Lesson Plans by Suzanne Greenberg

Lesson Plans

by Suzanne Greenberg

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was very excited to receive an early reviewer copy of Lesson Plans. However, once I started reading, I found this book difficult to complete. Unfortunately the characters and the storyline just did not hold my interest. ( )
  AnnieMNH | Jan 28, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked it! I liked the story. I'm not sure if I really got it but I know people and situations similar to the ones in the book with the overriding thing being that we are all sort of self absorbed and not paying a lot of attention to what's going on. It seems outrageous but I can see the mom who works just having it suddenly hit her that her family has gotten out of control. She just really didn't have time or even want to see what was happening. I can see the neighbor situations. I have seen things like that happen. I know what it's like when a father and ex-husband becomes so distracted by a new affair that he completely loses focus on his own life and children. I can see the mom who is overwhelmed by the needs of a child with lots of allergy issues and how some things just fall through the cracks no matter how hard you try. And I have seen people homeschool for good reasons and self centered reasons. Somehow the kids usually come out okay either way which is amazing and exactly the same odds when you send them to school. But mostly, it was just a good story. Thank you to Library Thing Early Reviewers for a chance to read this book. ( )
  lisa875 | Sep 26, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was really excited to get Lesson Plans since I do home school my youngest son. It wast really what I had hoped it would be. I was disappointed.
  WKinsey | Sep 25, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Lesson Plans is a novel about three families who homeschool their children,but it is not a story about homeschooling. As a matter of fact, homeschooling is just the common denominator that brings the families together and serves as a backdrop. My impression of Lesson Plans is that it was written with the hope of being made into a movie. It read like a movie, jumping from one scene to the next, leaving the reader to fill in the gaps.It lacked character development and I never quite grasped what motivated each character. I gave it three stars because I think it could be a movie which is what I felt the author was striving for initially. ( )
  JoanieS | Sep 8, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was especially interested in this book because I am thinking of homeschooling my kids, so I was hoping to get a glimpse into how it could be, however fictional. But I felt like it was too fictional. It seemed very much like a story - which sometimes I appreciate - but this time it just struck me wrong. Perhaps because I was hoping it wouldn't be like that.
I also didn't really care about the characters. So that certainly made me less invested in the book.
It was interesting to have the story carry on from different perspectives that sometimes miss each other and sometimes meet up.
Overall, an ok book, but not one I would ever go back to. ( )
  emily.ann | Sep 6, 2014 |
When his four-year-old, Katie, rammed a piece of chicken wire into her finger one hot October afternoon as they finished their snail fences, David called Madeline and Emily over and let them take turns wrapping the wound.

"Lesson Plans is a captivating and funny novel centered on the lives of three families, each of which has chosen to homeschool for a different reason. Suzanne Greenberg weaves her tale through the perspective of four characters: Patterson, a Christian surfer; David, an empathetic liberal stay-at-home dad who feels stuck in suburbia; Beth, a full-time mom at loose ends; and Beth's six-year-old daughter, Jennifer. As their stories progress and their lives intertwine, each family's challenges loom larger. In a highly entertaining way, Lesson Plans takes a serious look at the choices parents profess to make on behalf of their children.Suzanne Greenberg is a professor of English and creative writing at California State University Long Beach. Her fiction, poetry, and essays have appeared in numerous journals, including the Mississippi Review, West Branch, and the Washington Post Magazine. Her collection of short stories, Speed-Walk and Other Stories, was the recipient of the 2003 Drue Heinz Literature Prize. She is the co-author of Everyday Creative Writing: Panning for Gold in the Kitchen Sink and co-author of the children's novels Abigail Iris: The One and Only, and Abigail Iris: The Pet Project. She received her BA from Hampshire College and her MFA from the University of Maryland. She lives in Long Beach, California, with her husband and three children. "--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Suzanne Greenberg's book Lesson Plans was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,457,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible