Someone Else's Skin by Sarah Hilary

Someone Else's Skin (2014)

by Sarah Hilary

Series: DI Marnie Rome (1)

Detective Inspector Marnie Rome has tried to pick up her life again after the vicious murder of her parents several years ago. She and her partner, DS Noah Jake, are asked to convince a woman at a battered woman's shelter to give evidence against her brother. He is the main suspect in one of their cases. They arrive at the scene to find the husband of one of the women lying on the floor, the apparent victim of a stabbing. As Marnie and Noah investigate the crime further, events begin to spiral and the violence escalates. Everyone, including Marnie, is keeping secrets that will need to get out in the open if they expect to solve this case.

This book deals with serious topics, primarily abuse, which puts it on the darker side of the mystery genre. I thought the author made the plot and characters very believable, especially in dealing with sensitive issues like gender, culture, race and sexual violence. There are plenty of twists and turns that make this a very compelling read. Marnie Rome is a complicated character with a tragic back story. Her own history is referred to throughout the book and is made to feel an integral part of the novel. She has her own secrets, as does her partner, Noah Jake. While they are both damaged in their own way, it works well in this book and I'm happy to see there is already a second book in the series called No Other Darkness. I've already picked it up. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
Welcome to a very exciting and gripping debut crime novel from Sarah Hilary that captures your attention right from the start and never releases its hold. Centres on an investigation at a woman’s refuge in London which starts as domestic abuse and serious wounding, the case confounds the detectives’ expectations as their work progresses. There is one rather unlikely event in the final chapter that jars with the rest of the story, but only slightly detracts from the whole. All the characters are finely drawn and the detectives leading the case also have to face up to their own pasts. The writing draws you in and you just have to keep reading.
  camharlow2 | Jun 8, 2017 |
I must admit this had been sitting on my to-read pile for ages and when I finally picked it up I thought it would be just another police procedural novel. How wrong I was. Sarah Hilary has written a gob smacking first novel. She takes the highly emotive issue of battered women and messes with our preconceptions and prejudices. As a reader I could tell Marnie was on to something but when I found out what was going on it really flipped my thinking around. I won't give too much away but if you want a novel that will truly surprise you, you won't go far wrong with this one. ( )
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
Good airplane reading (which is where I read it) but a little too grizzly for me. I am kind of a wimp. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
A disappointing read. I had high hopes for this debut novel given the glowing reviews. The main character needed to be in deep therapy, not leading an investigation. The story itself relies on too much violence to try to hook the reader. It leaves the reader feeling sad about the direction that society is taking. I found this book to be a waste of time and will not read the next book by this author. ( )
  Icewineanne | Aug 4, 2016 |

Sarah Hilaryprimary authorall editionscalculated
Misani, NickCover photo and designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Anna, in defiance

DI Marnie Rome and her partner DS Noah Jake investigate a case in which a woman at a domestic violence shelter stabs her husband, but none of the witnesses is telling quite the same story about it.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,056,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible