The Perfect Player by Devon Winterson

The Perfect Player

by Devon Winterson

312,001,085 (5)None

Caendoria. What a world.

And I do mean what a world. Kimberly Grenfell (a.k.a. Devon Winterson) has something that most writers wish they possessed: the ability to construct an entire imaginary world with ease (I imagine she’ll be laughing at this point—ease, ha!). But the fact is that Caendoria feels so incredibly real that I can’t imagine anyone not becoming immersed within the pages of this book. Seriously.

Now, there were times when words were merely ornamental trappings that escaped the chopping block, probably because there’s nothing wrong with them other than being sophisticated language. For the average fantasy reader, this will be reminiscent of the days of high epic fantasy. This book is not a hard read, but it’s not beach material. There is layer upon layer of complexity without it being a complex read.

A few key terms were highly overused, but in the realm of fantasy, sometimes we have no other way of saying something if that imaginary world negates the use of anything else. For some reason, I feel like it might have come off less repetitive if the narrative were in first-person perspective. Repetitive thoughts sound more realistic when you’re actually in the mind of the character.

This is not for kids. At all. Dark fantasy means dark fantasy. As a fantasy reader, I don’t usually travel over into the sub-culture that is dark fantasy. However, as I said, the world is well constructed and immersive. Also, the characters are fascinating, even the bizarrely twisted and insane ones.

All I can say is that this book is definitely worth a read, whether you typically enjoy fantasy or not. Kimberly is a phenomenal writer. Writing is a craft, one that you can definitely see she’s been honing for years. Although this book is part of an upcoming series, the story has a beginning and ending on its own. I highly recommend The Perfect Player as a throwback to the days of high fantasy. This is truly an epic story. I’m excited and look forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  AuthorLMGreen | Feb 12, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,183,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible