A Sword Into Darkness by Thomas A. Mays

A Sword Into Darkness

by Thomas A. Mays

I picked up this book because it popped up in my recommendations from Kindle and I thought it sounded interesting enough for me to have a go at it. I have to say that the book was a bit of a surprise. Not that the actual story was not what I expected but I am surprised at how much I liked the book. Most of it is simply excellent.

The book starts off with the Aerospace Tycoon mentioned in the blurb above trying to convince US government representatives that aliens are indeed on their way to Earth and to take appropriate measures. Of course they do not believe him so he takes matters in his own hands and together with a band of collaborators he sets of to build Earth’s first combat capable spaceship.

We get to follow the process of actually designing the ship, building it, dodging the assholes from the US government and of course finally…first contact. I found the book very well written and very captivating. The characters are well done, the science well thought through and as believable as one can expect from a sci-fi novel. Once the action starts it is as nicely done as the rest of the book.

I was ready to give this book a full set of stars up until the aliens actually started to communicate and reveal why they were on course for Earth. Obviously I cannot give any details here since it would totally spoil the book but I was flabbergasted to say the least. It is quite possible that other people might like this more than me. Obviously the author thought it was a good idea but to me it was just dumb. Not dumb enough to really ruin the book for me but definitely enough to strip it from that last star.

Still, it is a great book. I would definitely recommend it despite my gripe above.
  perjonsson | Oct 28, 2017 |
I liked this book. First time author - military sci-fi - you kinda risk the danger regarding stiff dialogue, silly romances, and bad science. This book escapes that formula and delivers an interesting premise of alien invasion and how mankind could respond to a threat.

I found myself genuinely starting to care for some of the characters and the space battles were fun. This is a book that could have been expanded by a factor of two and further details given into the construction of the first prototype, the political intrigue surrounding the decision to construct multiple other ships, etc.

I look forward to reading other works by this author. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,425,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible