Thief by Aaron Grunn

Thief

by Aaron Grunn

I had mixed feelings about this book. The main character is an expert thief... but only if her father is in touch with her? That is the main issue I had with the book. I get that she was breaking down when she told strangers about herself and what she does for a living, but something didn't just feel right in how she acted for most of the book.

I received this from LibraryThing's Member Giveaways. ( )
  dianek93 | Nov 17, 2014 |
This book did not do it for me. Do not get me wrong; nicely worded and the plot seems ok, but... The book starts off with a agile, crafty girl stealing artefacts. From page 3 and the rest of the book she is a helpless girl leaning on others and in the one or two situations were she steps up to the role it do not quite ring true. ( )
  jonfiskvik62 | May 14, 2014 |
You really need to get someone to edit the grammar in your book as there are a lot of mistakes which grate on the reader. I also think the line of coincidences is just too long to be believable - she runs into a taxi driver who happens to know someone int he museum who happens to know a fellow she falls in love with in 5 minutes . She is meant to be a very clever thief but has no proper plan and is still idiotic enough to go ahead anyway - she acts like an amateur and then goes into a room where she know an assassin is waiting for her??? Sorry, but a character's actions have to be believable and that spoilt what was a good idea. Great cover. ( )
  eurekahills | May 6, 2014 |
I really wanted to like this story, as it was the first review copy I received from Library Thing. However, I almost didn’t make it past the first page. Instead of reading quickly for enjoyment, I found myself trying to make sense of almost every sentence. Why would a woman kick off her high heels on the street? I would assume someone getting ready to commit burglary would want to be inconspicuous. Did she replace them with sneakers (to support her upcoming Spiderman trick)? Did she stow them in her backpack?

I almost stopped at this sentence in the first paragraph - “Outside the house a head inside a car move with crisp movements that spoke of military training.” Besides the awkward sentence construction, that makes no sense (as does much that follows).

Too many sentences are short and choppy and many are just phrases. I found several awkward phrases, such as "mansion house", "bespoke suited". Too little information is provided in some areas, too much in others. The main character's behavior & conversations made little sense. There is a possibility that an enjoyable story is buried in there somewhere, but due to the poor writing I stopped reading at 16% in. ( )
  eliselb | May 2, 2014 |
Aaron Grunn, author of Thief, brings us right into the storyline as we meet Coral she is beginning a robbery. She and her father are Robin Hoods of sorts. They seek to right some wrongs in the world by restoring ancient artifacts back to rightful families. To do so they have to steal from wealthy people who have a lot of power. These people have either stolen or gained these artifacts by unlawful or immoral means. The last artifact stolen brings on the wrath of a wealthy Texan.
Grunn has a good idea for the book and parts of it play out well. It was interesting enough I read it all in one sitting just to see how it would end. It did however have some problem area. The Coral we are introduced to in the first chapter seemed to be a mature woman. Later she seemed to be an insecure, flighty adolescent. It was difficult to see these as the same person. Especially in the end when the last heist was done. Would she seriously allow 25 people in on this when she was running from a hired killer?
I did like that Grunn brought in agencies and individuals from different countries and different walks of life giving us a look at different worldviews. It was good to see Matt, the Limo Driver and Coral - although they did not know each other - were of the same mindset and willing to take risk to help others instead of only seeking gain for themselves.
Grunn developed several characters/settings/subplots and intertwined all these with fluid motion. These read well and kept my interest. There were times however, when some of the material itself needed to move faster.
I would read another Grunn book. I think he has good ideas and perhaps this one just didn't get quite the attention to detail it needed.
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Books4Nana | Apr 19, 2014 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Aaron Grunn's book Thief was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,005,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible