A Brief Theology of Sport by Lincoln Harvey

A Brief Theology of Sport

by Lincoln Harvey

A serious attempt to make sense of the universal impulse to play and watch sport. The book definitely makes good points but I found it lacking in scope and a bit simplistic. The topic is much bigger than this treatment will allow. It also tries to to reach both specialist theologian and lay reader; an impossible task and sometimes the theologizing gets away from him, especially in the last half. There were a few passages that were so dense I had to read then three times. Not really for the lay reader. I also agreed with another magazine reviewer who noted that Harvey seems to paint himself into a theological corner by an overly rigid approach. The treatment is not sufficiently nuanced or broad to make the conclusions he reaches. It was still well worth a read. ( )
  Roger.Carter | Jan 26, 2015 |

Sport is extremely popular. This ground-breaking book explains why. It shows that sport has everything to do with our deepest identity. It is where we resonate with the most-basic nature of reality. A Brief Theology of Sport sweeps across the fields of church history, philosophy and Christian doctrine, drawing the reader into a creative vision of sport. The book begins with an examination of how the Church has approached sport in the past, before turning to consider sport on the basis of the divine act of creation. In doing so, Harvey is able to distinguish sport from all other human activities, identifying it as a set-aside sphere in which the unnecessary-but-meaningful nature of life is celebrated. This constructive proposal is used to shed light on a wide range of issues in sport, including the role of competition, professionalization and celebrity culture today. As such, A Brief Theology of Sport constitutes a significant contribution to our understanding of the value of sport in human life. No one who reads this book will look at sport in the same way again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:15 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,235,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible