Bliss House: A Novel by Laura Benedict

Bliss House: A Novel

by Laura Benedict

I read Charlotte's Story a little while ago and was so enthralled by that book that I immediately bought this book; the first book in the trilogy. Charlotte's Story took place in the 50s and this book story takes place in present time and that means that some, not many, characters from Charlotte's Story are in this book. I also know that the Bliss House, and that the men from the Bliss house aren't really to trust.

In this book, we get to follow Rainey Bliss Adams and her daughter Ariel that have moved to the house after Rainey bought it back to the Bliss family after it's been sold by Charlotte Bliss after her son Michael disappeared around 30 years before. Rainey hopes that this will be good for her and Ariel. They need a new start after losing Ariel's father to a fire that also disfigured Ariel. But they hardly settle in the house before the first person dies and then it's just a matter of time before the next one dies...

I really like the haunted house genre, and the Bliss House is really creepy. I'm mean the house isn't creepy to look at, it's lovely, it's just got an atmosphere that is creepy and it has its fair share of mysterious deaths. Like the previous owner who killed his wife with an ax in the woods outside the house. But, a house can not be evil, can it?

Laura Benedict has written a book that is hard to put down when you really get into the story and is both engaging and disturbing to read and I thought I had most of it all figured out when she turned the table on me with a very good twist. I was not really surprised about some of the things that happened, and that's thanks to reading Charlotte's Story before I read this one. That gave me an advantage since I had my suspicions on some people in this book.

One thing, I was a bit annoyed towards the end when Ariel did something really stupid, I mean I understand her to a certain limit, but at the same time, I was really irritated because I didn't think that she would, after all, she had been through before would do that. But then again it leads to a very fitting ending for the Bliss House.

All and all a truly good book. What I really like is that it doesn't rush anything, everything takes it times, that can be a bit frustrating sometimes, but the reward is a well-written book.

4.5 stars ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
What a fabulous book! I loved everything about it. The setting, characters...the House! Last time I fell in love with a house like this was Anne Rice's The Witching Hour. Highly recommended! ( )
  BranC | Mar 31, 2016 |
Average small town/haunted house mystery that falls short of going to the next level. Serviceable fluff read, but could have been so much more with additional character development within the family. ( )
  sparemethecensor | Feb 29, 2016 |

In this book, we get to follow Rainey Bliss Adams and her daughter Ariel that have moved to the house after Rainey bought it back to the Bliss family after it's been sold by Charlotte Bliss after her son Michael disappeared around 30 years before. Rainey hopes that this will be good for her and Ariel. They need a new start after losing Ariels father to a fire that also disfigured Ariel. But they hardly settle in the house before the first person dies and then it's just a matter of time before the next one dies...

One thing, I was a bit annoyed towards the end when Ariel did something really stupid, I mean I understand her to a certain limit, but at the same time I was really irritated because I didn't think that she would after all she had been through before would do that. But then again it leads to a very fitting ending for the Bliss House.

4.5 stars ( )
  | Feb 9, 2016 | edit |
Rainey and her daughter move to Bliss house after an accident that takes the life of Ariel's father and seriously scars her. Not long after they move in strange things occur that seem to be related to the former occupants of the house. I read through the first two hundred pages like lightning. I was engrossed by both the present day story and the one that was taking place in the past. Somewhere in the middle the plot started dragging and I just lost interest in it. A haunted house book is usually my favorite kind but I lost my reading momentum and it was like slogging through mud to get through the last two hundred pages. The characters actions started straining credulity and I lost interest in the plot. ( )
  arielfl | Aug 22, 2014 |

Amidst the lush farmland and orchards in Old Gate, Virginia, stands the magnificent Bliss House. Built in 1878 as a country retreat, Bliss House is impressive, historic, and inexplicably mysterious. Decades of strange occurrences, disappearances and deaths have plagued the house, yet it remains vibrant. And very much alive. Rainey Bliss Adams desperately needed a new start when she and her daughter Ariel relocated from St. Louis to Old Gate and settled into the house where the Bliss family had lived for over a century. Rainey{u2019}s husband had been killed in a freak explosion that left her 14 year-old daughter Ariel scarred and disfigured. At the grand housewarming party, Bliss House begins to reveal itself again. Ariel sees haunting visions: the ghost of her father, and the ghost of a woman being pushed to her death off of an upper floor balcony, beneath an exquisite dome of painted stars. And then there is a death the night of the party. Who is the murderer in the midst of this small town? And who killed the woman in Ariel's visions? But Bliss House is loath to reveal its secrets, as are the good folks of Old Gate.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,990,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible