The Septic Circle by Lorna Reid

The Septic Circle

by Lorna Reid

611,268,033 (4)None

I received this book via Firstreads in exchange for an honest review and I certainly wasn't disappointed...

Firstly, I must state that this book had a lot of different parts that attributed to the overall concept and storyline - the combination of which could have ended in disaster (or should that be in ectoplasm?!) but actually resulted in a hilarious tale of friendship, betrayal and psychic hijinks. I snickered my way through the journey of each character, learning to love their quirks and accept their awkwardness.

It was a lovely book in the respect of the physical journey each character took and what they achieved in the end, but I also felt that, in a way, it personified some of the issues with today's society. Each character, to some extent, had a flaw, but they developed and I grew to appreciate them.

The comical aspect of the book was exceptional. As well as the irony, sarcasm and general trickery. Very entertaining and unusual! A definite recommendation to all! I may have only just stopped smirking at the sheer genius of some of the lines from this book!

Also, I could really do with a Freddy in my life. I need a personal cleaner that I can pay in fine china and soap magazines. :)

*I must also state that when I refer to "each character", I am clearly excluding Fenwick! :) ( )
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |

As the only sceptic in Cravenly’s new and not-very-psychic circle, how many haunted toasters, possessed worry dolls, and sabotaged book signings can one man cope with? Jay Taylor’s patience may already be stretched to breaking point, but the odious presence of ego-ridden psychic star Fenwick Arcana could just push him over the edge.

Having taken the nervous wreck who started this whole mess, Freddy, under his wing, and with gossip-monger Lysander and irrepressible believer Marnie to cope with, the circle’s most reluctant member is about to have his sanity severely tested.

Gathered together, their diaries chronicle the circle’s first year, as they fight through a minefield of paranormal detritus, smug wizardry, toxic baking, revenge plots, and the filming of disastrously amateur paranormal TV show, Spirit Squad. But through all that, perhaps the biggest battle any of them will face is one another. And the loneliness.

For anyone who ever wondered if it is possible to catch a ghost using marmalade*.

*it isn’t.

More...

The Septic Circle is a humorous diary-style book, told from the viewpoints of five members of a ‘not-very-psychic’ circle, with each person’s diary helping to build up a humorous (or poignant) picture of events.

The book charts the circle members’ first year, taking in haunted appliances, sabotaged book signings, and chaotic ghost-hunting TV shows, among other things. While, on the surface, it may seem like humour, the core of the book is the growing relationships and dynamics between the characters. Ultimately, it is a book about loneliness, as much as anything else.

It's a delicious slice of British humour served on a paranormal plate, that will make you laugh, cry, and wonder about the ghost-catching properties of marmalade.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:22 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,881,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible