Midnight Abyss: A Collection of Darklings

Midnight Abyss: A Collection of Darklings

621,268,033 (3)None

If you like horror, you need to read this.

I’m impressed by how many different styles of writing and kinds of horror were represented in this anthology. And possibly how many times reading startled me and made me make rather high pitched noises of alarm, fright, all-out disgust. Demons, vampires, nasty psychological twists. Even, and this took me by surprise, a few nicely dark poems.

My favorite kind of scary story is the subtly chilly kind- I prefer psychological scares and ghost stories to gruesome tales. Stories that I found satisfyingly creepy included “Debt Collectors,” by Gregory K. Shipman; “Double Vision” by Anisa A. Claire. I also really liked the shadowy atmosphere of the poem, “Requiem,” by Theresa Briscoe Tschetter. “Queen of the Night,” by Kelleigh Elizabeth Perry was both funny and spooky, which works for me. The detailed level of description in “Lily of the Valley” by Shaun Alexander made it almost too scary for me. But just this side of almost.

Read the complete review on my blog ( )
  ewillse | Mar 23, 2014 |
If you like horror, you need to read this.

I���m impressed by how many different styles of writing and kinds of horror were represented in this anthology. And possibly how many times reading startled me and made me make rather high pitched noises of alarm, fright, all-out disgust. Demons, vampires, nasty psychological twists. Even, and this took me by surprise, a few nicely dark poems.

My favorite kind of scary story is the subtly chilly kind- I prefer psychological scares and ghost stories to gruesome tales. Stories that I found satisfyingly creepy included ���Debt Collectors,��� by Gregory K. Shipman; ���Double Vision��� by Anisa A. Claire. I also really liked the shadowy atmosphere of the poem, ���Requiem,��� by Theresa Briscoe Tschetter. ���Queen of the Night,��� by Kelleigh Elizabeth Perry was both funny and spooky, which works for me. The detailed level of description in ���Lily of the Valley��� by Shaun Alexander made it almost too scary for me. But just this side of almost.

Read the complete review on my blog ( )
  PatienceFortitude | Mar 6, 2014 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,044,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible