I am Rosa Parks (Ordinary People Change the…

I am Rosa Parks (Ordinary People Change the World)

by Brad Meltzer

Other authors: Christopher Eliopoulos (Illustrator)

Series: Ordinary People Change World

Summary:This is a biography of Rosa Parks. The book tells her story growing up and living in the time of segregation.The story gives details about different drinking fountains, schools, movie theater entrances ect. for different races. The book depicts Rosa and the lessons she was taught by her mother. She was taught to always respect herself, respect others and always stand up for herself.

Personal Reaction: I honestly have loved this book story growing up. When it came to talking about segregation, Rosa Parks was the best story in my opinion.

Classroom Extension: As a teacher, I would allow the students to create a story but they would have to put themselves in Rosa Parks position and tell me how they would react.
  Darcy_Davenport | Nov 28, 2017 |
Summary:
This story is about how Rosa Parks pushed what she believed in and how she achieved it. It shows her life and how she was brought up and her morals and the views she had on the world.

Personal Reaction:
I love this book. It gave a great illustration of how Rosa grew up and how her mind worked. It showed what she believed in.

Classroom Extensions:
1) Create a story on what they would do in Rosas situations.
2) Have them Create an illustration on their favorite part of the book was.
  HaileyMG25 | Oct 30, 2017 |
Summary:
This book is about Rosa Parks, how she grew up, her morals, and how she helped in the civil rights movement. It uses little tidbit stories to help illustrate how Rosa Parks grew up and the way the world was in those times.

Personal Reaction:
The book does a great job explaining her life and roles in the simplest form. It could be used for many grades to teach on Rosa Parks. The illustrations were great as well as the speech bubbles for dialogue. The author did an excellent job on this book.

Classroom:
Cut out Buses from paper and have students write something they remember from the story, what she did, why she did it, who she was.
Have students write a thank you letter to Rosa Parks. ( )
  avandever | Oct 10, 2017 |
This book is a biography of Rosa Parks. It tells several small stories of how she grew up mistreated because of the color of her skin. It tells how she was taught to stand up for herself and expect respect. This book was a great way to teach the children I read to about Rosa Parks without loosing the attention of very young readers. The author did a great job at relating to small children and keeping their attention.
A possible classroom extension activity could be teaching the children about respect and kindness,etc. Have them write down what each means to them. ( )
  brookebbee | Jul 25, 2017 |
This is a biography of Rosa Parks, written in first person. The book tells her story growing up and living in the time segregation. The story gives details about different drinking fountains, schools, movie theater entrances etc. for different races. The book depicts Rosa and the lessons she was taught by her mother. She was taught to always respect herself, respects others and always stand up for her self.

I love the speech bubbles, the illustrations and how the author conveyed the remarkable story of Rosa Parks in a child friendly manner. I love how adorable little Rosa was portrayed and how he incorporated real photos at the end of the story.

I would use the story to teach the children about being respectful and standing up, in this case sitting down for what's right. I would also make a school bus in the library area with chairs. As a class we could use cardboard to make the sides of the bus. ( )
  LatriciaMurphy | Jul 19, 2017 |

Brad Meltzerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eliopoulos, ChristopherIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"We can all be heroes" is the message entertainingly told in this picture-book biography series from #1 New York Times Bestselling author Brad Meltzer.

“Kids always search for heroes, so we might as well have a say in it,” Brad Meltzer realized, and so he envisioned this friendly, fun approach to biography – for his own kids, and for yours. Each book tells the story of one of America’s icons in a vivacious, conversational way that works well for the youngest nonfiction readers, those who aren’t quite ready for the Who Was biography series. Each book focuses on a particular character trait that made that role model heroic. For example, Rosa Parks dared to stand up for herself and other African Americans by staying seated, and as a result she helped end public bus segregation and launch the country’s Civil Rights Movement.

This engaging series is the perfect way to bring American history to life for young children, providing them with the right role models, supplementing Common Core learning in the classroom, and best of all, inspiring them to strive and dream.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:40 -0400)

Recounts Rosa Parks' daring effort to stand up for herself and other African Americans by helping to end segregation on public transportation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,005,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible