One Is Come by C. H. MacLean

One Is Come

by C. H. MacLean

264415,071 (5)1

For fourteen-year-old Haylwen Rightad life is harsh. Beyond harsh, if truth be told. First of all, there's her annoying sixteen-year-old brother Cadarn, who delights in endlessly teasing her. Then there are her parents, who apparently have completely forgotten just how unfair life can be when you are always the new kid in school. In her entire life, Haylwen can't ever remember a time when she has stayed in one place long enough to make even one friend, so she doesn't understand why she's currently sitting in Principal Johansen's office being disciplined for something she didn't do.

Haylwen doesn't care who actually blew up the wall of the school library, all she knows is that it wasn't her fault. However, with the principal threatening suspension, Haylwen's sure of one thing: if the principal suspends her, her parents will have to move again. And Haylwen will miss another chance to finally make some real friends.

Her parents, forced to keep their own magical past silent, are shocked to learn that their daughter is indeed a magic user. That's just not possible; especially when she tested negative. Twice! Desperate to hide Haylwen from the King of magic users, they flee, but their efforts ultimately put them all in mortal danger.

Haylwen's parents don't know anything about the prophecy of 'The One'; or that the only one who doesn't suspect that Haylwen is an extremely powerful magic user is Haylwen herself. As the King schemes with the dragon clans to remake the world, and the dragon clans quietly set their own ulterior motives in motion, the time of 'The One' draws near. And as Haylwen struggles with her feelings of loneliness and unworthiness due to her inability to make a friend, little does she realize that the fate of the entire world rests on her choices. Will she learn about her magic and true friendship in time to save her life and hopefully the rest of the world?

Despite being seriously delayed in my reading, and having to postpone my review of Two Empty Thrones for about a month - I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I thought that the characters were well-developed and sympathetic, and the story is fast-paced and engaging. I also appreciated that there was a little bit of a back story provided about Abrennin and Crystyn Rightad; and their secretive magical pasts. I found these characters extremely likeable and completely believable as people.

In my opinion, the story flowed along easily and naturally - fire-breathing dragons, magical portals and ancient prophecies didn't seem out of place at all within the plot. One is Come by C. H. MacLean was an intriguing start to a new series. I give this book an A+! and am looking forward to starting the next book in the series: Two Empty Thrones. ( )
  rubyandthetwins | Jul 12, 2017 |
One is Come is book one in the Five in Circle Series.

Abrennin is charged with treason to the crown and although he denied the charge was sentenced to death. Crystyn, in love with Abrennin, begged the King for mercy. The King decided to spare his life if they both swore never to use or teach magic again. They were both sent into exile.
Little do they know that their daughter, Haylwen, is “the one” destined to save the world. As she starts to awaken, her parents are determined to save her from the King. However, they can do little to stop destiny.

C.H. MacLean has drawn a marvellous picture of the world of Abrennin and Crystyn and their teenage children Cadarn and Haylwen.
Haylwen comes across perfectly as the moody teen reluctantly embroiled in the plot to save the world.
I fell straight into this story and loved it immediately. I think as soon as I read the poem at the beginning I was hooked. The introduction of dragons into this fascinating fantasy just topped it off.
The story had a lot of unique twists and ideas. I liked how the powers that be had their sights on the wrong person, which made them a little less superior and whole controlling.
One is Come had me spellbound until the very last word. ( )
  Ronnie293 | Apr 27, 2014 |
This is a great story of magic and mystery! It is the story of a family caught up in prophecy and the need to survive. Haylwen and Cadarn are two typical teenagers, that unfortunately, have never stayed in one place long enough to make friends. Suddenly, their lives are turned upside down when strange things start happening. They learn to rely on each other and trust that their parents mean the best for them, given the circumstances.
This story involves wizards, dragons, prophecies, and kingdoms in turmoil! And the setting takes place in a modern day world like ours. It is a story that I would recommend to anyone who needs a little fantasy and adventure in their lives! I am really looking forward to the next book in this series! A definite must read! ( )
  cheriemccurry | Mar 29, 2014 |
I am looking forward to the next one in the series. [One is Come] by [C.H. MacLean] is a wonderful mix of magic, adventure and lore. The characters suffer from the typical teenage angst that is common everywhere and similar growing pains. The difference is the issue of puberty brings with it a secret that normal kids don't deal with.

The only people around the kids that can understand are their parents who have taken an oath not to speak of the magic. The conflicting powers fighting for control over the kids and their gift leads to more intrigue. I am still not sure who is good and who is bad, or even if there is a good or bad. Any book that has magic and dragons is always a good bet. ( )
  MsHooker | Mar 27, 2014 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

C. H. MacLean's book One is Come was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

C. H. MacLean is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,428,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible