The Beast by Jaden Wilkes

The Beast

by Jaden Wilkes

631,268,033 (3.7)None

Rating: 4.5

Note: HEED the warning in the book blurb! This story contained elements of choking, violence and mentions of rape.

The author stated that this story wasn’t a fairy tale, however I found aspects of it to be just that. A dark, twisted, fairy tale that only made sense to the protagonists. Dimitri was barely twelve years old when he killed his father for passing him off to friends to be sexually abused. Living on the streets in Russia had been a test in survival. Then he was caught pickpocketing by the man who would eventually become his father figure, mentor and employer. At fourteen, aid man had brought him a whore to make a man out of him. Dimitri climbed his way up in the feared crime organization earning him the name The Enforcer. He was deadly and ruthless. Then one day it all changed. Every couple of years he was on the move, secluding himself in a penthouse as secure as Fort Knox. None of his staff were allowed to see him, but a few caught glimpses here and there and soon the rumors began. The Enforcer had become The Beast. He dedicated every day to staying ahead of the man who had tried to kill him. Thoughts of revenge and violence filled his every thought. When he caught Columbia Grey trying to sneak into his apartment, he came to one conclusion for her presence – his past had finally caught up with him and she was there to kill him. But not if he killed her first.

This story gripped me from the first page. Getting the run down of Dimitri’s past gave me a very clear picture of the man he had become – hurt, betrayed, angry, violent. I shouldn’t have felt sympathy for him, but I did. For all the outward ugliness, and buried beneath the lethal anger was still something to humanize him. When Columbia showed up, there were some scenes that weren’t comfortable to read. He was violent with her until he could convince himself of her innocence. I didn’t get the feeling that the author was just trying to make his acts heinous for shock value.(view spoiler) He was true to character, falling back on his time in the Bratva.

For an eighteen year old, Columbia was a strong female character. That is something I wasn’t expecting, but I was pleasantly surprised at the show of backbone. She wasn’t a stranger to pain, self-loathing or even scars.

She would not let him find out she was a nothing, easy to kill and dispose of. She would not let him know how unimportant she was.

She had her own demons, and somewhere along the way, she and Dimitri found a common ground. I loved the change from one end of the spectrum to the other, even if it moved very quickly. Their brand of love-making wasn’t gentle. Each encounter was intense, a blend of pleasure and pain. While he was used to it, it was cathartic for Columbia. She found strength to stand up for herself, and he found his heart.

Of course there came the time when she had to be set free to face her demons, and while it was predictable, I really liked that Dimitri gave her the truth and not some bullsh*t to drive her away. He was very protective of her, and she of him which I found endearing. The ending was a little surprising, unconventional even, but it was perfect for them.

The Bottom Line

This story is not for the faint of heart. It’s gritty, it’s raw, and it’s uncomfortable. The story was fast paced, but I really enjoyed their journey on the dark side. I’ll be keeping an eye on this author because something about the way she tells a dark story just keeps me riveted.

Disclaimer: Complimentary copy provided by author/publisher for an honest review. The views and opinions expressed in this review are my own, and in no way represent the views or opinions of the publisher/distributor. ( )
  MsRomanticReads | Jan 22, 2016 |
Began very, very well, but then moved too quickly in terms of His and her relationship. In my mind, I wish they could have had at least a week of time together.... maybe Eden could have been safe from the parental units during a Spring Break spent with her friend's family. Then, He and she could have had an intense beginning with heart-to-hearts that still would have been fast for a relationship, but somewhat more believable of a book of fiction.

The book was okay and based on it, I would be interested in reading more by Ms Wilkes. ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
Love this author! Another great read. ( )
  Debbie97462 | Jul 16, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,888,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible