A Tramp in Berlin: New Mark Twain Stories:…

A Tramp in Berlin: New Mark Twain Stories: an Account of Twain's… (2013)

by Andreas Austilat

1912537,190 (3.19)5

This is an interesting glimpse into Mark Twain's later years, travelling abroad with his family for an extended stay in Berlin, after he's already been lionized as the great American humorist. It can be a tad factual in places and really shines when we hear Twain's words themselves describing his experiences. The reader, of course, needs the factual content to be able to appreciate the Twain. All in all, this is an enjoyable book for fans of Samuel Clemens. ( )
  bkmcneil | Jul 17, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Chock o'block with information on Twain's time in Berlin, full of photographs and pictures of relevant sites/places/people, I thoroughly enjoyed this slim book! I honestly can't imagine a better resource for this period in Mark Twain's life. Every bit was well-researched and well-written (if sometimes a bit too academic - but that's a small thing) and covered every aspect of the time and place. Really interesting and wonderful, and it's made me want to read more Twain, especially his recently published autobiographies.

Many thanks to Berlinica and LT for this Early Reviewers copy! ( )
  LauraBrook | Jul 15, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Perhaps I had the wrong impression of A Tramp in Berlin. It's subtitle is what got me: New Mark Twain Stories. I supposed this meant the book would consist of, well, new Mark Twain stories. What I found instead was a second-hand account of Twain's visit to Berlin during 1891 and 1892. There were a few pages of original Twain material, but they did not amount to much. A short description of his first flat and the ordeal of obtaining it (this was actually quite humorous), a 3 page excerpt of a posthumously published story, a draft of a chapter of an unfinished manuscript, and an excerpt from a newspaper story of Twain's impressions of Berlin. The back of the book and the blurb published on Library Thing's Early Reviewer page (through which I obtained my copy) also emphasize the assemblage of Twain's unpublished Berlin stories and imply that Andreas Austilat's account is merely supplementary, although the latter comprises the bulk of material within the book.

Austilat's chronicle of Twain's time in Berlin is interesting enough, though I found the writing rather matter-of-fact and not particularly engaging. There are also loads of pictures of Berlin in the late nineteenth century and in the present day. Honestly, I would have enjoyed this book so much more if not for its (in my opinion) misleading marketing. ( )
  llamagirl | Jul 14, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Innocents Abroad is my favorite work by Twain and I was expecting more of the same with A Tramp in Berlin. Although there are small bits written by Twain, this is the history of his family's stay in Berlin during the winter of 1891-92. This was a trying time for him due to illness and finances. A Tramp in Berlin fills in the personal trials of the Clemens family in a way that he would never have revealed to the public readership of Mark Twain. ( )
  varielle | Jun 23, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wanted to be wowed, amazed and delighted with this book. Undiscovered Mark Twain! What's not to love? Obviously, I hadn't paid attention to the details outlined on the cover.

"A Tramp in Berlin" is a pleasant read, covering Twain's experience in hiring lodgings in Berlin, where he went, with whom he spoke, and what he likely did with his time. It includes excerpts from speeches, essays, letters and articles written by the master of satire about his time there. While some of these may have been previously unpublished, not all of them are entirely new. Mark Twain was a storyteller who could draw on the same story in various forms for decades. However, if you're looking for a whole book of newly discovered material written by Twain, you're looking at the wrong title.

For the die-hard Twain fans who must have everything about the man, go ahead and purchase. For everyone else, keep your expectations in check and you may enjoy the book.
  doomjesse | May 23, 2014 |
It was Mark Twain's gift for travel writing that first established his illuminating presence on the American literary stage. (foreword)
Berlin's Brandenburg Gate, crowned by a chariot carrying the Roman goddess Victoria, drawn by four bronze horses, leads to Pariser Platz.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Andreas Austilat's book A Tramp in Berlin was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Berlinica

2 editions of this book were published by Berlinica.

Editions: 193590292X, 1935902903

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,459,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible