Snow Falling on Cedars (Penguin Longman…

Snow Falling on Cedars (Penguin Longman Reader Level 6)

by David Guterson, Chris Tribble (Editor)

A suitable novel to read while Manchester has been covered in snow and freezing cold. The blurb calls it a whodunnit, but it seemed more a novel about different communities, prejudice, the scars of war, pride, families and relationships. The tensions comes from wondering if the main character, the journalist, will do the right thing or not; is his heart so broken and his mind so warped or is there still a glimmer of the young man he was before the war in there.
For me, this novel went too far around the subject, said too many words to tell the tale and generally often failed to get to the point. However, it was good enough to keep me reading and some of the historical detail was interesting. ( )
  Tifi | Dec 26, 2010 |
Excellent writing and story. Loved it. ( )
  SilversReviews | May 15, 2009 |
a classic -- must read!!! ( )
  liisa22 | May 6, 2009 |
A truly wonderful story. I absolutely loved it! ( )
  picnicgal | Mar 12, 2009 |
I gave it 2-1/2 out of 4 stars in my rating system. It was well written. It was an easy read. However, the author did a poor job of convincing me that a person of Japanese heritage couldn't beat the rap. Racism was an undercurrent, but at no time did I view the characters in the book as overwhelmingly racist. Therefore, I was quite surpirsed at the end when the jurors were ready to convict based on ethnicity.
  mrsthereef | Feb 18, 2009 |

Guterson, DavidAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tribble, ChrisEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Please distinguish this 1997 abridged & simplified edition from David Guterson's original novel, Snow Falling on Cedars (1994). Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 058241928X, Paperback)

Ishmael Chambers, the one-man staff of the newspaper on San Piedro Island in Puget Sound, is covering the 1954 trial of a high school classmate accused of killing another classmate over a land dispute. Actor Peter Marinker--a stage veteran who has appeared in such movies as The Russia House and The Emerald Forest--takes us deep inside the world created by David Guterson in his award-winning 1994 novel. We learn the sensory details of life in a small fishing community; the emotional lives of people scarred inside and out by World War II; and the deep and unresolved prejudices toward the island's Japanese Americans, who were interned during the war--a tragedy that led to financial advantage for some islanders. Marinker deliberately but nimbly moves from the characters' distinctive voices to the poignant interior perspectives of the soulful, wounded Chambers as he tells a combination love story, murder mystery, and painful history lesson. (Running time: 15 hours, 10 cassettes) --Lou Schuler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:32 -0400)

It is 1954 and Kabuo Myiamoto is on trial for murder. He is a Japanese American living on the island of San Piedro, off the north-west coast of America. The second World War has left an atmosphere of anger and suspicion in this small community. Will Kabuo receive a fair trial? And will the true cause of the victim's death be discovered?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,439,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible