On Grace by Susie Orman Schnall

This light read by Schnall is about family, midlife, and things not turning out as planned. This would be a great poolside summer read.
  elizabeth.b.bevins | Nov 4, 2014 |
Grace is a politely frustrated woman with many emotional layers. I'll start off with the good:

I LOVE the cover. Contemplating in a hot bath is such a "woman's thing."

I liked the parallel of her bestie Cameron---the fact that she really wants a child, and the fact that Grace already has 2 kids. It was something for Grace to be grateful for. The last line in the book was fabulous. No spoiler, I'm trying to give you a reason to finish the entire read and come to a conclusion of this novel on your own.

However....I personally, wanted to stop reading when:
Grace asked her husband if he was behaving himself on his business trip. I wanted to shake her and demand that she show more of that, show more emotion. This chick needed to release the anger that was expanding, festering inside of her like the helium in a balloon.

Reading On Grace was kind of like really, really, really, wanting tasty hot soup, waiting for the pot to boil. But then, the pilot goes out. Only you don't have a match, or a lighter, or two sticks to rub together. The book really did have the potential to be great, but the main characters lacked depth with a plot line with side characters who proved to be more interesting. Sorry folks, but On Grace was just OFF the mark for me. ( )
  Madithe1brown | May 23, 2014 |
Have you ever wondered how you would handle a significant other's betrayal. Would you be forgiving in a situation like this?? Grace is approaching her 40th birthday, her children are both in school now and she is ready to go back into the work force. Everything is near perfect in Grace's world until her husband gives her some devastating news. She is not sure if she can ever forgive him. A series of events bring her full circle so that she knows that she needs to learn to let go and move forward with grace.

I found this book to be very well written, full of emotion, humor, sadness and of course grace. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The book takes the reader through the love of children, infidelities, past loves, family issues and disappointments that make up a life. Written with compassion and forgiveness, this is a novel not to be missed. ( )
  celticlady53 | Apr 29, 2014 |
A purely honest story that many mothers, wives and women can relate to. I was instantly, I mean instantly drawn in. A crazy deja vu feeling and OMG do I feel your pain, happiness, frustration and so many more emotions because I felt like this story could be my own. The author bonds easily with the reader and just like that a literary friendship is made. A straight forward style of writing that is easy flowing and entertaining. My favorite chick lit book that I have read so far this year and I look forward to reading more from this author.

5 stars

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Feb 28, 2014 |

But when Grace loses her job and gets unexpected news from her husband and her best friend, life suddenly gets complicated. Grace stands to lose everything: her marriage, her best friend, and her sense of self. By her 40th birthday party, Grace will realize who and what matter most. With laughter. With tears. With grace.

ON GRACE embraces themes that will resonate with women who own at least one pair of Spanx: fidelity, friendship, and finding oneself at 40. Readers love ON GRACE because it's soulful and sweet, sexy and sad, straight up and smart, and, ultimately, quite satisfying.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:44 -0400)

"Grace May is truly excited about turning 40 in a few months. And now that her boys are both in school and she has a stimulating new writing job, the next chapter in her life can finally begin. She can't wait to rediscover the intelligent and interesting woman deeply buried under the layers of mother and wife. But when Grace loses her job and gets unexpected news from her husband and her best friend, life suddenly gets complicated. Grace stands to lose everything: her marriage, her best friend, and her sense of self. By her 40th birthday party, Grace will realize who and what matter most"--Back of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible