Ravaged (The Hunger) (Volume 3) by Jason…

Ravaged (The Hunger) (Volume 3)

by Jason Brant

ABR's original Ravaged audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Is this the end of the human race? Ralph and most of his men were dead. It was several weeks later and Lance was still hurting from the knife wound in his shoulder. Now he had the added job of running the camp. Cass was second in command and Doc Emmett Brown took care of the camp’s sick and dying.
Night patrol guards armed with guns and powerful flashlights watched for the Vlads. But something was happening to the monsters and it was bad news for the humans. They were starting to evolve, to think and communicate.

I particularly enjoyed the banter between Cass and Lance. They loved each other but still had to squabble. It added some lightness to the darkness of the story. It seems that Lance just can’t catch a break. Everything is going so well but then the Vlads begin acting differently. Then a General shows up with a tank and soldiers. He acts like he wants to offer them protection but his real reason is quite different. He dislikes Lance but acts friendly enough yet Lance doesn’t trust him. Cass is also concerned about the soldiers and the tank. When the General comes back after a scouting run and tells them Lance was killed by the Vlads, Cass doesn’t believe him.

Tanks, choppers, and murder keep the story moving forward. Just when things look blackest the writer throws in a twist. Keeping the reader guessing as to what will happen next. I just loved this series and the ending leaves a hint for more books.

Wayne June did an excellent job of narration. His voices were good, he spoke clearly and concisely. He really got into the characters to inflect danger, fear and excitement in his telling. Wonderful job!

There were no production issues.

Audiobook provided for review by the narrator. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Sep 18, 2015 |
This is the first series in this genre that I've given 5 stars to each of the books comprising the series; each book better than its predecessor! I thoroughly enjoyed Ravaged, yet it seems to be the most gruesome of the three. Daywalkers are almost extinct - each having evolved into wicked Vladdies - the most fearsome and dangerous of the mutants. They're creating underground nests - sleeping during the day and going out into the night to hunt and Ravenge.

The foursome have managed to take over Ralph's compound and have brought with them a hint of hope and civilization to the people living there. It was pretty much self-sustained with natural gas generators for electricity, water, planted gardens and an array of lighting that kept the Vladdies at bay. They were comfortable and started to think about the future. Unfortunately, the Vladdies were getting smarter and could communicate among themselves, coordinating attacks and using human bait to spring ambushes on the defenders of the community.

The "crazy" guy on the radio had eyes everywhere and seemed to know everything going one. Of course, he boasted that he has a shortwave and communicates with others around the world to get his information. Yet, he doesn't want to help any particular group and wished to remain neutral. He does warn everyone that a military convoy is en-route to the compound from Annapolis (which was destroyed by the same group) and he didn't think their intentions were going to be good. They soon learned that the military had arrived and were setting up camp up the road from the compound. Readers will finally learn more about this guy and his intentions in the story.

That night, Vladdies attacked the compound - throwing rocks to destroy the bright overhead spotlights that had been keeping them at bay. The compound was completely surrounded and falling quickly in the darkness to the ravaged creatures when the military suddenly appears to save them. Were they good or bad? What were their intentions? Lance is the first to learn the truth a couple days later when he accompanies the Major on a recon mission to check on all these mysterious tunnel entrances that are popping up all over.

The "crazy" radio guy is also discovered by the Vladdies who are working day and night to tunnel into his underground safe room...he had recently saved a couple of people - their identities will be a surprise to all.

Occupants of the camp were sneaking out daily and going out on their own, no longer trusting the compounds defenses and feeling they were safer outside. Things were about to turn hairy for everyone and battles would rage on several fronts. Who will survive? Is there any place on earth safe? Will the vladdies die? It also makes me sad that the story's finished

This is by far the best zombie series that I've read to date. Highly recommended...you won't be disappointed! Thank you Mr. Brant for a fun-filled week. Your series had likable characters, snarky remarks that made me laugh, scary scenes filled with tension and suspense, and a plausible theme. Well done!

John Podlaski, author
Cherries - A Vietnam War Novel ( )
  JPodlaski | Mar 6, 2015 |
Number 3 is as good or better than the rest! I hated to see the series end and hope he'll decide to pick it back up at some point. ( )
  kylaurel | Aug 2, 2014 |
It has been 173 days since I read Consumed (yes I counted the days) and was surprised, as it felt like just the other day, and yet, on the other hand it felt like forever as I waited anxiously to find out what happened to our motley crew. Ravaged, I am happy to say, was worth every second of the wait.

I wish I could tell you about everything that happened in this book as there was a lot of really, really good stuff happening all the time - I obviously can't - but what I can tell you, is that you will not be disappointed. It was brilliant, it was mind-blowing, and it was also downright scary 99.9% of the time and I loved every nail biting minute of it.

There has been a noticeable change in each of the main characters, specifically Lance, Cass, Doc and Eifort. Some of the changes are subtle, but they are there and they add to the believability of the story while also adding depth to the characters which is so important when reading a series. Their story has changed them - and that, is life.

I did wonder how Jason Brant would maintain the momentum from Consumed (which I loved), but he has done a great job. It is well written, with great style and the characters are all well developed and compliment a storyline that is truly unique.

This was a heck of a read. I loved it. ( )
  Rosemary_Montgomery | Mar 3, 2014 |
I just now finished reading Ravaged (The Hunger #3) which is the third and final book in the The Hunger and I was simply blown away. I think I'm coming down with the flu, my throat is sore, my nose wont quit running, my heads pounding and I feel miserable but none of that mattered. I could not put this book down today. At around the 78% mark I noticed something very odd, my pulse was literally pounding, not from being sick or anything but from sheer excitement as the plot was nearing it's incredible conclusion. I could take my pulse just by touching my neck with one finger, hehe. I was on the edge of my seat through most of the book and the suspense was just killing me. I've said this on every single book review I've done of Jason Brant's books but it's always true. This author doesn't mess around. His stories don't beat around the bush, they just start out with one big bang and the explosions never stop. You just ride the shock-waves all the way until the very end. It just doesn't get any better than this. Ravaged had more than enough suspense, action and well rounded characters that you grow to love more and more with each passing book plus the pacing was beyond perfect. This series from start to finish was just a pleasure to read and one I have no doubt I'll be rereading many times in the future.

After the end of Consumed our heroes barely survived their encounter with the madman militant-psycho Ralph and ended up taking over his camp and now in Ravaged they're trying to keep everyone alive and survive the best they can. So far the lights have kept the Vladdies at bay but somethings happening, things are changing in the world and once again they find themselves fighting for their very lives. Will Lance and Cass ever find a bit of peace and a safe place to bring their child into the world? Will people ever stop making fun of Doc Emmett Brown's name? Will Greg ever stop saying Bro? Well great news! All of those questions and more will be answered in Ravaged.

I am so sad to see this series end. I've really grown attached to all of the characters especially Lance and Cass. I enjoyed watching Lance's evolution as he went from a depressed, self-loathing loser who couldn't hold down a job nor keep his marriage together to the hero he eventually became. All of the bad things in his life began to change the second he met Cass and he quickly became someone I liked and admired. Cass also had a very nice evolution even though it was a little more subtle than Lance's. Slowly she started becoming softer and started showing her emotions. Yeah she was still a badass but Lance helped her to see that not all men are jerks and helped to slowly peel away those layers of the shell that she had built around herself. Together the two of them were awesome and one heck of a team. I still love their banter and loved the fact that her term for Lance which is "dumbass" sort of became a term of affection. They were perfect for each other.

I was also really glad we get to spend more time with Doc Brown and Eifort on this one. I loved both characters and thought they were both interesting. Doc has always been a smart man as well as the wise leader that everyone went to for advice while Lance was just the natural sort of person that everyone looked up to because of his general good nature as well as his deeds. All four of our main heroes were instrumental in leading the group of survivors and I don't think they could have done it as well without every single one of them. You really get to see Doc and Eifort take charge and Doc Brown becomes so much more a man of action than he's previously been while Eifort who is still the best sharpshooter of the group shows her softer side. The characters were all well rounded, even the side characters. Adam along with some new additions were all extremely likable. Greg, well Greg is still a dumbass. I'm pretty sure he was dropped on his head a few dozen times as a child but really we owe ol' Greg a huge debt of gratitude because if it wasn't for the short story Lotion then Jason Brant might not have ever written this series. After he wrote the short story a lot of people sent feedback asking if he'd ever write more about this world so in a way we owe Greg everything. Doesn't that just really suck when you think bout it like that? Hahaha, I'm pretty sure Greg's response would be, "Awesome, Bro!".

I just cannot recommend this book or author enough. He's quickly become one of my favorite authors He along with another author who's books I love are the only two that I will completely drop whatever I'm doing to read. If I'm in the middle of another book then I'll just push it to the side to read one of theirs. They're just that good. I love how his books have so much action yet still have characters that you just absolutely love, characters that you can't stand the thought of losing and every time something bad happens you find yourself flipping ahead to make sure they're okay. Plus I totally love this cover. Cass looks freaking awesome with the Anarchy symbol and mohawk. Alas I've had to abandon all hope that she'd leave Lance for me. Lance is just way to awesome and I admire him too much. She's just way out of my league besides after all this time they now feel like family to me. I'd love to tell you about the end but I can't so instead I'll just say if you love a great zombie book then do yourself a favor and get this book and series. You have no idea what you're missing out on if you don't. Ravaged and the whole The Hunger series has all the classic makings of a legendary piece of zombie fiction. If they were made into movies today they would seriously be right up there with Day of the Dead and Dawn of the Dead, maybe even a bit better. They're just that good! ( )
  Jamiesbookblog | Mar 3, 2014 |

Jason Brant is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,609,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible