Baby Cats by Bethany Olson
312,001,085 (4)1

BABY CATS is one of the books in this new BLASTOFF READERS series. The books are at the First Grade reading level and given the current price, I'd say that the publisher is targeting libraries and classrooms. (The books are pricey.)

BABY CATS is at the mid-1st Grade level.

WHAT I LIKE about BABY CATS are the simple sentences and the large font. I also like the pages are color saturated with cheerful photographs of kittens and their moms.

WHAT I DIDN'T particularly like was that some of the pictures were fuzzy. They might have done that for the cover, to give the beautiful little kitten a warm glow; but other pictures later in the book were also fuzzed.

In addition, I thought some of the content was 'a waste of time'. Whereas just about every text block in the BABY DOGS book provided information, this book pointed out that "kittens stretch out to relax. Big yawn!". And twice it talked about how cats/kittens snuggle for warmth, and twice it pointed out that kittens are cleaned with a tongue.

SO, not quite as nice as the BABY DOGS book, but probably worth borrowing from the library, as the kitten photos --fuzzy or not-- are absolutely adorable. And this will certainly help motivate young readers.
  PamFamilyLibrary | Mar 2, 2014 |

"Developed by literacy experts for students in kindergarten through grade three, this book introduces baby cats to young readers through leveled text and related photos"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,172,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible