A SEAL's Kiss (Harlequin BlazeUniformly…

A SEAL's Kiss (Harlequin BlazeUniformly Hot!)

by Tawny Weber

A SEAL's Kiss
3 Stars

Flighty Sage Taylor has never been able to settle down with one place, one job or one man for very long. So no one is more surprised than she when, to please her ailing father, Sage agrees to enter into a fake engagement with sexy Naval Petty Officer Aiden Masters. The only problem is Aiden pesky no-sex rule, but Sage is sure to find a way around that one even if it means losing her heart for good…

A cute category romance but not as good as the first three installments in the series.

The fake engagement trope is well-developed, however, there is something about Sage and Aiden’s romance that just doesn’t work. On the surface, they are perfect for one another. He is an irresistible mix of brainiac and sex god while she is both feisty and free-spirited. The combination should have sparks flying and pages sizzling, but in actuality it falls somewhat flat. Aiden’s affection for Sage seems more fitting for a brother than a lover and Sage’s New Age persona can be irritating at times.

Unlike the previous books, there is very little plot to speak of and no real conflict. As the rest of the series has been very entertaining, I’m hopeful that the next installment will be better. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Very good book. It starts out with flashbacks to the weddings of Sage's friends, with each one becoming more interested in finding The One for Sage. When the most recent wedding has all three of her friends now focused on her, Sage does the only thing she can think of - concocts a fake engagement with her friend Aiden. She figures that she can fake it for awhile, then end it, without Aiden knowing anything about it. Then her father is diagnosed with cancer, and word of her "engagement" gives him happiness and hope.

The first Aiden knows of the engagement is when he shows up on leave and people start congratulating him. I loved how he didn't get angry once he heard the story behind it, and was willing to keep up the deception. It was also pretty amusing to see how he treated it like a military mission in an attempt to keep things under control.

Aiden and Sage had known each other for a very long time and are familiar with each others' personalities. Sage is known to be a bit flaky, unable to settle on a particular job or keep up a relationship for more than a few months. She also has a big heart and cares deeply for the causes she gets involved in. Aiden is highly intelligent and has been focused on his career as a SEAL. Sage's father has been his mentor for most of his life and he'll do anything to make the man happy.

I loved the attraction between them. Sage had been well aware of Aiden's sexiness for a long time, but did nothing about it. Aiden has also been attracted to Sage, but she's his mentor's daughter which makes her off limits. I had a great time with the part where they are setting up the background and rules for the engagement. Aiden is very pragmatic and doesn't see the necessity for the emotional details of the deception, while Sage is quite aware of the things that could blow their story if they don't lock it down. However, Aiden is very determined to protect them both from the dangers of their deception and insists on a "no sex" rule. I loved Sage's reaction to that, and how she was determined to break that rule as soon as possible.

I loved the growth of the relationship between them. Aiden is so focused and logical, and keeps his emotions well hidden. He's always had a thing for Sage, but has seen enough military marriages crash and burn that there's no way he'd try to tie her down. I loved Sage's ability to pursue her happiness. She knows it's out there somewhere and she's willing to keep looking until she finds it. I loved seeing how Aiden and Sage balanced each other. Her quirkiness and positive attitude helped to center him when the stresses of his work bring him down. At the same time, Aiden's steadiness gives Sage the rock she can lean on when her life gets a little crazier than usual.

Even better, I loved the way that each of them accepted the other just as they are. Aiden can see that Sage's causes are an integral part of who she is. I loved his support of her when thoughtless comments by their friends made her question herself. Sage is also very aware that being a SEAL is important to Aiden, that his commitment is a big part of his identity. I liked the way she supported him against those who were trying to use their engagement to change him. Things are going pretty well with Sage beginning to hope that their future can become a real one, when Aiden's self doubts cause him to back away. I loved seeing how it is the "flake" that has the clearer view of who they are and what drives them. She lays her heart on the line with Aiden and says some things to him that give him something to think about. I loved the ending and seeing how their feelings gave each of them the strength to take charge of their own lives. Aiden's big moment at the end was sweet and romantic. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Jan 6, 2016 |
Another great Tawny Weber read! After knowing each other all their lives, faking an engagement should a piece of cake, right? In this witty, sexy story we find out how hard it can be. You don't want to miss it. Recommended read. ( )
  Bette_Hansen | Nov 3, 2015 |
Originally published on Tales to Tide You Over

While this novel didn’t connect with me as much as A SEAL’s Salvation did, this is another solid, sensual romance by Tawny Weber. This novel’s themes are the girl next door, but it’s taken in such a sideways manner and with fun characters who neither trust themselves nor the other where emotions are concerned that the novel comes across as pretty unique.

Aiden practically grew up with Sage when her professor father adopted him intellectually when he proved a sop for knowledge. Because of this, he knows her better than anyone else, with all her failings and quirks. While startled, especially with no warning, when he discovers Sage made up a fake engagement that snowballed, Aiden rolls with it long enough to understand why they have to keep up the pretense, at least for now. Both his willingness and caution make him likeable, but there’s more running under his surface than even he recognizes because of recent losses in his SEAL team and his own unacknowledged dissatisfaction with his life.

Sage might sound like a complete flake, and she certainly doesn’t hang around any one thing for long, but she loves her father, cares for her friends, and is trying to make a difference in her own, unique way, something her friends do not understand. But Aiden does. He gets what she’s about on a visceral level that both empowers and disturbs Sage. She’s a lot more complex than she gives herself credit for, much less the majority of those around her who don’t see past the surface.

The sex felt a lot more prevalent than in the other novel, but this is a Harlequin Blaze so that should have been expected. What makes it work for me is how their physical connection becomes such a part of their natures and their struggles. It starts almost as a dare when Aiden declares it’s not part of the plan, but quickly becomes more complicated.

Looking back over this review, I see the words complex and complicated have a firm grasp on my descriptions, and if you’ve been reading my reviews for a while, you’ll know that’s something I look for. While A SEAL’s Kiss doesn’t shed light on a bigger issue we face as a society, it is true to the characters and their very personal struggles. And now let me eat my words. It does tackle a bigger question: What would you do to shore up a sick elderly parent? Though not intended, her simple lie to get out of a blind date, thanks to the gossip chain, becomes her father’s touchstone as he faces serious treatment to fight off cancer. When she’d thought to come clean, his joy even in the face of this medical crisis stops her.

On the one hand, this is a quirky, amusing story of the pit even a simple lie can dig. On the other hand, though, it delves into the struggles of handling a sick parent as well as how important it is to find someone who understand you even when you might not understand yourself.

So, I’d have to say once again Tawny Weber has proven herself to be a talented author who can address the big issues in such a way that they feel personal, while creating characters and stories that entertain on multiple levels.

P.S. I received this title from the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review. ( )
  MarFisk | Jun 6, 2014 |
Tawny does it again with another great book in her Seal's series. I eagerly await each new one and devour them when I get them. This seal was the most hard headed/stubborn one of the bunch. He just couldn't admit that he was in love with Sage and wanted the fake engagement to be real. She had to follow the old adage that if you love something set it free-making him realize what he was missing once she was out of his life. If you haven't read any of the Seal's then you really should. ( )
  booksrforever | Mar 23, 2014 |

Subject: Navy SEAL Petty Officer Aiden Masters Current Status: On leave Obstacle: Deploy "Mission: (Fake) Engagement," without actually falling for his fiancee! The goal of Mission: Engagement is simple, a fake engagement concocted to bring happiness to Sage Taylor's ailing father. The Rules: 1) Treat it like a military mission 2) Keep the truth undercover 3) The "engagement" lasts as long as the professor's health depends on it; and 4) No sex, especially with each other! But the incredibly spirited (and a touch quirky) Sage has never been one for rules. Especially when they involve Aiden's rock-hard navy bod and a ton of smokin'-hot sexual attraction. Which means in order to seduce this sexy SEAL, she'll have to completely outmaneuver him...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,449,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible