The Low-Carb Fraud by T. Colin Campbell

The Low-Carb Fraud

by T. Colin Campbell

202515,329 (3.14)None

Could be more accurately titled "All of the Ways in Which Gary Taubes Sucks." Don't get me wrong, I find Taubes's works to be full of bad science and fat-shaming nonsense, but that's not why I picked up this book. In fact, I don't really know why I picked up this book, but I figured it would be an interesting read coming from the author of The China Study.

I find Campbell's arguments against "low-carb" diets to be reasonably well-stated and probably completely valid, however, I could have lived without all of the fat-shaming and "obesity epidemic" rhetoric. No study, ever, in the entire universe, has shown a way that people can permanently lose weight in a healthy manner. Losing weight, as Campbell does say in like one sentence, isn't even as important as being healthy. And people can be healthy at any weight. I highly dislike how that fact always seems to get lost in books about eating well.

All in all, this is a quick read and sort of seems like a little brochure encouraging the reader to pick up copies of Campbell's other books. Not bad if you have an hour or so to kill, but not necessarily highly recommended. ( )
  lemontwist | Dec 11, 2014 |
Eating a healthy diet has always been a challenge, but recently, it's been difficult to even know what is a healthy diet. Eat more meat. No, don't eat meat, eat less fat. Potatoes and pasta are good. No, they're bad. And now we know that our old standby, the food pyramid, was influenced by the meat and dairy industry. So what should we be eating?

One of the more popular diet trends these days is the Paleo Diet, which is really an updated high-protein, low-carb diet, with the majority of calories coming from animal protein. People swear by it, and I can see the rationale that our bodies haven't evolved that much since we lived in caves. But, did cave men have long disease-free lives? I find it hard to believe that eating so much beef and bacon can possibly be good for our hearts or guarantee a cancer-free existence. T. Colin Campbell does a good job of debunking many of the 'facts' behind the science of why these low-carb diets are good for you. What I found most compelling is that each of these fad diets has a HUGE business behind it. The weight loss industry is over $20 billion and everyone wants a slice of that pie.

Although listening to this book, did not completely answer my question of what is a healthy diet, it is essential that we educate ourselves on the science and politics of nutrition today. This book is a great place to start.

Overall I found this audiobook to be concise, very understandable, a good mix of science and practical application, and easy to listen to with a strong narration by Don Hagen. My one regret is that this book is very specific and really only answers the question of why the low-carb diets look appealing but are really harmful, and barely touches on the bigger issue of what we should be eating and why. But I see that Campbell has another book out Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition. Definitely adding that to my listening list! ( )
  jmoncton | Mar 9, 2014 |

Argues that low-carbohydrate diets are incorrect in their demonization of all carbohydrates and provides an optimal human diet for ideal weight, vibrant health, and longevity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,415,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible