Hellboy: The First 20 Years by Mike Mignola

Hellboy: The First 20 Years

by Mike Mignola

305367,255 (4)None

Art book. Gorgeous and high-quality, but extremely thin on commentary. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Hellboy. The demon that forged his own path to be more than a prophecy, more than what light or dark chose for him to be...to be his own man. It’s hard to believe but Hellboy has been with us since March of 1994. In the twenty years he’s been around, Mike Mignola, has told us Hellboy’s story and expanded the universe to include other characters and groups. Both Hellboy and Mignola have influenced the larger world of comics, with the thick blocky line illustration and characters that stand on the edge of a knife, constantly battling their darker nature in the fight to save the world that hates them.

In this oversized volume, Mignola present’s his favorite covers and illustrations of the Hellboy Universe. Key pieces are presented alongside sketches and studies to allow us an insider’s look into the thought process that created this vivid world. The one disappointment that I have with the book, is that there is not any commentary with the illustrations. It’s just strictly the illustrations, which is nice as it gives us a look into the thought process, but it would have been even better to see Mignola’s words with the art.

If you're an avid Hellboy/BPRD fan then this is definitely the book for you. Or if you’re a fan of Mignola’s artwork and storytelling, then you’ll enjoy this insiders look into the creative process. Either way you’ll enjoy the book. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  zzshupinga | Jul 12, 2014 |
If you are looking for a new Hellboy collection this isn't it. If you want Hellboy art without any words getting in the way then this is it. What I liked about it was you got to see some of the art before and after coloring. A nice collection of art and I enjoyed looking at it.

Digital review copy provided by the publisher through Netgalley ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-gL
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-gL ( )
  Saretta.L | Mar 4, 2014 |
A collection of Hellboy illustrations from over the years and done for various countries are assembled here.

The graphics are well done, and it is interesting to see the different techniques and development over time.

Overall, an interesting read. ( )
  catya77 | Mar 3, 2014 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,106,294 books! | Top bar: Always visible