ( )
  C_Lace | Mar 2, 2014 |
added by NikkiNine | editonline, Nikki (Mar 8, 2014)

added by NikkiNine | editMaine, Nikki (Mar 8, 2014)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 193938365X, Paperback)

One man's search for a mystery author catapults him into a dangerous race to unlock esoteric wisdom that has been hidden and disputed for thousands of years.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:28 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,448,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible