Jacob's New Dress (2014)

by Sarah Hoffman, Ian Hoffman

Other authors: Chris Case (Illustrator)

Series: Jacob's New Dress (1)

Jacob, who likes to wear dresses at home, convinces his parents to let him wear a dress to school too.

Jacob has supportive parents, friends and teachers, but also shitty friends and also the shitty world to deal with. His classmate Christopher obviously feels his masculinity is being threatened by having a boy wear a dress in his class, and I'm willing to bet his dad feels the same since he told Christopher that boys don't wear dresses. Christopher is just bent all the way out of shape here. On every page he's either scowling at Jacob or laughing at him. Relax, kid! Just live your life! No one is stopping you from being a boy!

This picture broke my heart a bit:

I hope Christopher gets over himself and Jacob has a happy life.
I only saw one comment from someone saying that it's immoral and confusing for boys to wear girl clothes (but presumably not for girls to wear boy clothes because I guess we should all aspire to be boys) so that's nice! ( )
  katebrarian | Jul 28, 2020 |
Jacob’s new dress is about a little boy who does not fit the traditional gender role stereotype with his love of wearing dresses. When Jacob decides to wear his dress to school instead of just wearing it at home he got confused and judgmental reactions. His teacher was at first hesitant that he would be picked on it for it, but Jacob knew the consequences and decided wear the dress anyway. When she saw that she quickly became accepting of it, and reassured him that it's okay to dress how he want to. Christopher a boy in his class bullied him for it. And his friend Emily was there to help him stand up to Christopher. I think this is a great book to teach acceptance. Jacob is strong in what he likes and feels comfortable with it, and his parents are supportive of their son and allow him to be himself. ( )
  Lorrennea | Oct 13, 2019 |
A pink boy is the male equivalent of a tomboy. Jacob is a pink boy, he likes dresses and other girl things as well as some boy things. He feels comfortable in a dress, but his classmates make fun of him. Jacob's mom is excepting of him, but she is also hesitant in letting him wear a dress to school. All she wants is for her son to be happy, but she doesn't want him to bullied for him being himself. Its a wonderful book for people of all ages to read, especially those that have a similar occurrence in their life. It can give you insight into that person's life. ( )
  Payton02 | Apr 14, 2019 |
Jacob's New Dress by Sarah Hoffman is an amazing picture book about a young boy named Jacob who does not identify with traditional gender roles. Instead of wearing shorts and shirts, Jacob feels most comfortable wearing a dress. This is a beautiful story that teaches children the importance of acceptance even if we do not understand one's reasoning for their actions or behaviors. It also addresses the emotions of parents and teachers who have a child that may not want to conform to their biological gender. I feel that this topic is starting to be written about more, and I could not be happier about it. I think this book would be inspiring to a child that may be in the same shoes as Jacob, and it can teach everyone a lesson on acceptance and empathy. ( )
  MargaretStrahan | Nov 15, 2018 |
Jacob is a young boy who loved to play dress up at school with his friend Emily, he also loved to wear dresses. Some of the kids at the school were not receptive of him wearing dresses, one of his classmates Christopher teased him when he wore dresses. Jacob's parents did not try to discourage him from wearing dresses, yet they encouraged him to be himself. Jacob and his mom made a dress together and his parents allowed him to wear it to school. This book shows how kids don't see gender roles at an early age and parents should allow their children to identify with what they are comfortable with. ( )
  slumar | Oct 2, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

For Sam Hoffman & Patrick Eleey:

our two generations of Jacob -- SH and IH
For Olivia, of course -- CC
Jacob ran to join Emily in the dress-up corner.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,686,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible