The Bride Insists by Jane Ashford

The Bride Insists

by Jane Ashford

For a romance, there was not a lot of romance (but there was passion ;). When you read it you will understand. They had to build their relationship first.

Clare is a governess, and she longs for something else. She inherits money, but typically, her idiot evil cousin has a say on how she can spend it. Poor Clare, she just wanted freedom. To make her own choices, to have her own money. So she marries someone who needs money and signs a contract.

Jamie, oh Jamie. I wanted to kick him in the balls. It works really well with hating for for parts (do not worry about that!). I am not going to say where the issue lay, but it had to due with him being a male, and thinking a certain way at times. Then I wanted to kick him in the balls and slap him.

So as you can see their hasty marriage does come with issues. They move closer, they move further apart. Insert 2 siblings, a house falling apart, some passion and two strong wills.

I must say it has been a while since I wanted to slap someone like this. Mostly it's cos they are evil or does evil things but here, it was just different. And when they all got their heads straight it was nice to see a HEA. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
The Bride Insists could have been so good, with its finely-crafted prose and interesting characters. The problem is the plotting. There are just too many misunderstandings between the hero and heroine. By the end, after one last mixup involving the heroine's OTT evil cousin, I just wanted to hurl the book across the room. I also did not like that the author chose the names Jamie and Clare for the hero and heroine...afer all, they're already taken. ( )
  Janet126 | May 11, 2014 |
THE BRIDE INSISTS by Jane Ashford is an interesting Regency Historical Romance.

Get ready to meet, Clare Greenbough and James Boleigh, seventh baron Trehearth. They are definitely in for a shock! A marriage of convenience may not be so convenient after all. Oh they both have very different ideas on their marriage, for one, Clare is not a submissive wife while, James is not such an easy going husband. This is only their first of many mistakes.

Passion will overrule their ideas, as the heart enters into their marriage. A must read. Filled with passionate kisses and other things, a battle of wits, and a fight for love. Engaging and entertaining characters. Not only are the main characters charming, but the secondary characters are just as engaging. Ms. Ashford is a talented author and THE BRIDE INSISTS is an enjoyable read! Received for an honest review.

RATING:4

HEAT RATING: MILD

REVIEWED BY: AprilR, courtesy of My Book Addiction and More ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Apr 2, 2014 |
I wanted to really like this book, but I found it a just okay book. Most of the book is about Clare and Selene with occasional glimpses of Jamie. Even Selene and the vicar's romance had more excitement then the two lead characters. I didn't like Jamie at all at any point in the book and found myself skimming over his pages of alcohol abuse. He only really played any real part in the story at around the 60-65% mark then became an even bigger ass. This was the first and most likely last book by this author that I've read.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. ( )
  amdrane2 | Mar 6, 2014 |

Governess Clare Greenough stands to inherit a fortune, but first she must marry Jamie Boleigh, seventh Baron of Trehearth, and soon enough, Clare's cousin tricks Jamie into betraying Clare, an action that strains their marriage nearly to the breaking point.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,642,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible