Open Secret by Deryn Collier

Open Secret

by Deryn Collier

831,035,133 (4.3)None

Every section of Open Secrets is crafted to get us further into each character, as well as to move the story (mystery) forward. I was always engaged, and never bored. ( )
  lois1 | Jul 21, 2015 |
Upon receiving notification that I had won this book as part of the First Reads program, I ran out and picked up Confined Space, which is the first novel in the Bern Fortin series. That was a good book and I hoped the next book would live up to my expectations. No worries there, because Deryn Collier surpassed my hopes. At this point, she is well on the way to being added to my short list of authors for whom I read new novels within a couple months of release -- currently only Chris Bohjalian and Joseph Boyden.

What can I say that won't reveal the secrets too early? First, there is an underlying story about why Bern Fortin left military service under a bit of a cloud. We learn enough about this main character to completely pique my curiosity (see my earlier comment about reading new releases).

Second, the primary story is told through several streams that converge at the climax. Contrary to many new authors, she delicately maintains the flow in her writing and resolves enough of each thread to keep the story moving.

Third, I love (love, love, love) how the complementary streams are advanced at the end of each chapter with a letter or a short glimpse.

Please, more! ( )
  bsiemens | Jun 1, 2015 |
The Good Stuff

Bern is a truly fascinating character. Author does an excellent job of creating a character who is obviously still dealing with PTSD
Interesting ti get a little bit more about Bern's backgrounds
Storyline was fascinating and had me hooked
Some of the story broke my heart as the characters felt all too real
Author has a gift for recreating a small BC town - again the setting feels authentic and the characters are realistic with many flaws - so basically like those in any community
Need to find out more about Bern's past and those of the rest of the town
An intelligent thriller - you really need to pay attention to all the little details

The Not So Good Stuff

Story jumped around a lot from the past to present and it often felt a little disjointed
Not enough details

Favorite Quotes/Passages

"Word was that his mother was now in a wheelchair and his father was serving a twenty-year sentence in the US for pot trafficking. Americans took their marijuana seriously."

"Bern locked eyes with the younger man and marveled that even the Canadian army count not reach inside some men and stamp out their will."

"The silent partners in this tragedy were the gangs at work behind the scenes. The master puppeteers. Their fingerprints were everywhere, they were to blame for everything, and yet they remained invisible. Perhaps he could find them while there was still something of a soldier left in him."

3.75/5 Dewey's

I received this from Simon and Schuster in exchange for an honest review

If you are interested in meeting Deryn Collier - she will be at the Calgary Public Library on March 18th along with Andrew Pyper and Nick Cutter (craig davidson) For more info ( )
  mountie9 | Mar 3, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,539,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible