Ill Wind (Valkyrie) by Karen Perkins

Ill Wind (Valkyrie)

by Karen Perkins

261415,071NoneNone

When I received this book from the First Reads program I was excited to have found a new author that I had never heard of before. K.A Perkins does an excellent job portraying a 17th century Caribbean. An Ill Wind tells the story of a young girl, Gabriella, who is sold off into marriage to a man who, well lets just say, he isn't very nice. She befriends a slave girl who helps her through her tough times, and takes care of her as best she can. This is a novella, the first in the Valkyrie series, so its just a quick read, but has a lot of story packed into its' 116 pages.

I love when a book can make me feel for a character, whether it's a kindred feeling, one of disgust, or a feeling of pure fear. K.A. Perkins succeeded in doing that for me. I felt Gabriella's distress in leaving her mom and dad, meeting her new husband. But I also felt her confidence, and then her fear more towards the end. This book did a fantastic job at picking me up from my cold winter days, and transporting me to the hot and sticky Caribbean heat aboard the Freyja. It took me a little while to adjust to their dialect, but it really did add to the story for me. I was left wanting to know what happens next and was VERY happy to find out that the second book in the Valkyrie series, Dead Reckoning, is a full length novel!

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a good historical adventure! I will definitely be reading the next one sometime soon, as soon as I can get my hands on it. A great start to the Valkyrie series!
  oddball2003 | Feb 21, 2013 |

Karen Perkins is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Average: No ratings.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,081,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible