The Messengers by Edward Hogan

The Messengers

by Edward Hogan

419279,442 (2.85)2

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The synopsis was intriguing and drew me in, but sadly the writing failed to keep me reading. Hogan doesn't delve too deeply into his characters and I just didn't feel attached to them or the story. ( )
  brismel | Mar 8, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The premise of this short novel is interesting but it lacks in the delivery. There are some plot holes and the characters aren't very fleshed out. The effort feels juvenile.
  Deedledee | May 7, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Messengers poses an interesting question: should you attempt to save people who are fated to die? Despite such a fascinating premise I felt it was rather undeveloped. The main character (Frances) seems content to run amok, not sparing any thought to the consequences of her actions...or the result it will have on others. It was rather infuriating and occupied space that would have been better spent discussing the theological ramifications of having visions/potentially saving those soon to die. Good premise but ultimately, not engaging. ( )
  clear_tranquil | Mar 31, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a copy of the The Messengers by Edward Hogan through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers Program. The Messengers has two plot threads: one that is more paranormal fiction and one that is more contemporary realistic fiction. Frances hasn't had an easy life being raised by a single mom who at times is a distracted parent. She is close to her older brother but he has his own personal demons that he fights against through being a boxer. When Frances' brother swings on an off duty policeman in self-defense he goes on the lam because he fears going to prison for assaulting an officer. Frances is sent to live with relatives in a seaside town and settles in to a more pleasant existence. When she meets Peter her life is thrown for a loop because he is much older than her but she feels a strong attraction to him. She and Peter become friendly because they are both messengers who are people who deliver death messages to people via postcard. Being a messenger is difficult situation because not delivering the message could bring harm to your own family. I enjoyed the book and thought it had great pacing and an intriguing plot. The main characters did annoy me at times though, Peter because he was so moody and unpredictable and Frances because she was stubborn and used poor judgement at times. I thought the writing was good but would have liked more background on the Messengers. Overall, a good book one that I would recommend to fans of paranormal fiction. ( )
  68papyrus | Mar 27, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Frances is spending her summer with her Aunt, Uncle, and cousin, Max, due to problems at home. Her brother, Johnny, is in hiding from the police, her mother is too emotional, and her father's never been in the picture. However, her brother has filled her in with sweet memories.

On one of her first days in town, Frances meets Peter. She is immediately drawn to him, despite his mysterious personality and the huge age gap. He tells her she is just like him - a messenger of death. They both suffer from black outs, then they wake up and draw the scene of a person's death. It is up to them to puzzle out who they are and deliver the message.

I was not thrilled with this book. It took me weeks to read the 200 some pages. I just kept finding better things to read, which may not be fair, but it's the truth.

I didn't care for the characters at all. Peter, being a grown man, was filled with way too much angst. Frances takes control of her situation, to her credit, but I didn't believe her feelings and actions were genuine or thoughtful. The relationship between Frances and Peter creeped me out. SHe's a young teen and he's in his late 20s. She develops feelings for him and lusts after him. He maintains a mentor-student relationship with Frances, but involves her with his family's issues.

The general idea of the story wasn't bad, but the story did not keep me engaged. However, I felt the writing was well done. ( )
  Caitlin.Rae | Mar 25, 2015 |

Sent to stay with her aunt to escape difficulties at home, fifteen-year-old Frances meets the otherworldly Peter, a messenger who brings unwelcome news and believes that Frances is also a messenger.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Edward Hogan's book The Messengers was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,758,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible