Trillium by Jeff Lemire

Trillium

by Jeff Lemire

My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Dec 19, 2016 |
Jeff Lemire journeys into space for his latest indie project, making for a nice change of pace from what we're accustomed to. He still keeps the focus on being human, though, and his art continues to pull at the heartstrings.

Lemire also experiments with the form here, requiring readers to turn the book upside down in parts. I bought the print version rather than digital for this reason.

While I enjoyed Trillium all the way through, I'm not sure the story resonated with me quite as well as Lemire's previous works [b:The Underwater Welder|13602241|The Underwater Welder|Jeff Lemire|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1339596670s/13602241.jpg|19195376] and [b:The Complete Essex County|6096829|The Complete Essex County|Jeff Lemire|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347331192s/6096829.jpg|6273933]. Read those first if you're just getting into this excellent writer/artist's indie work. ( )
  wethewatched | Jan 7, 2016 |
It’s the year 3797 and botanist Nika Temsmith is researching a strange species on a remote space station at the far corner of colonized space. At the same time, it’s the year 1921 and English explorer William Pike is heading into the dense jungles of Peru in search of the “Lost Temples of the Incas.” Two different people. Two different time periods. Years and miles apart they are joined together in an event they cannot explain, love that cannot be denied, even though it means the end of the universe.

This is the tale that Jeff Lemire has crafted for us. One that weaves in and out of time, in worlds apart, with viruses, weird flowers, aliens, AI’s, and...well basically anything that you can imagine that you would want in a fantasy novel Lemire gives it to us telling us a story that crosses so many platforms and genres that it creates its own. Although at times confusing as we try to follow which reality we’re in (and what the heck just happened), its a tale that’s worth reading a couple of times and you see the intracices as things merge together.

I think Lemire has only gotten better with his art as he does new stories and this one is no exception. Characters created by deep brush strokes, with ink that seemingly leaps off the page at times to grab the reader and pull them in. And this work also has the added benefit of color which allow Lemire to create complex backgrounds and swirling jungles, while the characters still pop off the pages.

Its an entertaining ride and one that is worth going back to several times to see what was missed (and trust me you’ll miss stuff the first time around.) It’s one that will leave you scratching your head in a few places, and perhaps a mystery or two, but what’s life without a mystery or two? I give the book 4 out of 5 stars.

ARC provided by NetGalley ( )
  zzshupinga | Feb 9, 2015 |
This is one of those stories that feels almost like it was written just for me -- star-crossed lovers, timey-wimey shenanigans, historical fiction, alien languages (or scripts, at least), play with structure and format, plus a good story and an interesting art style. I read it all this afternoon, despite planning to go on to other things, as I got pulled further into the story, into the future and the past. Highly recommended, if you enjoy comics/graphic novels, or just good stories.
  kleos_aphthiton | Feb 8, 2015 |
A mesmerizing space opera which delves into time travel and maintaining a romantic story line. Lemire uses his raw art style here which takes me a bit to feel comfortable with but once I get used to it I found this style very suitable to the themes in the story. On Earth , early 1920s, WWII has taken it's toll on the people and exploration of the jungles looking for massive treasures of gold is still a hot pastime. In the 3600s humans live on an inhabitable planet but the sentient virus The Caul is quickly destroying all living races and is approaching this planet fast. The Blue people who worship Trillium flowers and black holes connect these two strangers from the past and they set out to save the human race and give meaning to their loveless and lonely lives by finally meeting in each other their soul mate. The ending is a bit esoteric, but only takes a couple of rereads of those last few pages to fully understand the meaning that hasn't been spelt out for you. An unusual science fiction tale told in Lemire's usual brilliant style. ( )
  ElizaJane | Aug 11, 2014 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,987,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible