Ghost Seer (The Ghost Seer Series) by Robin…

Ghost Seer (The Ghost Seer Series) (2014)

by Robin D. Owens

Enjoy the author, nice start to a series. Hope the others still continue forward. Clare has to adjust to her new gifts that she inherited from her great-aunt Sandra. Zach has to adjust to not being a police officer after a gun shot wound causes him to have drop foot. Throw in a ghost dog Enzo and you're set for a mystery series with its own twist. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Kind of eh. The romance was OK (if a bit too explicit - I really didn't need a description of what his d*** was doing every time he came near her); the ghost story, and the dealing with the severe changes in her life, was also OK. The two felt a bit bolted together, with some very convenient encounters. I am interested enough to read the next book, though - after that we'll see. Not up to Owens' best - but like several others, I prefer her full fantasy/SF romances to her contemporary/urban fantasy romances. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jun 12, 2015 |
Accountant Clare Cermak is surprised when she inherits her great aunt's millions. She is even more surprised when she starts seeing visions of Old Denver along with the current city. Sure her aunt had claimed to see ghosts but everyone just though she was a crazy lady. Has Clare inherited the insanity? When the ghost of her aunt's dog, Enzo, appears she is sure she is going over the edge. When Zack Slade, former cop, appears in her life she thinks she has a chance but she continues to be pulled deeper into the world of the dead.

OK, there is just too much back story to tell it all here. But I can say that I really like this book. As the first in a series there is a lot of introduction to characters and the world of a ghost seer. But that build of the story was done pretty well. There is some truly stupid dialog but I enjoyed the overall story so much that I could mostly overlook it. I love Enzo the ghost dog who will be Clare's guide as she becomes a ghost seer. I also like Zack, even though he is a big bag of self pity for a lot of the book. And I give them props that they managed to get through at least half the book before they jump in the sack, even though Zack has more erections than a 16 year old high schooler. I am looking forward to the next book which is already out. Thank goodness! ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Nov 19, 2014 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Straight-laced Clare has to come to terms with the fact that she can now see ghosts and keep her fingers crossed that her new love interest doesn’t think she’s completely nuts when he finds out. While the premise was interesting, the book as a whole didn’t end up working for me.

Opening Sentence: The minute he walked through that door, Zach Slade’s career, the one he loved, was over.

The Review:

The synopsis for this book had me very interested in reading it. Unfortunately, I ended up being largely disappointed. I often found myself coming up with excuses not to read, and that is never a good thing.

Clare’s life has certainly taken a turn for the unexpected. First, her aunt dies, leaving the majority of her fortune and estate to Clare. Suddenly a millionaire, Clare has to decide what direction her life should take. Then the ghost of her aunt’s dog shows up, telling her that she’s inherited her aunt’s gift for seeing the dead, and that she needs to take on the responsibility of helping ghosts find peace. As any person would do, Clare immediately makes an appointment with a therapist. Soon though, she begins to find it harder and harder to ignore the fact that something supernatural is certainly happening to her.

Zach Slade is a man with a chip on his shoulder, having recently retired as a police officer due to an injury suffered in the line of duty. Now back in Colorado, he’s trying to start his life over. When he runs into Clare one day, he feels his life is finally starting to look up. Little does he know that Clare is going to make him question what is real and what’s not. Will he be able to accept her newfound gift, or will he write her off as crazy?

As often is the case with books I don’t end up liking, I had a very hard time connecting to either Zach or Clare. Zach is incredibly bitter over the injury he suffered, and it makes him very hard to like. I can understand being upset at having your career derailed, but he’s had time for his leg to heal, and he needs to accept his life as it is now. His constant ruminating about it becomes very annoying as the book goes on. As for Clare, I never really got a good feel for her character. Her constant denial of what’s happening to her gets old, and it continues even after she accepts that she really is seeing ghosts. Not having a character to root for makes the plot drag on.

On the subject of Clare and Zach, I also had a hard time believing in their connection as a couple. It all just happens so fast. I’m much more a fan of the slow build up of chemistry, so I have a harder time when the hero and heroine fall into bed together when they barely know each other. I felt like I was constantly being told how attracted they are to each other, rather than their actions showing how they felt about each other.

All in all, I just didn’t end up liking this story very much. The plot dragged, I didn’t like the characters, and the romance fell flat. It made it very hard for me to make it through to the end. As much as I don’t usually like quitting a series after just one book, I’m not sure that I can muster up the will to read book 2 whenever it comes out.

Notable Scene:

“Let’s check out the box.”

Clare went to the table, opened the sack, and took out the box. Frowning, she stood directly under the light and studied it, tilted her head, then pushed down near the end of one side.

Nothing happened. “I think it’s supposed to be like a teeter-totter,” she said. “But it’s stuck. Maybe I should get some wood oil or something.”

“Maybe I could try?” Zach held out his hand.

She walked over and gave it to him. “That’s the top, and the panel that should move. I had a puzzle box when I was a kid, and you slid a couple of pieces of wood to open it, so that’s how I thought this one opened.”

Something was a little off here that Zach couldn’t put his finger on. “But now you think it needs to be pushed.”

“Yes,” she said in a stifled voice, rubbing goose bumps on her arms.

He reached out and put his arm around her waist, tugged her to stand beside him. With her came a nice trickle of cool air that seemed to swirl around his foot. Holding one end of the box, he pressed down with his thumb, felt a little give. He pushed harder, keeping the pressure steady. With an odd creak the box opened.

His breath whooshed out. Clare gave a strangled cry.

Inside was a mummified human ear.

FTC Advisory: Berkley/Penguin provided me with a copy of Ghost Seer. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Aug 5, 2014 |
Paranormal Romance introducing Clare Cermak, who along with her great-aunt’s physical inheritance, has also found herself seeing ghosts; a family “gift” that has been passed down for generations. Clare always thought her aunt was somewhat eccentric and a scam artist, making a great deal of money as a medium. Clare doesn’t believe in ghosts and thinks she’s going nuts when days later she’s seeing and hearing them everywhere. It turns out she can either accept her gift and help ghosts that approach her to transition over, or she’ll die in about a week; and she’s losing weight and energy fast.

Zach Slade is just moving back into the Denver area after working as a deputy sheriff for many years. He’s been sidelined by an injury after a screw up that leaves him disabled and to continue with the police, would be stuck at a desk job. He’s feeling very sorry for himself and doesn’t see a future. When the two meet, they’re both instantly interested. He’s comfortable with her, finds her sexy and she sees him, not his disability. We know she finds him sexy and the sex is great for both, but never really get a feel for what else draws her to him.

This is an incredibly slow moving story and a rocky romance as both need to come to grips with the major changes each are facing in their own lives.

We’re provided some interesting secondary characters who I would expect to be around for the next book, including the talking ghost of her aunt’s dog who is more than a shade. There is a lot for Clare to learn in regards to what she needs to do; more so than any other medium story I’ve ever read about. We haven’t heard all of the rules yet. Her area of interest is the Old West, so it’s in those states that she has to remain, starting off with Jack Slade—no relation to Zach—who has a reputation blown out of proportion. He needs her help in collecting something for him by the anniversary of his death and give it back to where he took it from in order to pass over.

The story really isn’t heavy on either the paranormal—ghosts seem kind of ordinary after reading about demons, vampires, shifters, etc—nor on the romance angle. It is heavy on lust and sex.

For me, this story falls somewhere between being okay and my liking it. The author overuses some words and concepts and a couple of things just don’t make sense, such as spraining an ankle, then hours later walking through a field and dancing on it. I believe I will read the next book if I can get it from the library, like I did this one. Since both seem to be more accepting of their new lives by the end of this book, I’d like to see what follows. ( )
  dearheart | May 25, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042526890X, Mass Market Paperback)

There’s just something about Clare. Apart from the ghosts…

When her eccentric aunt passes away, no-nonsense accountant Clare Cermac inherits more than just a small fortune. She receives the gift of communicating with ghosts. While Clare may not believe in spirits, it’s hard to overlook the shadowy talking dog appearing on her bed or spectral cowboys tipping their hats to her in the streets of Denver. And when she locks eyes with sexy—and living—Zach Slade, there’s certainly no ignoring him either.

A former deputy sheriff, Zach is leaving a painful past behind in Montana for a new life in Denver as a private investigator, a job that has him crossing paths with beautiful Clare. Not that she minds. After the restless ghost of a Wild West gunman demands her assistance, Clare finds herself needing Zach more and more—and not just for help.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:16 -0400)

When the ghost of a Wild West gunman needs a Denver woman's help, she finds herself getting close to a sexy private investigator.

Robin D. Owens is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,592,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible