Long Hidden: Speculative Fiction from the…

Long Hidden: Speculative Fiction from the Margins of History

by Rose Fox (Editor), Daniel José Older (Editor)

Other authors: Kemba Banton (Contributor), Esme Baran (Interior art), Nicolette Barischoff (Contributor), Lisa Bolekaja (Contributor), Shanaé Brown (Contributor)34 more, GMB Chomichuk (Interior art), Janet Chui (Interior art), Julie Dillon (Cover artist), Tananarive Due (Contributor), Thoraiya Dyer (Contributor), David Fuller (Contributor), Sasha Gallagher (Interior art), Kasey Gifford (Interior art), Jamey Hatley (Contributor), Claire Humphrey (Contributor), Robert William Iveniuk (Contributor), Michael Janairo (Contributor), Meg Jayanth (Contributor), L.S. Johnson (Contributor), Kima Jones (Contributor), Daria Khvostova (Interior art), Victor LaValle (Contributor), Ken Liu (Contributor), Christina Lynch (Contributor), S. Lynn (Contributor), Nilah Magruder (Interior art), Alice Meichi (Interior art), Sunny Moraine (Contributor), Nnedi Okorafor (Contributor), Eric Orchard (Interior art), Aaron Paquette (Interior art), Benjamin Parzybok (Contributor), Sarah Pinsker (Contributor), Sofia Samatar (Contributor), Rion Amilcar Scott (Contributor), Kaysha Siemens (Interior art), Nghi Vo (Contributor), Sabrina Vourvoulias (Contributor), Troy L. Wiggins (Contributor)

15714109,885 (4)11

Excellent anthology. I'm excited a second one will be coming out! ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Long Hidden is a speculative fiction anthology focusing on the those marginalized by history – people of color, queer people, disabled people, women, ect. The stories are set in different periods and locals throughout Earth’s history, and all of them involve some fantastical element.

Long Hidden was of fairly average quality when it came to short story collections. There’s a number of stories I liked, a lot that left me cold, and a few that I struggled with. I doubt it will take long for me to forget the vast majority of the stories in Long Hidden. The one exception is my favorite story of the collection, Ken Liu’s “Knotting Grass, Holding Ring,” a dark tale of two women struggling to survive as their city is invaded. For all its brutality, “Knotting Grass, Holding Ring” also managed to create some beauty.

“Free Jim’s Mine” by Tananrive Due is a very well constructed story of a runaway slave in the American South and her Cherokee husband. I’ll admit that I was apathetic for most of the story, but the twist at the end adds some intriguing layers to this tale.

There were actually a large number of other stories also set in the US or Canada, twelve in total out of twenty-seven stories. There were also five more stories set in Western Europe, giving the overall collection a greater focus on the West than I expected. While other stories did range across Latin America, Africa, Eastern Europe, and Asia, I would have preferred for them to make up a greater segment of the collection.

Other stories I enjoyed include “The Colts” by Benjamin Parzybok, where executed Hungarian peasants rise from the grave. “A Wedding in Hungry Days” by Nicolette Barischoff tells of the marriage between a lonely dead girl and a lonely living boy in rural China. “Each Part Without Mercy” by Meg Jayanth is set in India during 1746 and follows a girl whose dreams lend themselves to an unusual purpose. “Diyu” by Robert William Iveniuk adds a bit of science fiction to the collection with a Buddhist monk working on a railroad in Canada having an alien encounter.

The only story I skipped was “Jooni” by Emba Banton. I read the first few pages but wasn’t feeling it. There were only a couple of other stories that I actually disliked. “Ffydd (Faith)” by S. Lynn was confusing and meandering, and I don’t understand why it was included in the first place. “Marigolds” by L. S. Johnson was mentioned on the back cover, and I was excited for it going in. A f/f romance in revolutionary France! Unfortunately, I was disappointed. The speculative element didn’t seem well thought out, I didn’t buy the connection between the two women, and I was put off by what I interpreted as an attempt at a love spell.

I was excited about the inclusion of interior illustrations, but I found most of those to be disappointing as well. But at least the cover art is gorgeous. I do want to note that I hated the formatting of the paperback copy I read. There were practically no margins, and it made it very difficult to read. If you’re going to read this collection, I’d suggest trying to get an ebook copy instead.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Mar 1, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a badly needed and spectacular collection overlooked marginal narratives and viewpoints. Although speculative and fantastical, they are well rooted echoes of reality and the mirroring creates a powerful commentary on both the field of speculative literature and the world around us. I found all the stories to be strongly written, full of resonance and many stayed with me long afterwards. And beyond the stories themselves (a number by favoured authors) there was the delight of searching for other work by the contributors, and that is an additional value of this collection of this size - exposure of authors new to the reader.

(I was sure that I had posted this review, but apparently not. I mention this (along with noting that I supported the original Kickstarter for this as well) so that the delay between receiving the Early Reviewer copy and this review does not imply I found this collection difficult to read or get through, for indeed it was quite the opposite - I had been greatly looking forward to it, and devoured it as soon as I had my hands on it. )
  Ethaisa | Nov 27, 2014 |
I received this book as a reward for supporting the kickstarter project that made it possible. "Most written chronicles of history, and most speculative stories, put rulers, conquerors, and invaders front and center," the editors wrote in the project description. "People with less power, money, or status—enslaved people, indigenous people, people of color, queer people, laborers, women, people with disabilities, the very young and very old, and religious minorities, among others—are relegated to the margins."

Long Hidden: Speculative Fiction from the Margins of History provides alternative narratives, presenting the stories of people that the history books usually ignore. A wide ranging variety of voices populate this excellent collection of stories, offered alongside an individual black and white illustrations, also in a variety of styles. The stories are anchored in time and place, with the date and setting noted at the top of each one, this connection with real-world history makes these stories of the fantastic more believable. There was not a single one in this collection that I didn't like and, for me, the stories ranged from good to utterly fantastic. Below are a few of my personal favorites.

In "Free Jim's Mine" by Tananarive Due escaped slave Lottie and her Cherokee husband are running for freedom. Along the way they seek out her Uncle Jim for help in their escape, but they find out that Uncle Jim's help has a price.

As I'm a sucker for great Baba Yaga story, I had to fall in love with "Across the Seam" by Sunny Moraine. The gritty setting of a coal mining town on the verge of a strike suits the story well. (Moraine has a great blog post about how the story ties in her own family history.)

"Angela and the Scar" by Michael Janairo was a bloody and yet delightful story about a girl and her kapfre (a cigar smoking trickster fairy that lives in the trees) aiding in the fight against the white strangers in the Philippines.

"Perhaps the best tales are only half-told," writes Benjamin Parzybok in "The Colts," a story of the undead that was surprisingly human, haunting, and unexpected.

"Nine" by Kima Jones tells the story of three women and their young boy, who live and work in a lodge and tavern that serves people of color outside of town. This story socked me in the gut in the best of ways.

"It's War" by Nnedi Okorafor is a tale of a girl who can fly, set in 1929 Nigeria. Such a lovely story with so many feels.

"Medu" by Lisa Bolekaja is a magical hair story, about a young girl and her dad as cattle herders in the Wild West. I love seeing alternative visions of the west, in which the focus is on more that the great white cowboy. So damn cool!

Nicolette Barischoff's "A Wedding in Hungry Days", which is the sweet story of a young, lonely ghost who weds a young, lonely boy. So good, it made me cry. The story is paired with this gorgeous illustration by Eric Orchard.

andreablythe | Oct 28, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As with most of Cross Genres collections, this was a solid set of short stories with a few stand out brilliant ones. Unlike some of their other collections, I think the determination to include as many diverse stories as possible has weakened the collection as a whole, with more than one that dragged and some repetitive themes. If a few had been held back for a second volume it might have made for a tighter anthology. It would also have allowed for space to include the usual author biographies at the end of each story, which I sorely missed in terms of contextualising some of the works. I did appreciate the addition of illustrations, though I suspect they have more impact in colour. ( )
  MinaKelly | Jul 7, 2014 |

Wiggins, Troy L.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cruté, JenniferInterior artsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holt, Kay T.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leib, Bart R.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Most written chronicles of history, and most speculative stories, put rulers, conquerors, and invaders front and center. People with less power, money, or status--enslaved people, indigenous people, people of color, queer people, laborers, women, people with disabilities, the very young and very old, and religious minorities, among others--are relegated to the margins. Today, mainstream history continues to perpetuate one-sided versions of the past while mistelling or erasing the stories of the rest of the world. There is a long and honorable legacy of literary resistance to erasure. This anthology partakes of that legacy. It will feature stories from the margins of speculative history, each taking place between 1400 and the early 1900s and putting a speculative twist--an element of science fiction, fantasy, horror, or the unclassifiably strange--on real past events" --… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Rose Fox's book Long Hidden: Speculative Fiction from the Margins of History was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,718,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible