Transformed by E.V. Fairfall

Transformed

by E.V. Fairfall

Man, I hate leaving reviews like this. I really couldn't get into this book. I didn't like the way the characters were described, the story line, etc. I am at about 30% into the book and just cannot make myself continue reading. I gave this book 2 stars as those that are really young adults will probably like this book due to the ways it is written. As a mature adult (who has studied multiple religions, beliefs, mythos, etc.) its just too juvenile for me- in more ways than one.

* Received a digital copy from author in exchange for review ( )
  llyramoon | Feb 28, 2016 |
I was drawn to this book by the pretty cover and the unique ideas it explored. There aren’t too tales out there where goddess’ take human form and experience all that entrails for the first time. The author gives us an original tale of discovery and detailing what it really means to be human. However, there were a few bumps along the way keeping this book from greatness, though I seem to be among the few of that opinion gathering by other reviews.

I liked some of the intriguing ideas explored in the book, too. The different magical elements, the concept of life as light, and the origin story are just some of the examples I can point to as highlights of the uniqueness of this story. And the author tells a great story filled with all the elements thereof: high emotional content, underlying themes, and dramatic storytelling. The author pleases there.

I also liked the author’s gift for scene-setting. Her descriptions are lush without merging into over description much. I could visualize each setting with vivid color, feel every breeze on my cheek, and breathe in the scents of Mother Earth.

I’m a bit ambivalent on Thea’s character. I liked her enough to sympathize with her most of the way through her trials and triumphs, her loves and tragedies. I liked her perseverance and very human qualities she developed over time. Yet, there were times she read as too innocent. Nature is full of death and tragedy; she should have been exposed to them all the time. Her attitude was a romantic view of nature that I found unrealistic.

This next bit I might be over-reading-into; it might not be what the author was intending at all. Yet, I found the whole view of hunters “murdering” her creations as absurd and just full of propaganda from sources like PETA. I felt like I was getting slapped over the head by this extreme-left interpretation of environmentalism and their politics. So again. May not be what the author intended but that’s how I read it.

I’d give this book a solid three. It had some interesting story ideas and elements that went along with superb scene-setting skills. The main character wasn’t a bad gal, just too innocent and romantic at times to be believable. The politics I could have done without. But then again, take everything I say with a grain of salt. I might reading more into it than was really present. Check it out if you’re looking for a romantic, uniquely supernatural read as it will please on those counts.

Note: Book received for free from the author in exchange for an honest review. ( )
1 vote Sarah_Gruwell | Jan 14, 2016 |
See full review @ The Indigo Quill

Special thanks to Xpresso Tours and Silver Stag for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

With an alluring and captivating cover, Transformed by E.V. Fairfall was definitely a pleasant surprise. In the rhythm of a fairytale, the reader follows Thea, who also happens to be Mother Earth herself, into her journey of trying to escape the strongholds of the world. However, a few things stand in the way. You guessed it, a love triangle that could potentially bring Thea to her irrevocable demise. But this book is so much more than that.

Unlike many YA books I've been reading, Transformed followed the premise of how the Earth came into existence through the eyes of Creationism. The beauty in Fairfall's approach is that she isn't shoving the author's views down your throat, and she isn't attacking another worldview. What I mean by this is that several books I've been reading lately have ruined the consistency of the story by throwing in the author's opinion on hot topics while bashing another view. It no longer feels like part of the story (rather, the author just using the opportunity to preach at the reader) and it makes me enjoy the book less because it almost makes me feel like I or people I know of certain worldviews are being attacked. It's incredibly refreshing to read a real YA book that stays consistent with the story and keeps it just that, storytelling.

The story itself is intriguing and unique. Although cheesy at times, I very much enjoyed reading this book. The reader becomes attached to the character of Thea and wants her to fulfill her purpose. As for Brice, I know a lot of people hated his part of the story, but I think an author's ability to write dynamic characters that pull emotions out of readers, good or bad, is a form of art in itself (think Dolores Umbridge in Harry Potter). I love to hate certain characters! I applaud Fairfall for her masterwork.

You will enjoy Transformed if you are looking for a fresh perspective in the Paranormal YA genre. It's a very light read, but it's definitely an enjoyable book if you don't mind reading about another love triangle! ( )
  TheIndigoQuill | Nov 7, 2015 |
a lovely moving story about how god created Mother Earth and what happens when she discovers her human form and finds her soul mate. ( )
  epweil | Jul 16, 2015 |
Many, many years ago two beings of light crash landed on the Earth, destroying everything. The Earth gave them a new form and they set to work re-creating everything that had been destroyed. After millions of years, the humans they created know them as God and Mother Earth. Mother Earth roams the world as an animal form, often being hunted and killed only to reappear in another part of the world that needs her help. After re-incarnating for several hundred years on the Willipord property, she decides that she must do something drastic to change their ways of over-hunting. Her brother, God, has forbid her from taking human form, but she decides to do just this. If she can make a WIillipord boy fall in love with her as a human and then shoot her as an animal, maybe they will change their ways.

I loved the premise of this book, Mother Earth taking a human form, named Thea, in order to change human's relationship with nature. I also liked that Thea did not know much of being human or human emotions. It was very different getting to read about someone experiencing jealously, shame, and love for the first time. Also, Thea's brother, God was painted in a very different light. At the mention of God, I thought this book might have some overly religious tones and themes. However, this God is secretive and deceitful, especially with Thea. For me, this secret was where the book picked up. The plot moved a little slowly in the middle as Thea vied for the attention of the Willipord boy, Brice, that she originally chose to have fall in love with her and his cousin, Chambers. Of course there is a love triangle. Brice is rude and untrustworthy, but Thea decides to stick to her plan of seducing him even though she has had actual feeling for Chambers, who is sweet, helpful and trustworthy. So, even though it takes a while to get to the drama and make the change that Thea wanted originally, Transformed offered an original plot with some unexpected twists and a big love triangle in the middle.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review. ( )
  Mishker | Nov 26, 2014 |

Since the beginning, two entities have had complete, unquestioned control over Thea: the Earth and God.

But when Thea suddenly figures out that the Earth has trapped her within a forest, she discovers that the only way to set herself free is to break God's one rule; she must forsake her animal form and become human.

The result is nothing she could ever have expected. Lost within the torrent of human emotions, Thea starts to lose who she is and even begins to fall in love with the one thing she always hated: a hunter.

As her act against God proves more problematic than anticipated, it is only a matter of time before her punishment may prove to be worse than Earth's entrapment.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:27 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,454,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible