The Messengers by Edward Hogan

The Messengers (edition 2015)

by Edward Hogan

Member:readerbynight
Title:The Messengers
Authors:Edward Hogan
Info:Candlewick (2015), Hardcover, 224 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:horror, psychological thriller, fiction, young adult, mystery, death, message, postcards, ARC

The Messengers by Edward Hogan

I was super excited when I won this book from LibraryThing. Lately I’ve won a couple of books, but unfortunately like The Frail Days by Gabrielle Prendergast, this book was also only a two star read for me.

The Messengers could have been a three star book. I did like it. I really enjoyed reading it but I had to drop a star because of the characters. I can’t really explain it that well without spoiling stuff. I will just say that Frances does something really stupid. She’s trying to help but I feel like even a child would understand how dumb and dangerous her idea is. Her friend also annoyed me. He was all over the place.

When I finished reading this book, I wanted to give it three stars, but I just couldn’t. I can usually look past characters making bad decisions or being slightly annoying, but I couldn’t with this one.

I did enjoy it and think it is worth a read. I would just suggest that maybe you get this one from the library. ( )
  TheTreeReader | Dec 28, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The synopsis was intriguing and drew me in, but sadly the writing failed to keep me reading. Hogan doesn't delve too deeply into his characters and I just didn't feel attached to them or the story. ( )
  brismel | Mar 8, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The premise of this short novel is interesting but it lacks in the delivery. There are some plot holes and the characters aren't very fleshed out. The effort feels juvenile.
  Deedledee | May 7, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Messengers poses an interesting question: should you attempt to save people who are fated to die? Despite such a fascinating premise I felt it was rather undeveloped. The main character (Frances) seems content to run amok, not sparing any thought to the consequences of her actions...or the result it will have on others. It was rather infuriating and occupied space that would have been better spent discussing the theological ramifications of having visions/potentially saving those soon to die. Good premise but ultimately, not engaging. ( )
  clear_tranquil | Mar 31, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a copy of the The Messengers by Edward Hogan through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers Program. The Messengers has two plot threads: one that is more paranormal fiction and one that is more contemporary realistic fiction. Frances hasn't had an easy life being raised by a single mom who at times is a distracted parent. She is close to her older brother but he has his own personal demons that he fights against through being a boxer. When Frances' brother swings on an off duty policeman in self-defense he goes on the lam because he fears going to prison for assaulting an officer. Frances is sent to live with relatives in a seaside town and settles in to a more pleasant existence. When she meets Peter her life is thrown for a loop because he is much older than her but she feels a strong attraction to him. She and Peter become friendly because they are both messengers who are people who deliver death messages to people via postcard. Being a messenger is difficult situation because not delivering the message could bring harm to your own family. I enjoyed the book and thought it had great pacing and an intriguing plot. The main characters did annoy me at times though, Peter because he was so moody and unpredictable and Frances because she was stubborn and used poor judgement at times. I thought the writing was good but would have liked more background on the Messengers. Overall, a good book one that I would recommend to fans of paranormal fiction. ( )
  68papyrus | Mar 27, 2015 |

Frances meets Peter while staying with her aunt for the summer. Peter is a messenger. Peter believes that Frances is a messenger, too.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Edward Hogan's book The Messengers was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,142,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible