Clockwork Tangerine by Rhys Ford

Clockwork Tangerine

by Rhys Ford

BMB Reviews December Author of the Month

3.75 stars--My first Rhys Ford.

And? I liked it. The writing is pretty good. This was Steampunk with a Victorian England background. The world had a little bit of arcane mixed with industrialization. Twas good.

I enjoyed the main characters. I got my favorite 3 B's: big, brawny and blond in Marcus, Viscount Westwood - pugilist, noble and gay. And he automatically falls for a man getting beaten by a bunch of thugs in an alley. And did I mention, the man who Marcus saves, Robin, also created a machine that the Society used for destruction including murderin Marcus' father.

Thankfully, Marcus realizes it wasn't Robin's fault. Robin was the victim and he more than paid his price. Ostracized for being a "sodomite" and serving time in an insane asylum, Robin has gotten a raw deal in his life.

But the doctor gets saved by Marcus in more ways than one.

The story is romantic and condensed. Some parts I wish were more fleshed out (relationship building). There are time jumps, that for bare bones, work but if they were given more time to progress and less jumpy, it would have surpassed into the 4 or 5 star mark for me.

The secondary character were a hoot especially Marcus' grandmother, the dowager Duchess. She's full of win.
“I… have an unnatural fondness for him, Duchess. One might even say that I love him. As a man should love a woman, really.”
“Well, I would imagine the mechanics of that would be different.”
It was sexy, definitely romantic. There is hurt/comfort (score), winning characters and Steampunk setting that worked in the novella.

Just wished it was longer. Give the men some time realize their feelings, let us read their progression and become more hooked on them. It would have knocked it out of the park.

However, I'd read more from this author.

" ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |

Rhys Fordprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tremblay, GregNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,933,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible