Immortal: A Novel of the Fallen Angels by J.…

Immortal: A Novel of the Fallen Angels

by J. R. Ward

Please note: I didn't accept to read this book. I declined it because it was the last book in a series. But it was sent home to my anyway and I read it because I am both stubborn and dutiful. So if you like this book series you will probably don't like this book review. But before you write to me and complain, bear in mind that I have the freedom to express my thoughts to writing down what I thought about the book!

The creator has created a game, in which Jim, a champion from heaven, fights against Devina a demon from hell has over souls. There are 7 souls in the game and whoever gets 4 wins. And he/she just doesn’t get a t-shirt. The winner gets all the souls, living and dead and dominion over heaven and hell.

You see here, this is my biggest problem with the book, the story just don’t make sense to me. Perhaps it all the years studying theology that makes my go wtf over the story. Why on earth would the Creator (God) create a game like this? To be fair, I haven’t read the previous five books, but this just doesn’t make sense to me. Was the Creator bored on day and thought “ what the heck I will gamble the rights to every soul and also the dominion over heaven and hell just for fun”?

See even Crowley finds that weird!

Another problem is Sissy, one of the souls that Jim saves. First of all, I can’t stop thinking about Guy Maddin's short video Sissy boy slap party every time I see her name. So I thought about the video a lot of times during the book. Never seen it? Watch it! Anyway, Sissy and Jim are apparently in love and that means a lot of sex in the book… fine I can take sex scenes in books if it necessary to the plot and also good written. But in this book I just mentally sighed every time it was time for a sex scene, skimmed the text to get it over and move on to the story. Honestly, I skimmed the last 100 pages quite a lot…

But if you are up for an erotic paranormal book series about demons and angels then this is a series for you. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Immortal
Book 6 of The Fallen Angels

It's a chore to even write a review for this one. I just want to say "ditto" or copy/paste my review for Book 5. I actually bought this book and read it, then picked it up again at the library (a couple weeks later, no less) before realizing I had already read it. That's how memorable it was. I was waiting for a grand finale to the series and belatedly realized this was it (I think?). Okay, then.

Yes, I was drawn to the characters and wanted things to work out for them. Yes, I read the whole series because of the same.

Jim Heron is a fallen angel who has been chosen to be the "savior" of humanity. He battles the demon, Devina, throughout--each tasked with trying to convince seven souls to lean their way. Whoever chalks up the majority of souls wins--wins ALL the souls both in heaven and hell. So if Heron loses? All of humanity is doomed. This is the premise of this particular series.

This final chapter (is it really the end?) centers around the final soul to be saved. And no surprise who that soul is to anyone who read the previous books. This also centers around the story line of some key angels residing in heaven and of Jim's relationship with Sissy, the young woman he rescued from Devina's lair in hell.

Blah, blah, blah. Anti-climactic ending. Boring. I think even Ward got bored writing this. That would explain a lot. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Oct 19, 2015 |
Immortal is the last of J. R. Ward's Fallen Angels series, and what a great ending! There is a contest going on between Heaven and Hell, for seven souls. If the chosen for each round makes the righteous choice the soul is saved and Heaven wins that round; if the chosen walks the path of evil intent Hell wins. At the end of the last book Hell was up 3 rounds to 2. Our hero Jim has a lot of work to do to make sure Heaven wins the next two rounds, or else the world comes under the rule of evil. I frankly had been hoping since there were 7 rounds that there would be that many books. The writing is outstanding and certainly could have sustained 1 more entry. Alas, that was not the plan. In some ways I thought this book was predictable, particularly in terms of the identity of the last two souls, but there were other surprises I wasn't expecting. I felt like all of the important loose threads were tied up nicely. I'm also hoping there will be a spin off series, though to say more would give too much away. Suffice it to say I thought this was a fitting end for some of the characters in the series, but hopefully just the beginning for others. Highly recommended if you are a fan of the series, but this is not a good stand alone book. If this is your first exposure to this series you should definitely start at the beginning. ( )
  DVKov | Jan 2, 2015 |
Immortal

The Characters

Jim, Ad, Eddie, Devina, Sissy, you know the whole crew.

The Story

Was long. And plentiful. I really can’t even put it into words properly. Overall I will say it was an okay read.

The Random Thoughts

3 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Dec 31, 2014 |
I didn’t realize this would be the last book. Now the series is over. I’m not as upset as I thought I might be. This last book didn’t seem on par with the first few in this series. Something about it seemed a little off. I still really enjoyed the way these characters talked and interacted, especially the men. I’ve never been that much into the romance of Ward’s books. Speaking of which the romance wasn’t like Ward’s usual here either. I can’t say if that’s a good thing or not. However given that this book was the culmination of the war present in this series it kind of makes sense that the lovin’ would be on the back burner. I guess the ending was a little anti-climatic for me. But there’s still a sweetness there. I’m looking forward to Ward’s newest book in 2015 for her Black Dagger Brotherhood series. If you enjoy paranormal romance I would recommend this series and that one. ( )
  Kassilem | Nov 1, 2014 |

From J.R. Ward, the #1 New York Times bestselling author who has kept readers on the edge of their seats with her phenomenal Fallen Angels novels, comes one of the most heart-stirring and eagerly anticipated events in that acclaimed series.

This is a world where sin and salvation collide. This is a world where a cynical fallen angel struggles with the seven deadly sins and seven chosen souls.  With the spellbinding Immortal, the riveting series that “changed the face of paranormal romance” (Suit101.com) comes to an epic close as mankind’s reluctant savior struggles with his greatest challenge yet...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:24 -0400)

"The Creator invented the game, and the stakes are nothing less than the fate of both the quick and the dead: seven souls, seven crossroads--each an opportunity for salvation or damnation. Coming into this sixth round, reluctant savior Jim Heron has compromised himself, his body and his soul, and even still, he's on the verge of losing everything.... And that includes Sissy, the innocent he freed from Hell. Jim's determined to protect her--but this makes her a weakness the demon Devina can exploit. With Sissy once again in danger, and Jim torn between the game and the woman he's sworn to defend, evil's ready to play dirty and finally claim Jim for her own. As the war comes into its final chapters, humanity's savior is prepared to do anything it takes to win--and that includes embarking on a suicide mission into the very darkest shadows of Purgatory. True love is Jim's only hope for survival--and victory. But can a man with no heart and no soul be saved by something he doesn't believe in?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,622,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible