The Ransom: Legacy of the King's…

The Ransom: Legacy of the King's Pirates

by Marylu Tyndall

205515,329 (4.3)None

It's Jamaica, 1692. Juliana Dutton is a young woman carrying the world upon her shoulders. When her father falls ill, she cares for him while secretly trying to keep their family shipping business running smoothly in his absents. Her wayward brother, helping the orphans and caring for a sick friend are taking a toll on Juliana. A naval officer her father knows would like to court Juliana but he's becoming to curious about why her fathers not around. Lord Munthrope, a rather unusual man, offers her a staged betrothal to get the man off her back, which she reluctantly accepts. The Pirate Earl (Alex Hyde) is a man men fear. He's got most things a man could want but he doesn't have the one thing he craves; Juliana. He has loved her from afar for years but knows she would never be interested in Pirate. However, when circumstances arise that allow him to be close to Juliana as Lord Munthrope, he's takes it. All the while, protecting her as the Pirate Earl. But leading a double life can be a dangerous game. When the Naval officer discovers his double life, he sets a trap to catch him and informs Juliana that the Pirate Earl and Lord Munthrope are one and the same. Feeling hurt and betrayed she sets out to confront the awful pirate. No one could have imagined the chain of events that that would set in motion. Not only will their faith be shaken but the very ground they're standing on will tremble. What will become of not only themselves, but of Port Royal itself.

I just reviewed The Reckoning and realized I hadn't read The Ransom. Egad!!! Due to the busyness of things and to give my eyes a bit of rest, I was happy to find that this was available from Audible. I thoroughly enjoyed the narration and felt the narrator really brought the story to life. The story itself was quite the adventure. I'm not so sure I liked the character Lord Munthrope but it served Alex's purpose. The Pirate Earl was such an intriguing man. Juliana was a kind woman that life had dealt a big blow, but she handled things with such grace that you had to admire her. I appreciated the message that God never leaves us, it's we who move away, and even though we think he's far from us, he is still working everything out in the background. There is a major event at the end of the book that I found a little hard to believe, however, the author's note at the end gives the historical account and I found that so interesting. This is book 4 in the Legacy of the King's Pirates and could easily be read as a stand alone. If you're looking to escape to another place and time, take a ride on a pirate ship, smell the salty sea air and feel the wind in your face, then look no further. The Ransom has a beautiful cover that opens to a story well worth your time.

For more information about this book or other books by MaryLu Tyndall, I encourage you to visit her website at http://www.marylutyndall.com/ ( )
  love2readnovels | Jun 18, 2015 |
First off, loved the cover of this book. This is book 4 in the Legacy of the King's Pirates. It takes place in Port Royal, Jamaica in 1692, when pirates were alive and well. You will find yourself on board the pirate's ship and feel the salty breeze in your face as you try to gain your sea legs. Mary Lu Tyndall does a great job writing pirate, sea-faring adventures. As it states at the back of her book, "she makes no excuses for the deep spiritual themes embedded within her romantic adventures. Her hope is that readers will not only be entertained but will be brought closer to the Creator who loves them beyond measure." And to that I heartily agree.

Juliana Dutton is a young woman who works at an orphanage when she is not trying to handle her father's shipping business and take care of her dying father who has never showed her any love. She has lost her mother and is trying to keep her twin brother from spoiling the family name by his lifestyle. So it is no wonder she questions where God is in her life.

The Pirate Earl finds himself attracted to this young woman and has to keep rescuing her from the precarious positions she keeps finding herself in. But Juliana doesn't seem to realize to what lengths this pirate will go to help her and when she discovers his secret she may never forgive him or learn to ever trust him.

Get ready for some high seas adventure. This story can easily be read as a stand alone. The Pirate Earl's father is the pirate from The Redemption so this story takes place years later. There is also a very severe disaster at the end of this story, which I thought was a little over the top, but then as a historical side note at the back of the book the author gives the facts of how this really did take place. If you like high seas adventure, pirates and romance then be prepared to enjoy yourself matey! ( )
  judyg54 | Jun 28, 2014 |
Swashbuckling, dangerous pirates and faith in the Carribbean.

amaica, late 1600's. Swashbuckling, dangerous pirates, a city of gamblers and womanizers, of filthy rich who will have nothing to do with the poor and downtrodden, and Julianna Dutton thrown into the midst of it all. Julianna is trying to secretly run her father's shipping business, as her father is gravely ill and no woman would be respected in that position. Her brother, who should be taking over the business, is only concerned about womanizing, drinking, and gambling. To add to Julianna's concerns is a former well-to-do friend, who, having lost everything, has turned to prostitution to make a living. Julianna tries to help this friend, despite constant dangers to her own well-being, which leads her to meet the infamous Pirate Earl. A forbidden attraction, to be sure, as Julianna's hope is to do enough good, including helping a certain abandoned orphanage, to be assured of a home in heaven. As Julianna fights this growing attraction to Jamaica's most famous bad-boy pirate, another suitor bothers her to no end, a Captain Nichols. Enter a foppish, effeminate, rich lord who proposes a false engagement to throw off Captain Nichols. Now Julianna has another sin, deception, to keep her bad from outweighing her good, and keeping her out of heaven's reach. Marylu ties all these pieces together with plenty of high-adventure, rough seas, treachery, loss of faith and two people desperately searching for meaning in life without it. How will all these pieces seamlessly and yet surprisingly work together to reach an astonishing conclusion? A must read.
I received this book from bookfun.org in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Becky_L | Mar 31, 2014 |
RANSOM (LEGACY OF THE KING'S PIRATES) by MaryLu Tyndall is an exciting Inspirational Historical Fiction set in 1692 Port Royal, Jamaica. #4 in the "LEGACY OF THE KING'S PIRATES, but can be read as a stand alone. See, The Redemption, Legacy of the Kings' Pirates Series #1,
The Reliance, Legacy of the Kings' Pirates Series #2 and
The Restitution, Legacy of the Kings' Pirates Series #3
Meet, Miss Juliana Dutton, the daughter of a shipping owner and Alexander Hyde, son of the infamous Captain Edmund Merrick Hyde, aka, The Pirate Earl and Lord Munthrope, who is the town's buffoon or so they think. And a few other wicked and not so wicked secondary characters.
"Ransom (Legacy of the King's Pirates)" is the tale of faith, passion, secrets, love, romance, healing and forgiveness. Action packed, and fast paced from beginning to the every last page. Filled with adventure, a sea battle or two, struggles, and romance. Oh, an earthquake, and an earth shattering realization, literally!
WOW!! I was so excited to receive this long awaited tale, and was not disappointed. I adore pirates! The characters are engaging, and realistic. The storyline is interesting and intriguing. Although, poor Juliana meets with one problem after the other. From her desire to keep her secrets, to her troublesome twin brother, to her reaction to the Pirate King, and her growing attraction the buffoon Lord Munthrope. But can she trust either of them with her heart and her secrets? Juliana feels abandoned by everyone in her life, including God, sometimes.
Faith based, but not "preachy". A pure joy to read! I couldn't put RANSOM down!
Ms. Tyndall is back with her pirates!! I absolutely loved this tale of the promise of love, and the power of forgiveness and healing. A sweet romance! I can hardly wait to what is next for THE LEGACY OF THE KING'S PIRATES. If you don't read any other tale of pirates and romance, you really should pick up RANSOM ( LEGACY OF THE KING'S PIRATES). You will not be disappointed!
Well done!!
Received for an honest review from the author.
RATING: 4.5
HEAT RATING: SWEET
REVIEWED BY: AprilR, courtesy of My Book Addiction and More ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Mar 11, 2014 |
MaryLu Tyndall can write a pirate tale like no other! This book is the long awaited sequel to the 3 book 'Legacy of the King's Pirates' series. They say good things come to those who wait and this book proves the saying true. Some years have passed since book 3 but it in no way takes away from the story.

Julianna Dutton is keeping a secret; a huge secret. Her father is desperately ill and she is running his shipping business on the sly. No one will do business with her if they know a woman is running the business. Things are getting rough, though. She can't keep putting her father's business associates off for long.

The Pirate Earl, feared by all and admired by nearly that many, rescues Julianna when she ventures too far afield of propriety to help a friend in need. She can't help but be a bit intrigued by this man, whom she suspects has secrets of his own.

I will give away no more of this story so as not to ruin it for those who haven't read the book, but I will say this: you will not be one bit bored by this book! No, on the contrary, you will sit up late at night and spend every spare moment, even neglecting things to finish the book!

This book was like a breath of fresh air to me. I have read all MaryLu's books and enjoyed them every one, but my, was it good to be back on the high seas again! Boy, I loved this offering from her and I do believe (hint to author) that there will be even more in this series.

MaryLu Tyndall has never shied away from proclaiming Christ in her books and even delving into spiritual warfare and I love this about her. Truly love it and admire her also for this. Christians must stand up for Christ and she does so greatly in her books.

Each of the main characters in this book are dealing with spiritual issues that have held them back and even crippled them to a degree. But God has other plans for them. Plans to rescue them from their own folly and bring them into His marvelous light.

I loved, loved, loved this book! I read like a madwoman because it was so delightful. Nearly every word, every paragrah was like a sweet treat to me.

The spritual aspect of this book was very moving as well. I absolutely cannot wait for the next! Bravo, MaryLu Tyndall! ( )
  SusanGibsonSnodgrss | Mar 1, 2014 |
“The Ransom” is crafted as meticulously as one of Shakespeare’s comedies and detailed as richly. The scenes play out so crisply in the mind’s eye, I can’t help but feel this novel (and the others in the Legacy of the King’s Pirates series) would make a wonderful film!

What a beautiful picture of Christ this novel paints. When Jesus came to earth, He was rejected because many saw Him as the foppish Lord Munthrope, weak and mad. But there were a select few who saw Him as the strong and protective Pirate Earl! My prayer is that those who read this amazing novel will see the Lord Jesus as a strong, caring and sensitive protector who put Himself in harm’s way to save our very souls! And that the realization will draw us to a place where we cannot spend enough time in His presence.

As a member of MaryLu’s Motley Crew, I would like to extend a heartfelt “Thank you” to my Captain for sending me a copy of "The Ransom" in exchange for an honest review. I am truly grateful for the privilege of supporting a wonderful author who loves Christ and doesn’t shy away from presenting Him in her books! Huzzah!
added by StaceyLV | editWORD Up! (Apr 17, 2014)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,141,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible