Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

I am Rosa Parks (Ordinary People Change the…

I am Rosa Parks (Ordinary People Change the World)

by Brad Meltzer

Other authors: Christopher Eliopoulos (Illustrator)

Series: Ordinary People Change the World

Age Range: 3 to 5 years
Grade Range: Preschool to Kindergarten

This book features a young Rosa Parks, before she became inspired the Montgomery Bus Boycott. As a child, Rosa was shoved by a white boy, even though she was just minding her own business. She shoved the boy back. She knew fighting was wrong, but she didn’t want the boy picking on her again. The boy’s mother yelled at her, but Rosa stood her ground and explained that the boy had pushed her even though she had not bothered him at all. This experience teaches her to stand up for herself and for what is right.

This book enlighten young minds and help them to learn how to stand up for themselves and what they believe is right. ( )
  lewisl6 | May 12, 2019 |
very nice book about a touchy subject. easily understood for ages 4 and up.
  lesabrn | Mar 5, 2019 |
Biography nonfiction, picture book, Grade PK-5.
It is a great book for young readers. It paints an accessible kid-friendly picture of injustices of the time before civil rights. The book also does a great job relating to the character and letting readers inside of Rosa Parks’ experience. ( )
  ebroph2 | Feb 14, 2019 |
I liked this book for many reasons. One of the reasons I liked it is because the author focused on particular character traits that made Rosa Parks stand out as a person. For instance, Rosa Parks was brave enough to stay seated, and as a result she helped end the public bus segregation. The author emphasizes the trait and then moves on with examples of that trait. Another reason I liked this book is because it pushes readers to think about real life issues that actually happened. This allows them to broaden their understandings, specifically during the times of segregation. For example, the author talks about racism and boycotting, but still in a way that is appropriate for children. It is a great introduction to issues and realities of the past. The main message of this book is to inspire others to strive and dream and that one person can truly make all the difference in the world with one small act. ( )
  AlexandraLorditch | Feb 8, 2019 |
I love how this book is able to to transport students back in time to a world with different laws and rules. "I am Rosa Parks" gives students a first hand look at how a Rosa Parks was treated because of the color of her skin. This book brings out a lot of emotion in my students and sparks a lot of conversations around other influential African Americans. ( )
  iaanders19 | Jan 29, 2019 |

Brad Meltzerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eliopoulos, ChristopherIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"We can all be heroes" is the message entertainingly told in this picture-book biography series from #1 New York Times Bestselling author Brad Meltzer.

“Kids always search for heroes, so we might as well have a say in it,” Brad Meltzer realized, and so he envisioned this friendly, fun approach to biography – for his own kids, and for yours. Each book tells the story of one of America’s icons in a vivacious, conversational way that works well for the youngest nonfiction readers, those who aren’t quite ready for the Who Was biography series. Each book focuses on a particular character trait that made that role model heroic. For example, Rosa Parks dared to stand up for herself and other African Americans by staying seated, and as a result she helped end public bus segregation and launch the country’s Civil Rights Movement.

This engaging series is the perfect way to bring American history to life for young children, providing them with the right role models, supplementing Common Core learning in the classroom, and best of all, inspiring them to strive and dream.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:40 -0400)

Recounts Rosa Parks' daring effort to stand up for herself and other African Americans by helping to end segregation on public transportation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,496,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible