A Hundred Pieces of Me by Lucy Dillon

A Hundred Pieces of Me

by Lucy Dillon

English (7)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All (9)
It's contemporary fiction, not the sort of thing I usually read. Very well done. It's a great book about life and relationships. Probably the kind of thing you'd expect to see make it on one of Oprah's lists back in the day or in book clubs. In fact, the back of the book has one of those annoying little "what does blah blah 'main character do here' book club/literature class question discussion list pages.

Schlyne | Nov 12, 2015 |
Gina Bellamy is a very sympathetic character. I felt like the world had turned its back on her. I wanted to tell her, stop the world and get off now. There are three significant relationships in Gina's life. All three center around men. The first one is with Kit. The second one is with Stuart. The third one is with her stepfather, Terry. There is a snag in each of these relationships. Gina and Kit's time together comes to a tragic ending. An ending that would leave her feeling guilty for a long time. Gina's marriage to Stuart ends because he is a complete jerk. He begins to date a woman much younger than himself. Then, decides he no longer wants Gina. He wants a divorce. For him, all that matters is the property they shared together. Terry, Gina's wonderful stepfather dies at the wrong time. All of these problems and more leave Gina feeling a deep vulnerability. While she continues to consult about the restoration of houses, her life slowly begins to gather itself together again like laundry would magically fold itself.

Gina in A Hundred Pieces of Me by Lucy Dillon is a character who gives and gives and keeps giving. There are life lessons throughout the novel. For example, love is more important than who gets the guitar jacket. Life is also about living in the now and not over in tomorrow. It is also about the need for closure. In order to restart her life again, Gina must learn about her father's character. Her mother never talks about him. Gina must also come to grips with the fact that she does not know her mother. So wife and daughter constantly get in to emotional squabbles. Fox example, Gina's mother is still singing Kit's praises, but Gina has moved on and married Stuart. Frustration.

Thank goodness for Naomi, a best friend, and Buzz, the Greyhound who needs a home.It seems life is about feeling thankful for the people and pets who help restore fractured lives. Little did Gina know as she kept giving away one hundred pieces of herself to Rachel's charity store, she was getting something back in return. Her life's healing had begun. Forgiveness had come ashore. She just didn't know it.

My most favorite part of the novel is her special relationship with Nick. He works on the Magistrate house with her. Their romance is very subtle and exciting. Gina's faulty situation with Stuart makes Nick look at his relationship with Amanda, his wife. Now, there are more changes on the horizon. Change rumbles into Gina's life like an old truck. Finally, the old truck crosses a smooth, new road, and it steadies itself. People like Gina, and Greyhounds like Buzz can relax. The struggle is over for a while. All they have to do is keep walking through life no matter how many blind corners appear. Of course, they can never give up on one another. At the end of the tunnel, there will be light every time.

I will always remember the witch ball. There is a written description and a photo of the witch ball above and below.https://www.facebook.com/LucyDillonBooks Thanks to Berkley for giving a review book.

Witch-ball - a green Victorian witch-ball on along brass chain, for hanging in a hallway to lure and trap any lurking evil spirits. Photo above from Yahoo. ( )
  Tea58 | Jan 30, 2015 |
A Hundred Pieces of Meby Lucy Dillon is a bittersweet and inspiring story of loss and love, forgiveness and finding what is important in life; a compelling tale of starting over and self-discovery.

Gina Bellamy has been through many struggles in her life, she now finds herself on her own and single, starting over from scratch in a tiny apartment and decides she will only keep a hundred of important things a hundred pieces of herself.

While many of us have been down similar roads in our lives, sometimes losing our personal items, creates a sense of freedom from stuff. It forces us to reflect on things which are of importance. You surround yourself with what really brings joy and happiness. (Less is More). It also means Gina needs to come to terms with her past and learn to embrace her future, even though it holds uncertainty.

Gina’s life is a journey, as she sorts out her belongings one box at a time. She is a strong and inspirational woman, who has overcome many obstacles to get to this point. The story follows Gina, a divorcee and cancer survivor trying to rebuild her life after her marriage falls apart and she's forced to rebuild.

From the gripping front cover of this precious dog, to the well-written chapters which start with an event from Gina’s past and fast forward to the present day, as readers get an idea of how her life has shaped and changed from the person she was.

Lucy Dillon is quite the storyteller, seamlessly weaving past and present, creating realistic characters for beautiful novel of hope. Written for all women, A Hundred Pieces of Me will grab you and pull you into this world of change and reflection-- for a thought-provoking read.

I loved Buzz, the rescue greyhound Gina acquires, as was heartwarming (as well as a great cover shot)! A lesson for us all – A reflection. We need to learn to live more for the moment, as we never know what is around the corner, as I am finding with my parent’s cancer diagnosis this past year.

Highly recommend this uplifting book, and look forward to reading more from this talented author!
  JudithDCollins | Nov 26, 2014 |
When my grandmother started moving into progressively smaller places, she had to decide what was most important for her to keep. She chose the things that mattered the most to her, that said something about who she was and the life she'd lived. As I look around my own house, I wonder what I'd let go first, what second, and what I would hold onto as forever meaningful to me, even if it looked insignificant to someone else. This letting go and moving on with only that which is meaningful is the premise of Lucy Dillon's newest novel, A Hundred Pieces of Me.

Gina finished treatment for her breast cancer with her stalwart husband beside her. Then the two of them renovated a beautiful historic home and Gina started her own preservation business helping others to jump through all of the many and confusing hoops that the conservation folks require. Somewhere in there though, something in their marriage went sadly awry and Gina discovers that her heretofore steady husband Stuart has been having an affair. In divorcing, Stuart leaves almost all of their possessions with Gina, who is moving into a small, modern flat that is her clean slate. Taking a page out of a book her best friend Naomi gave her, Gina determines to weed things out of her life, keeping only the one hundred most important things, starting over unburdened.

Initially Gina is overwhelmed by all of her possessions and as she unpacks certain pieces conjure up memories for her. But she must purge and she even starts to take great joy in lightening herself up. The things she chooses to keep are varied and interesting in their very pedestrian nature. It is in the midst of letting go of so many of her things that she comes to acquire Buzz, an abandoned greyhound who is as fragile and in need of a new life as Gina herself is. While Gina is building that new life, she also takes on a large, time-consuming project, shepherding a dilapidated but once gracious listed home through renovations for a gorgeous and kind photographer and his high powered wife to use as a weekend getaway from London.

The novel's narrative moves back and forth in time, slowly revealing Gina's past and the tragedy in it for which she still blames herself and then unspooling her present and the ways in which she is growing and coming to embrace life and goodness. Chapters are headed with the description of an object from Gina's boxes. Each thing she uncovers adds to her past story, that of a young Gina newly in love with first boyfriend Kit, of the Gina who wanted to know more about her father, of the Gina who lived with her difficult mother and her low-key but loving step-father, and of the Gina who married Stuart, before returning to the present and moving forward in the new life she's slowly building for herself.

The story is a charming one, thought-provoking, and full of emotion. As Gina lets go of the past, the reader too must think about how you determine what to hold onto and what to let go. The overarching theme of focusing on what is important in life, in possessions, people, and moments, is well-illustrated and threads throughout Gina's story. Gina learns, with help, to live in the moment rather than collecting it through things and to search out and find those moments that bring her joy. The characters are generally appealing, especially Gina, Nick, and Naomi, the major characters. Even Stuart is not a complete villain although Gina does come to forgive him rather easily. Some of the plot twists are a bit predictable and the ending is fairly unresolved. The conceit of Gina keeping only one hundred things is dropped fairly early on. And although Gina acknowledges that she has stopped keeping this up, it is still a shame that it wasn't carried through. The idea of a wall of Polaroid photos of the things that bring her joy, which replaces the one hundred things she's keeping, is a nice one but, on the whole, not quite as intriguing. Over all though, this is a lovely women's fiction novel, one that reminds us of the way life can change on a dime and that we are not defined by our things but by the way we live our lives and our memories and moments instead. ( )
  whitreidtan | Sep 7, 2014 |
Every once in a while I need a break from my typical reading of serial killers. So I decided to check out this book. While it was not bad it was just not as light hearted as I thought or hoped it would be. It was kind of sad in a depressing way. So unless you are in the right mood to read this type of book you might want to hold off until than. While I liked Gina. I liked the Gina of the present and not the past. It was the past that I found that I really disliked. It was the sad parts. Thus part of the reason that I liked the present. The other reason was that I found the "new" Gina to be more independent and I formed a better connection with her. However as much as I liked Gina and did skip parts midway of the past, this story still did not draw me in fully and I felt the story to be dry and slow moving. I just did not feel the magic happen. ( )
  Cherylk | Aug 30, 2014 |

"Reeling from her recent divorce, Gina Bellamy suddenly finds herself figuring out how to live on her own. Determined to make a fresh start--with her beloved rescued greyhound by her side--Gina knows drastic measures are in order. First up: throwing away all her possessions except for the one hundred things that mean the most to her. But what items are worth saving? Letters from the only man she's ever loved? A keepsake of the father she never knew? Or a blue glass vase that perfectly captures the light? As she lets go of the past, Gina begins to come to terms with what has happened in her life and discovers that seizing the day is sometimes the only thing to do. And when one decides to do just that...magic happens"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,425,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible