Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie

Ancillary Sword

by Ann Leckie

Series: Imperial Radch (2)

1,198896,687 (4.04)1 / 130

English (87)  French (1)  All (1)  All (89)
This was a great book, brilliant and filled with ideas. It was not, however, a quick or easy read. It, like the first book in the trilogy, Ancillary Justice, is very subtle, at times almost too subtle. Everything is innuendo. You have to pay attention when reading, and be very patient. Things are mostly revealed, but I at least often felt like I had missed something, when in fact, it just hadn't been revealed yet. Breq is a wonderful character, kind and good and always concerned with what is truly just. This keeps these books from being your standard space opera that's all about intricate politics, although the politics here are as intricate as any. It's just that the politics are not everything, nor really even the main point, although they seem to be at first glance. ( )
  vanderschloot | Jul 27, 2017 |
It's unusual for me to be caught up in a book. I'd guess it's because I've read so many, and there's really only so many ways to say something, at least for most of the authors out there. Every once in a rare while, someone comes along and startles me. Leckie has done so, twice, now. I'm looking forward to reading the last book in the trilogy. ( )
1 vote Lyndatrue | May 2, 2017 |
I may be an exception, but this book isn't even close to as good as Ancillary Justice. The writing is still terrific, the characterization is pretty good, it just seemed smaller somehow. Less significant.

I kept wondering as I read it, how is this story moving the plot introduced In Ancillary Justice? It's a nice story, just not a significant story.

Nevertheless, I still enjoyed reading it, and will definitely look for the third book, just a wee bit disappointed. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
Unusual and really interesting. Compelling despite being far less plot-y than most spec fic. The pronoun thing does strange things to my brain and I'm glad of it. ( )
  sinceyouasked | Mar 17, 2017 |
This science fiction work is volume two of the author’s Imperial Radch trilogy. If you have not read the first installment, a Hugo and Nebula Award winner (among others), Ancillary Justice, do not try to start with this one.

This story resumes immediately following the outbreak of civil war between various factions of the Radch Emperor, Anaander Mianaai. Breq, the humanoid artificial intelligence who is the narrator of the story is given command of a Sword class military vessel and sent to a nearby space station/planetary system to protect against an expected military incursion.

There is no need to provide background; if you read the first book of the trilogy, you are familiar with the landscape. There is not much resolution here, just a continuance of the narrative, setting up for the final installment of the trilogy, Ancillary Justice. Nevertheless, there is plenty of action to keep the reader interested and ultimately satisfied. ( )
  santhony | Mar 10, 2017 |

Ann Leckieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andoh, AdjoaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Considering the circumstances, you could use another lieutenant."
Sequel to Ancillary Justice

Ms. Lord of the Radch
Divided herself. Trust her?
Neither one, thinks Breq.
(pickupsticks)

What if you once had thousands of bodies and near god-like technology at your disposal?

And what if all of it were ripped away?

The Lord of the Radch has given Breq command of the ship Mercy of Kalr and sent her to the only place she would have agreed to go -- to Athoek Station, where Lieutenant Awn's sister works in Horticulture.

Athoek was annexed some six hundred years ago, and by now everyone is fully civilized -- or should be. But everything is not as tranquil as it appears. Old divisions are still troublesome, Athoek Station's AI is unhappy with the situation, and it looks like the alien Presger might have taken an interest in what's going on. With no guarantees that interest is benevolent.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:35 -0400)

Ann Leckie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,938,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible