Post Captain (Aubrey/Maturin) by Patrick…

Post Captain (Aubrey/Maturin) (original 1972; edition 1990)

by Patrick O'Brian (Author)

Series: Aubrey-Maturin (2)

4,207612,052 (4.12)113
In 1803, Napoleon smashes the Peace of Amiens, and Captain Jack Aubrey, R.N., taking refuge in France from his creditors, is interned. He escapes from France, from debtor's prison, and from a possible mutiny and pursues his quarry straight into the mouth of a French held harbor.
Member:kevinlilley
Title:Post Captain (Aubrey/Maturin)
Authors:Patrick O'Brian (Author)
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (1990), Edition: 1st, 496 pages

Post Captain by Patrick O'Brian (1972)

English (56)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (61)
I'll admit that I still can't parse half the naval terminology in these novels, but they are so relentlessly charming that I can't help but enjoy them. Dropping Aubrey and Maturin at the start of the story in a sort of Jane Austen-ish scenario is a true delight, as is much of what follows. ( )
  skolastic | Feb 2, 2021 |
Unabridged audiobook read by Ric Jerrom:
Jerrom is a skilled reader and helps to bring the story to life.

Note that there are separate audiobooks read by Patrick Tull. I recommend Ric Jerrom over Patrick Tull as a reader.

Simon Vance is another reader option but I haven't heard his version.
  rakerman | Nov 25, 2020 |
Stuck at home - libraries, etc. closed - I was happy to have this to read. I wish I had checked out a few more in the series. Well - I enjoyed it but still found it difficult to read/understand - different phraseology, strange words and sentence structure, etc. Still I got the gist of what was going on and look forward to #3 in the series. ( )
  repb | Mar 30, 2020 |
For me, there is no better summer reading than the Aubrey/Maturin series of Age of Sail adventures from Patrick O'Brian. Mix equal parts Jane Austen and geeked out historical descriptions of sailing, life in the English Navy during the Napoleonic wars on land and at sea all in O'Brian's enviable prose and you get broadsides of narrative firing off every 2 minutes.

Seriously, if you've never considered reading these do yourself a favor and give them a try. The stories are entertaining, the characters are as engaging as any in literature, and did I mention O'Brian's writing? The books are often undersold as adventures at sea but don't let the entertaining stories throw you, these books are indelibly crafted and very worth your time. ( )
1 vote Adrian_Astur_Alvarez | Dec 3, 2019 |

Waldegrave, WilliamIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wannenmacher, JuttaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
For Mary, with love
At first dawn the swathes of rain drifting eastwards across the Channel parted long enough to show that the chase had altered course.
'As for mutinies in general,' said Stephen, 'I am all in favour of 'em. You take men from their homes or their chosen professions, you confine them in insalubrious conditions upon a wholly inadequate diet, you subject them to the tyranny of bosun's mates, you expose them to unimagined perils; what is more, you defraud them of their meagre food, pay and allowances -- everything but this sacred rum of yours. Had I been at Spithead, I should certainly have joined the mutineers. Indeed, I am astonished at their moderation.'
     'Pray, Stephen, do not speak like this, nattering about the service; it makes me so very low. I know things are not perfect, but I cannot reform the world and run a man-of-war. In any case, be candid, and think of the Sophie -- think of any happy ship.'
     'There are such things, sure; but they depend upon the whim, the digestion and the virtue of one or two men, and that is iniquitous. I am opposed to authority, that egg of misery and oppression; I am opposed to it largely for what it does to those who exercise it.'
'I cannot tell you what a relief it is,' he said, bending to see whether the Amethyst's forestaysail were drawing, 'to be at sea. It is so clear and simple. I do not mean just escaping from the bums; I mean all the complications of life on shore. I do not think I am well suited to the land.' [Aubrey]
This morning, when I was walking beside the coach as it laboured up Ports Down Hill and I came to the top, with all Portsmouth harbour suddenly spread below me, and Gosport, Spithead and perhaps half the Channel Fleet glittering there - a powerful squadron moving out past Haslar in line ahead, all studdingsails abroad - I felt a longing for the sea. It has a great cleanliness. There are moments when everything on land seems to me tortuous, dark and squalid; though to be sure, squalor is not lacking aboard a man-of-war. [Maturin's diary]
A foolish German had said that man thought in words. It was totally false; a pernicious doctrine; the thought flashed into being in a hundred simultaneous forms, with a thousand associations, and the speaking mind selected one, forming it grossly into the inadequate symbols of words, inadequate because common to disparate situations - admitted to be inadequate for vast regions of expression, since for them there were the parallel languages of music and painting. Words were not called for in many or indeed most forms of thought: Mozart certainly thought in terms of music. He himself at this moment was thinking in terms of scent. [Maturin musing in an opera box]

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393307069, 0393037029

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,649,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible