No Time Like the Past by Greg Cox

Star Trek novels are like big bowls of chocolates. ( )
  jefware | Oct 25, 2016 |
Better than Greg Cox's other TOS novel, The Weight of Worlds, certainly, but the author's understanding of the original series characters is still sadly lacking. Kirk remains a caricature of Shatner's creation - more the reckless maverick with an eye for the ladieees from the Abrams films - and the rest of the regular crew are made up of catchphrases and references to past episodes. Cox even repeats his 'joke' of having Kirk call someone on using one of Scotty's lines about the engines! For the record, Captain Kirk is not a ladies' man - he flirts with everyone, irrespective of gender. Spock, Bones, twentieth century pilots, Abraham Lincoln...

The crossover plot raises this story above Cox's previous attempt for me, because Voyager always reminded a lot of the original series, in that the crew were more of a family. And out of the VOY cast, Seven was one of my favourites - luckily, Neelix, Tuvok and Janeway, who accompany her on the start of her adventure, are knocked out of the action early on. (I can't stand Neelix.) So, great choice of character to do the crossing over, and an intriguing 'puzzle' for Seven and the TOS crew to piece together. Bonus points for having a gigantic stone monument dedicated to Kirk on Gamma Trianguli!

Other original source material 'borrowed' for the story includes Let That Be Your Last Battlefield and All Our Yesterdays, not to mention A.C. Crispin's novelisations based on that season three episode. I would advise Mr Cox to familiarise himself with the actual series before incorporating the fevered headcanon of other fan fiction authors, but hey ho. The City on the Edge of Forever - 'Edith!' - and Harry Mudd are also referenced.

Any fans wishing to read a Voyager novel with parodied references to the 'primitive' Enterprise and her cliched crew will find this an entertaining mashup, but TOS devotees like myself might be left wanting when it comes to favourite characters. ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Mar 6, 2014 |
To my dad, for letting me stay up past my bedtime to watch Star Trek on is original run.
Captain's Log. Stardate 6122.5
The Enterprise is taking part in a diplomatic mission to the planet Yusub, which has been providing safe havens for Orion pirates interfering with trade and exploration in this sector of the Alpha Quadrant.

Stardate 6122.5. A diplomatic mission to the planet Yusub erupts in violence when ruthless Orion raiders attempt to disrupt the crucial negotiations by force. Caught in the midst of a tense and dangerous situation, Captain James T. Kirk of the U.S.S. Enterprise finds an unexpected ally in the form of an enigmatic stranger who calls herself "Annika Seven.--from back cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,062,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible